Predictions for EURO 2016 Quarter-Finals

This Poland - Portugal tie is the first match of the tournament I am truly dreading. Both sides played terrible tactical football against more open opponents on Saturday in last 16, and I can only see this being a total snorefest, with perhaps a late goal in extra time being the only difference between them. The two main men, Lewandowski & Ronaldo have been utterly disappointing throughout and there is only so many times you can say they must turn up this time only to be rotten again. Had it been a Swiss - Croatia game I would be really looking forward to it as both teams have played good stuff and I could see a high-scoring entertaining encounter.

Hopefully I am as accurate with the above assessment as I have been at predicting the results and this ends 4-4 and goes to pens!

Portugal are a capable side but only tend to do enough to get by.

They have the quality that allows them to be able to do this against most teams with the likes of Queresma coming on to provide that wee bit extra, whether it be a final ball (eg. v Hungary) or a lung bursting run to nod in a goal (Croatia). When Hungary scored three, they scored three.

Renato Sanches, at 18 looks like he'll become one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe and these type of players often spread their wider fame in summer tournaments. Maybe he'll be the man tonight.

Generally a good consistent tournament side that is a level below the big hitters.

Poland struggle to beat teams but are are also difficult to beat so as you suggest, with the stakes being high this might start off with both prioritising not losing a goal..... but many thought that the Italians would do similar.

Bottomline, as we have demonstrated time and again, we'll have to wait and see because results and bookies profits show that we don't have much of a clue :lol:

Edited by buster.