Rangers fans' group in crisis as three chiefs quit in row over management

RANGERS FIRST have been rocked by the resignations of directors Brian Donohoe, Kelly Johnstone and Peter Ewart.

A RANGERS supporters’ group have been left in turmoil after three influential *figures quit in a row over management.

Former Labour MP Brian Donohoe resigned as a director of Rangers First amid concerns about governance.

Directors Kelly *Johnstone and Peter Ewart have also left.

Rangers First were set up two years ago to enable fans to buy shares in the club and get representation on the Ibrox board. Their mission was to protect the club from takeovers by hostile new owners such as Craig Whyte and Charles Green.

More than 14,000 *people have *contributed and they have raised enough money to buy a 3.2 per cent stake in the club. They also have £700,000 in the bank and are one of the UK’s biggest fans’ *ownership bodies.

Yet members are concerned over the way the group are being run and the decision to merge with other fans’ groups to form Club 1872.

Donohoe is concerned Rangers First do not have a register of members, approved minutes, a constitution, chairman or office bearers.

Questions have also been expressed about a failed proposal to give the club a £500,000 loan from their funds.

Donohoe said: “I feel Rangers First are operating to the benefit of the club and not fans. Certainly not to protect us against the possibility of another **** coming in like Whyte.”

Johnstone wrote: “The agenda of some is so blatant and motivated by self-interest it’s uncomfortable for me to be part of.”

Ewart said: “The new RF board have been tied pretty much from the beginning and carrying out duties as a director in a meaningful manner has become impossible.”

Rangers First said: “Rangers First has always been guided by the wishes of its members who voted overwhelmingly on three separate occasions to bring all the fan groups together into Club 1872.

“Perhaps this adherence to democracy did not suit everyone and it is true that some were acting in self-interest and contrary to the wishes of members. Thankfully, however, they have removed themselves and we can now proceed unobstructed with the business of uniting all Rangers fans together with Club 1872.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fans-group-crisis-three-8337416#gBlg1ie5Kk3pSZ4W.99

I agree TB I don't buy the written press, why give them my money?, however something didn't sit well in all this and the phrase "self interest" worries me as imo it certainly wouldn't surprise me. I am not familiar with anyone in power in this organisation however, in any organisation, narcissism and self interest often go hand in hand and are a combustible combination. I hope they sort this shit out!.

I agree TB I don't buy the written press, why give them my money?, however something didn't sit well in all this and the phrase "self interest" worries me as imo it certainly wouldn't surprise me. I am not familiar with anyone in power in this organisation however, in any organisation, narcissism and self interest often go hand in hand and are a combustible combination. I hope they sort this shit out!.

Accusations of self interest is often created through jealousy. Not always but very often. I don't know anything about this case by the way.

Aye Pete, that's a fair summary too, it all looks bad and although I don't encourage the written press, there are many who do, and it seems they will jump all over us at any given opportunity. I would like to think everyone has the clubs best interests 100% at heart, but I do know a little about human nature and it would be miraculous if everyone had the best interests of the club 100% at heart, everyone has an angle, an agenda, the best we can hope is that they mix well.

The whole thing has been an absolute mess from day one , it's been rushed through and a shambles , those involved from the RF side were told and pleaded with to calm down and at least pause , but no they knew best , There are now thousands of RF members who will be asking what is going on , never felt so let down by my fellow so called fans.

One other thing , from the only time I had any interaction with Brian Donohoe he was a complete idiot who ,1. Didn't even understand what was happening between the two groups , and 2. Had no clue about conflicts of interests .

Edited by rbr

The whole thing has been an absolute mess from day one , it's been rushed through and a shambles , those involved from the RF side were told and pleaded with to calm down and at least pause , but no they knew best , There are now thousands of RF members who will be asking what is going on , never felt so let down by my fellow so called fans.

One other thing , from the only time I had any interaction with Brian Donohoe he was a complete idiot who ,1. Didn't even understand what was happening between the two groups , and 2. Had no clue about conflicts of interests .

Didn't the vast majority vote for the broader changes ?

How many are currently making a noise and why ?

While on a different matter, but essentially the same topic, fan ownership of a club needs to be done/overseen by people who know what they are doing and doing it well. People with good intentions are fine, but at the end of the day, some simply remain human beings.

Didn't the vast majority vote for the broader changes ?

How many are currently making a noise and why ?

The vast majority had no idea what they were actually voting for , the way the question was structured made sure of that , go back and look at how it was phrased

Both groups members voted overwhelmingly in favour of merger. Why not let the merged group get on with getting things up and running? As long as there is no financial mismanagement going on( no evidence of this) then I'm happy to let those remains get on with the job.

As I've said before there will always be those who just snipe and smear from the sidelines, but they are a small minority. One guy in particular has fought a daily battle on line to stop this being a success, this is a guy who stood for RF board but was not elected.