[FT] Rangers 1 (Mee og 75) - 3 Burnley (Gray 5 pen, 17, 53)

Poor defensively first half but we did improve as the game went on.

Burnley are the best team we'll play by far this season and it showed via their organisation and quality on the counter. I thought the penalty was very soft but they cut through us three times far too easily and it came from the midfield as well as poor cover in defence.

After that we struggled to really get forward to try and get a goal back but we did get better for the last 10-15mins of the half and could have had a goal during this period.

An excellent test and, despite the result, I'm enjoying the game and particularly Peter Lovenkrands' very accurate analysis.

We've learned nothing new really. We're struggling to beat a well-organised press, and the mistakes we do make -- although less than last season, there have been a few instances this season thus far -- are well punished by a prolific and clinical striker in Gray.

Organisation at the back is still poor and Kranjcar and Halliday haven't helped Barton cover -- Hill really shouldn't have to close the ball-carrier! Incidentally, I think Wilson and Kiernan would've been a better pairing... Hill is good when he has a high ball to attack though.

Edited by Rousseau

Agree we look sluggish and tbh I felt at times a little uninterested? Nothing I can really add to what's been said. Burnley are slicker and quicker in the very dept.

We could lose another couple if we are not carefull. Hill is slow and Keirnan looks lost. Having said all that we did improve although I didn't really think we looked like scoring. Miller is well off the pace.

I don't think it's pace up front, it's movement that is the issue: Miller needs someone to link with, and Halliday, Kranjcar haven't really provided it. Halliday has done a lot of running, but Kranjcar doesn't have the stamina for this game; WIndass might be a better option, but he's not in the squad. I think I'd prefer a Dodoo rather than Miller, with Waghorn through the middle.

We do need more pace at the back, but they really should be helped by the midfield more. Barton can't cover what is essentially 4 players (Vokes, Gray, Arfield and Boyd)!

IMHO, we did and do not need Miller and Halliday today ... IF Barton and Waghorn are on the park. Tenacity and pace is required, so Forrester and O'Halloran for me, Dodoo and Rossiter too.

Do keep in mind that we haven't faced such opposition in months (if not years), and we look rather hapless for about 35 mins. Got into it late on and may adapt in the second half. As I said, a good test to show us where we are. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves still though. Season hasn't started yet.