Vandals launch THIRD vile attack on the memory of the Ibrox disaster victims

SCUM!

5246536.png?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

VANDALS have launched another vile attack on the memory of the Ibrox disaster victims.

Our sister paper The Greenock Telegraph reports that hate-filled messages targeting Rangers fans who died in the tragedy were found for the THIRD time in a week on buildings in Port Glasgow.

Outraged councillor David Wilson was stunned when he learned that abusive taunts like ‘66 Ha Ha Ha’ had been painted at the town’s Orange Halls.

Mr Wilson, who had himself painted over the original abuse at the former Playtex factory, said: “This is an absolute disgrace.

“The abuse has been condemned by people from all backgrounds in Port Glasgow.

“It has absolutely no place in this town. We have to all come together to condemn this.

“We have a shared campus here and there has not been a spot of bother. Pupils at both schools get along great.”

Speaking on behalf of the Port Glasgow Orange Halls, the executive officer of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland, Robert McLean, said: “We are concerned that this attack on our hall is an attack on our religion and faith and feel the matter should be treated by Police Scotland as a ‘religious hate crime’.

“We would urge anyone with information to contact the police and have this sort of crime eradicated from the modern, tolerant society that Scotland should be.”

In the original taunts, ‘Die Hunz 66’ was scrawled on the walls of the former factory in the Port Glasgow industrial estate. The graffiti mocks the fans who were killed in Scotland’s worst ever football disaster 45 years ago. The sickening taunts also included other slogans like ‘IRA’ – in support of the terrorist organisation.

Councillor Wilson has been heartened by the show of support from other local members, including council leader Stephen McCabe and fellow Port councillor Jim MacLeod.

He has also contacted the local community police officers and the community wardens to express his growing concern.

An Inverclyde Council spokesman said: “Responsibility for removing graffiti from privately owned buildings rests with the owners.

“However we are stepping up patrols by community wardens in the area and working with Police Scotland to help tackle this problem.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14598921.Vandals_launch_THIRD_vile_attack_on_the_memory_of_the_Ibrox_disaster_victims/?

What on earth has the West Coast of Scotland become ?

I used to call this home - now I barely want to admit I come from the West Coast. So sickening to see people making light of so many innocent deaths, young and old, men, women and children. What the fuck has become of society that this is even considered "fun" ?

When I were a lad - I'm not THAT old, only 43 - both sides of the Old Firm supporters would have been mortified by this type of behavior. The vast majority of Celtic fans should, and most probably are, embarrassed by such actions - despicable doesn't even begin to describe it.

All that aside though, I have to say that things like this will only see OF game days as powder kegs now. I really wish we could have escaped the whole bitter, vitriolic, anti-Rangers hate-fest that Scottish football has become !

couldn't agree more Craig. I am in my early 40s too and remember playing football growing up with mates who were Celtic fans and everyone had a wind up. This kind of stuff would NEVER have happened. I'm afraid that when I can back from abroad in my twenties I noticed a change, a subtle change to be honest, just the usual stuff though, however over the last 4/5 years I would say it has become a hate filled cesspit. I must also say very objectively that it is not coming from our side although the politicians and media would have you believe differently, the phrase "me thinks you protest to much" springs to mind.

I can't even psychologically explain that kind of behaviour, they don't know the victims or their families, so I guess its just a vacuum to vent their overall hatred for what it is in their mind that they think we stand for? I'm too close and emotion too it. I would prefer to just call them a shower of f*****g idiots!!

I'm afraid there are many like them here now mate, sadly.

Edited by cooponthewing

It's the specific repeated daubing of, "66 HaHa".

Back at the turn of the year, it was that phrase painted on the wall at the bottom of the stairs at Harrison Drive(where stairway 13 culminated back in the day). I saw it last Autumn on a wall near the Tall Cranes bar, Craigton Road, and now three times in ten days in Port Glasgow. It appears to be trending.

What on earth has the West Coast of Scotland become ?

I used to call this home - now I barely want to admit I come from the West Coast. So sickening to see people making light of so many innocent deaths, young and old, men, women and children. What the fuck has become of society that this is even considered "fun" ?

When I were a lad - I'm not THAT old, only 43 - both sides of the Old Firm supporters would have been mortified by this type of behavior. The vast majority of Celtic fans should, and most probably are, embarrassed by such actions - despicable doesn't even begin to describe it.

All that aside though, I have to say that things like this will only see OF game days as powder kegs now. I really wish we could have escaped the whole bitter, vitriolic, anti-Rangers hate-fest that Scottish football has become !

Totally agree disasters such as this used to bring the 2 clubs together and both club and fans were united in grief, in the same way when Tommy Burns died and when Davie Cooper died. Both clubs would put rivalries to one side.

It would be nice to see a joint statement issued by Rangers and Celtic condemning these mindless morons.

I suggest Police Scotland contact Sellik Supporters Association heid bummer, Mad Joe O'Rourke. A denizen of ra Port/Greenock, he has previous in his current designation. Only a couple of years past, the former shipyard Shop Steward broadcast his emotions reference the sinking of the Titanic, "it's a pity more of those that built it, didn't sail on it". I am sure Joe is consistent, his compassion for fellow shipyard workers extends to fellow football fans?

Oh, and Justice Minister, Michael Mathieson and Lord Advocate, Frank Mullholland will be urging fellow happy hoopster, Joe to point ra Polis in the right direction.

I believe the last 4/5 years the hatred has intensified,I also remember having banter with fans of different teams but that is no longer the case and I'm in the East!

100% agree with this Ian. I used to have good banter with the Jambos and Hibs guys in my work but all they want to go on about even yet is Newco this Newco that. Does my head in to be honest