#GoingFor55 - Is it really achievable?

I also think MOH will kick on this season due to the competition for a starting place,he has tremendous pace with the ball and has had time to settle into MW way of playing,and Holt really can make the next step up by scoring more goals from midfield,all in all it is exciting and I do expect to push for the title.

I realise the opposition wasn't of much quality in the LC but the way we dispatched them with a minimum of fuss, with the only complaint really being not scoring more than 10 goals, we seem to have progressed and moved up a level. Although we started a bit edgy against Motherwell, it was really only 15 minutes before we completely dominated them - and they are usually one of the better SP sides.

We more than matched Celtic last year albeit under a poor manager, and a team where they under-spent, and of course, they were under a huge amount of pressure.

Our additions, while at times looking underwhelming on paper, have really looked good on the pitch, and we seem in great shape. I think our football has really improved from a great start of last season, and we seem to have more strings to our bow while keeping a sense of continuity and togetherness.

Celtic have a new manager and are already looking like having difficulty hitting the ground running, and I don't recall them having done that much in the transfer market.

Again the pressure on them is far greater and as their fans are generally hysterical at any competition from us due to their new found superiority complex, I think it gives us a big advantage in winning psychology. The more they indulge in the new club fantasy, as well as seeing us as the diddy promoted side, the more they will go into meltdown if we show them we are superior.

We just have to be careful of getting ahead of ourselves, and expecting too much.

If we challenge, it will come at the start, the autumnal part of the season. Sustaining that challenge will be dependent upon a number of factors.

1. Signing a 20-25 goal per season striker.

2. The Yahoos being the Europa League. Denied the riches of the Champions League for a third season on the trot is most helpful in the medium to long term; the short term advantage is having them play on Thursday evenings, thus playing league games on a Sunday.

3. Hubristic opposition managers. How many are prepared to listen to the demands of their venom spitting fans. Will Brendan and Derek listen to wee Joe and Liam McLeod claiming Rangers are rotten? Teams that present space to us will be dispatched like Dundee last season.

If, and I think it remains a huge IF, we are in a challenging position after the winter break; I hope the Board back the manager.

I understand everyone's hesitation in running before we can walk, so to speak.

However as a club and an institution we have never went into anything thinking or accepting second best.

We are a fantastic side going forward who are able to cut open a defence at the drop of a hat. The only weakness we have is that within that attacking philosophy there lies the danger of a weak defence.

As we stand I am extremely confident we can not only compete but will be challenging for the next title. It will be close, yes, and we will have a clearer indication after the first few weeks, however we have the talent, the strength in depth, and I firmly believe the fortitude and belief to win the title.

We are The Rangers, second is last.

Edited by cooponthewing

Celtic showed in the cup against us that they're a pretty dreadful side - the worst I've ever seen them. Their European performance so far this season doesn't suggest much improvement. Yes, we should absolutely be challenging for the title this season and any deviation from that will not be good enough.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Another well written and produced article from John. It is interesting that while we come to the same conclusion (I believe we will win the title and have put my money where my mouth is), I disagreed with his assessments of many of the players he discusses, with the exception of McKay who I think he gets spot on.

Thats what makes it such an interesting story for us this season, as we dont really know what yet what the manager believes will be his strongest 11, if he will rotate the squad more than he did last year other than just with subs, who we may get in on loan at the end of August when teams look to offload their bright young stars to get experience, what striker/defender we will bring in before the window closes, and who out of the new players will maintain a good level of form and who may be disappointing or not fit in.

All that is before we find out if he will change the shape for the tougher away games, and if he will change the shape to either push for a winner or close out a slender lead, basically if he has learned from the mistakes of last season (not that there were many). As with players, we want the manager, still relatively inexperienced, to progress and develop as well.

We simply must hit the ground running, and win our first 4 games to go into the first OF game with at least a 3 point lead due to their ridiculous situation of cancelling a league game to play a friendly. If we do that the likelihood is that we will be more than 3 points ahead as the bheasts have a tough opening 3 games before we go to the San Giro, and all the pressure will be on them, more so after the SCSF, and if they havent made the CL groups they will be under pressure from that as well.

All very interesting and it is great to be looking forward to a season with such anticipation and positivity.

in a word.....YES.

MW has build a good solid TEAM of players. So far this season, the LC matches have shown a lot of patience & discipline within the team. They have maintained "formation" & playing ethos. They also haven't panicked about scoring - everything is done in a controlled manner.

If we keep the ball moving at a decent pace, there is no reason why it can't continue in the SPFL - it's really not that big a jump up from the Championship. We have also shown that our playing style is effective against SPFL team - Celtic & Motherwell