The Referee.

Eh ?

How do you work that out ? What did the ref get wrong ?

From my viewpoint the only reason Chelsea got as much as a draw was because of the ref - Costa's goal would have been chalked off by many refs (dangerous play - whether I agree or not is a different matter) and Fabregas could easily have given a penalty away to Ki at the edge of the box)

...and Leicester in 16th place :laugh:

I think everyone including Leicester themselves knew what they did was a one off never to be repeated and they now appear to have immediately fallen back to their more accustomed position.

Eh ?

How do you work that out ? What did the ref get wrong ?

From my viewpoint the only reason Chelsea got as much as a draw was because of the ref - Costa's goal would have been chalked off by many refs (dangerous play - whether I agree or not is a different matter) and Fabregas could easily have given a penalty away to Ki at the edge of the box)

I was specifically thinking of Swansea's second: no way is that not a foul. I was certainly expecting Costa's second to be chalked off, but that rule annoys me anyway, as it takes these wonderful sights (overhead/bicycle kicks) out of the game. That was was a dive from Ki; Fabregas was tight/tugging, but he just drops to the ground, embarrassingly.

I concede I'm biased, but I thought Chelsea were very good and deserved to win the game. Swansea were average, but took advantage of a Chelsea mistake for their first and the Referee made a mistake for their second. I suppose that's what the PL is all about?

I was specifically thinking of Swansea's second: no way is that not a foul. I was certainly expecting Costa's second to be chalked off, but that rule annoys me anyway, as it takes these wonderful sights (overhead/bicycle kicks) out of the game. That was was a dive from Ki; Fabregas was tight/tugging, but he just drops to the ground, embarrassingly.

I concede I'm biased, but I thought Chelsea were very good and deserved to win the game. Swansea were average, but took advantage of a Chelsea mistake for their first and the Referee made a mistake for their second. I suppose that's what the PL is all about?

I agree that it was a foul - Fer clipped Cahill and prevented the back pass - so that brings us to a 2-1 Chelsea win. However, by definition, Costa's equalizer was dangerous play and should have been chalked off, therefore 1-1. Then you have the Fabregas "challenge" on Ki at the edge of the box which could very, very easily have been a penalty. If Fabregas is "tugging" then it is contact and it is a foul, and ergo a penalty. Again, like it or not, contact was made by Fabregas - I almost guarantee you that at 2-1 on Saturday had Miller or Garner done the same thing you would be screaming "penalty" :ninja:

That rule annoys me too - however, it is in the rule book that high feet is dangerous play, regardless of the situation - so the goal should have been disallowed.

Chelsea played very well, I agree. But to suggest the ref cost them the game is unfair. Chelsea dropped points because of Chelsea. They were complacent in defence and, despite their display, were pretty lucky to get a point in the end.

In fact, blaming the ref looks even more unfair when you consider that he COULD have sent Courtois off for the penalty he gave away. It was one of those where you couldn't really complain if he was sent packing because the Chelsea defender was struggling to get back to cover the goal.

Edited by craig

I agree that it was a foul - Fer clipped Cahill and prevented the back pass - so that brings us to a 2-1 Chelsea win. However, by definition, Costa's equalizer was dangerous play and should have been chalked off, therefore 1-1. Then you have the Fabregas "challenge" on Ki at the edge of the box which could very, very easily have been a penalty. If Fabregas is "tugging" then it is contact and it is a foul, and ergo a penalty. Again, like it or not, contact was made by Fabregas - I almost guarantee you that at 2-1 on Saturday had Miller or Garner done the same thing you would be screaming "penalty" :ninja:

That rule annoys me too - however, it is in the rule book that high feet is dangerous play, regardless of the situation - so the goal should have been disallowed.

Chelsea played very well, I agree. But to suggest the ref cost them the game is unfair. Chelsea dropped points because of Chelsea. They were complacent in defence and, despite their display, were pretty lucky to get a point in the end.

In fact, blaming the ref looks even more unfair when you consider that he COULD have sent Courtois off for the penalty he gave away. It was one of those where you couldn't really complain if he was sent packing because the Chelsea defender was struggling to get back to cover the goal.

Fair enough. Like I said, I am probably -- or most definitely -- biased. However, I felt most of the decisions were down to interpretation, so you can argue one way or the other, but I felt that Swansea 2nd was just wrong.

Fair enough. Like I said, I am probably -- or most definitely -- biased. However, I felt most of the decisions were down to interpretation, so you can argue one way or the other, but I felt that Swansea 2nd was just wrong.

I felt Chelsea's 2nd was just wrong.

Going by the rulebook and all that.... The ref gave more decisions in favor of Chelsea than Swansea IMHO - therefore to blame the ref for dropped points is a stretch.

I felt Chelsea's 2nd was just wrong.

Going by the rulebook and all that.... The ref gave more decisions in favor of Chelsea than Swansea IMHO - therefore to blame the ref for dropped points is a stretch.

Ha! You're just arguing for the sake of arguing! IMHO it really doesn't matter if the "ref gave more decisions in favor of Chelsea" (which I disagree with) because they were mostly a matter of interpretation. For me the only decision he got "wrong" was the Swansea 2nd. He's not "wrong" to not rule out the Chelsea 2nd because it's all about degrees for that one, same with Fabregas.

Anyway, it's done now. It is just my opinion at the end of the day. We can agree to disagree.

Edited by Rousseau