[FT] Rangers 5 (Holt 33; Halliday 62; Waghorn 63, 71, 83) - 0 Queen of the South

ARTICLE BY FRANKIE

It's far from easy to win the Scottish Championship. Ally McCoist couldn't do it. Neither could Stuart McCall or Alan Stubbs. Highly thought of young managers such as Alex Rae and Ian Murray struggled with their teams and even the 'remarkable human being' Neil Lennon isn't guaranteed to win it this year either. After all, tonight's visitors Queen of the South are ahead of them in the table and the Leith side also travel to Dumfries on Saturday.

One man that has done it though is Mark Warburton. The Rangers manager achieved this quite comfortably in his first season in charge. Early wins against our main challengers Hibs and Falkirk gave his new look side (and style) a great start and the team never really looked back. Sure there were stumbles along the way but by the time the title was clinched in early April this year, we were well clear and could afford to enjoy the rest of the campaign under no pressure. The Challenge Cup followed (hardly a glamorous feat but something we'd failed to do in the previous three years) and an victory over Celtic in the Scottish Cup was savoured by us all. Despite a poor end to the season - two draws and two defeats in our last four league matches as well defeat to Hibs in the Scottish Cup final - confidence was high Warburton could help us mount an immediate challenge upon promotion this term. This increased with the signatures of new players such as Joey Barton, Niko Kranjcar and Jordan Rossiter.

Unfortunately, the reality in the top division has been less positive. Only two wins in seven league matches and a heavy defeat away to Celtic means we're currently only in fifth position ahead of tonight's tough League Cup match. Add in a tricky trip to Aberdeen this Sunday and self-inflicted suspensions to our marquee signing Barton then the manager's extended honeymoon period is well and truly over. In fact, the Englishman is now under severe pressure with he and his players struggling to adapt to the higher standard of the Scottish Premiership.

In some ways, it's difficult to put a finger on exactly why the team are struggling. Our squad is better (and deeper) than last year, most players seem fit enough and we've looked stronger than others later in games. Indeed, we've again only had a few injuries. Despite this, we appear a yard slower than some sides and have lost our previous qualities in dominating the ball and playing with a high tempo. Worse, we're not scoring enough goals whilst still conceding far too many ourselves.

All things considered, while the players and manager can argue we're learning from this after every poor result, if we are, then it's a very slow process. Moreover, our inability to strengthen our central defence efficiently over the summer is bordering on negligent. Yes, we may have missed out on our three main targets (Mariappa, Tibi and Espinosa) but to be scrambling around the freebie market so late in the window doesn't reflect well on a recruitment process that had been reasonably good until then. The ongoing Joey Barton sideshow also suggests a gamble that hasn't paid off.

Unfortunately, the biggest and most simple problem is that few players are performing well enough. Josh Windass looks to be an inspired piece of scouting, Jordan Rossiter impressed before injury, James Tavernier has continued to improve at right back and Wes Foderingham has been blameless in goal. Unfortunately, the rest of the squad haven't stepped up. Yes, we've suffered from the loss of Holt and Waghorn to injury but erstwhile reliable performers such as Wallace and McKay have looked well short of form (and confidence) as well. Add in the inability of new players like Kranjcar and Barton to get up to speed then our play has been disjointed at best. No wonder then our best performance of the season (if not result) came last Saturday with a more recognised XI (and system) compared to previous games. It's no coincidence the energy and mobility of Jason Holt sparked our midfield into life. Meanwhile, although Martyn Waghorn still didn't look completely fit, I've no doubts he and Joe Garner will form the kind of relationship that will deliver goals going forward.

Onto this evening's match then and the quality of the opposition should see a strong team deployed. The manager has talked of a début for Matt Crooks (after several months out with an ankle injury) and the return from injury and suspension of Rob Kiernan, Joe Dodoo and Phillipe Senderos respectively but I can't see any of these lads starting. Warburton may be tempted into playing Lee Hodson but the quicker we get Wallace back to form the better. Similarly, whilst Clint Hill and Danny Wilson may not be our preferred first choice central pairing, they did well on Saturday so perhaps deserve another chance tonight. The threat of former Rangers player Stephen Dobbie will certainly need to be dealt with carefully. Can Kiernan and Senderos be trusted with that task?

Moving into midfield and this unit's performance was the most pleasing aspect of an otherwise disappointing 0-0 draw with Ross County. Andy Halliday looked comfortable back in the holding role whilst Holt and Windass combined well in more attacking positions. The latter in particular looks to be an exciting signing and may well be the first name on the team-sheet right now. Again the manager may fancy bringing in Forrester or Kranjcar but I'd argue finding a settled team would be more agreeable ahead of an increasingly difficult schedule.

