Martyn Waghorn and James Tavernier reject Rangers contract offers

Both players want to be rewarded for key role in club’s promotion

• Manager Mark Warburton yet to also sign new deal at Ibrox

Rangers’ return to the Scottish Premiership could be hampered by the loss of two key players, after Martyn Waghorn and James Tavernier rejected new contracts from the Ibrox club.

English sides have now been alerted to the duo’s unhappiness over how negotiations have unfolded. Mark Warburton, the Rangers manager, is also still to sign a new deal, which has been under discussion since May.

Since the end of last season, Rangers have signed Joey Barton and Jordan Rossiter on what is believed to be vastly superior terms to Waghorn and Tavernier. The club captain Lee Wallace has also signed a new contract.

Offers made to Waghorn and Tavernier – they have existing deals until 2018 – were rejected around a month ago, with apparently no current scope for renegotiation. The pair are keen to stay in Glasgow and have relished their time there, but they also want to be rewarded for what they believe has been a key role in Rangers’ rejuvenation. Warburton’s own scenario also remains a point of intrigue, although the manager has swatted aside any suggestion that he could leave Scotland imminently.

Both Waghorn and Tavernier were star performers as Rangers cantered to the second-tier title last season and reached the Scottish Cup final. Waghorn, a former Sunderland and Wigan striker, scored 28 goals in all competitions despite suffering an injury in mid-February which left him out of action until May. The 24-year-old right back Tavernier played in every league game of the previous season, scoring 15 times in all competitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/martyn-waghorn-james-tavernier-reject-rangers-contract-offer?

Tavernier was a bomb scare for long periods of the second half of the season. His display in the cup final was shocking. Waghorn was decent but he's no world beater. Want to move on guys? Feel free and thanks for your time.

The important point is that the Club is offering them improved terms. The players and/or their agent(s) are jockeying for

further enhancement. This strikes me as something that goes on day and daily, at this time of year.

I am inclined to suggest that this is mischief making from Murray at the Guardian (neither journalist nor paper are

friends to Rangers) because there is no information on Warburton's next acquisitions.

Really, the press should be concentrating on the Resolution 12 bouncing bomb, about to blast Scottish fitba' to smithereens, at or about 6pm,

tonight, Friday, just when any and all offices of concerned parties are closed for business for the week end. (And when all the anti sellik conspirators

will be away at The Big Walk).

Edited by Uilleam

Complete non story, aimed at unsettling us from a broadsheet Rangers hating media outlet. I have never regularly read the guardian(it's the suggested objective academic outlet) I used to read the Independent or the i, now I don't buy any mainstream press at all, I get my news online.

Why would we give these players whopping contracts until we know they can cut it at the top level? They have two years left on the current contracts!

Complete non story, aimed at unsettling us from a broadsheet Rangers hating media outlet. I have never regularly read the guardian(it's the suggested objective academic outlet) I used to read the Independent or the i, now I don't buy any mainstream press at all, I get my news online.

Why would we give these players whopping contracts until we know they can cut it at the top level? They have two years left on the current contracts!

Can't see this being based on nothing.

Could be agitating agents have provided The Guardian with the story.