That argument can also be applied to our attack. We have several options for the front three positions but none have really grasped the nettle in that sense. Many have shown brief glimpses of what they can offer but it's perhaps only Kenny Miller that has delivered any kind of consistency. The veteran striker will never be the most natural of goalscorers but his efforts in linking the play and helping create space often go unnoticed by his critics. In that sense, it's up to the manager to balance our attack with width, pace and goals as well. Unfortunately, McKay has looked jaded recently and perhaps needs a rest. Similarly, whilst the calls for O'Halloran to start have often been loud, when he does feature he does little to suggest he should be a first pick. Meanwhile new signings Dodoo and Garner are still finding their feet - though both look capable of supplying goals. But only if they get the supply to do so. With that in mind, should Harry Forrester be played on the wing and where do we fit in the threat of Waghorn?

All the above conundrums are difficult to answer but quick solutions must be found. Nevertheless, there's no doubt in my mind our squad is good enough to do a lot better than it has done so far this season. A realistic title challenge may be too much to ask but second place has to be the minimum we expect. However our form so far has left us scrambling for points and we're not yet out of September. Sure, it's early days and the gelling of over ten new players into our squad will take time but the clock is ticking on all concerned. The manager may not appreciate the criticism in the papers but, the less constructive stuff aside, he can't expect anything else after such a mediocre league start.

To conclude, if last year was a gentle introduction to the goldfish bowl of Scottish football, this season is definitely a belated baptism of fire for Mark Warburton. The attention placed upon him will be higher than he's ever dealt with before and it's important he reacts positively to it. He can complain about the media all he likes but he'd be better served noting the increasing impatience amongst the Rangers support. Some of that associated criticism is unfair but until his team responds with a period of good form - and results - then his successes at Brentford and last season in the Championship will look a long, time ago. I, for one, would like to hear that magic hat song again. Let's hope we do tonight...

Possible team:

rfc_qots.jpg

DB's addons ...

Tuesday - 20th September 2016 - 19.45

Scottish League Cup - Quarter Final

Ibrox Stadium

scorangers.pngversus Queen_of_the_South_FC_logo_New%20Kopie.gif

Referee - Don Robertson

Assistants - Alan Mulvanny and Stephen Mitchell

Fourth Official - Crawford Allan

Missing - Jordan Rossiter (calf), Joey Barton (suspended)

Live on - BT Sport and Rangers TV

MW said in his interview that Matt Crooks, Josh Dodoo, Phillipe Senderos and Rob Kiernan are all back in contention.

Edited by der Berliner

Would be happy to see a line-up along these names ...

Gilks

Tavernier - Hill - Wilson - Hodson

Holt - Halliday - Windass

O'Halloran - Waghorn - Forrester

Some stability in the spine, plus more game time for Holt and Waghorn. Forrester and O'Halloran deserve a starting chance, then bring on Dodoo, Kranjcar and Crooks.

Definitely a liberty dB to start the thread without an article!

I'll hazard a guess at a team:

Gilks;

Hodson, Senderos, Wilson, Wallace;

Windass, Kranjcar, Holt,

Waghorn, Miller, Forrester

That said, Warburton has as big a hard on for Kiernan as I have for Krnajcar so he may start in place of Wilson; though I think Senderos and Wilson is our best combination.

I'm sure Hodson will play and it's anyone's guess whether it would RB or LB.

I've gone for Miller as FGS but he may have to sit this one out if O'Halloran gets a run; Waghorn will definitely start and doubt Mackay will get closer than the bench.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I would go for;

Gilks

Tav Senderos Hill Hodson

Holt Crooks Windass

OHalloran Garner Forrester

And in the style of MW the subs would be Waghorn for OHalloran (60 mins), Dodoo for Forrester (60 mins) and Nico for Crooks (75 mins)

I would be giving Wallace & McKay a rest as they both look jaded to me, and I want to see a central defensive partnership without the double trouble act of W&K that have had far too many chances and fluffed them all. It looks the right time to give Crooks his debut in his favoured holding slot (so im told - I thought he preferred CH ), and give MOH a start to see if he can do anything but run into trouble, i'm starting to doubt him so go and grab a shirt Michael and make it your own.

Would be good to see Crooks although I suspect that would be as a substitute.

Kranjcar one of these enigma players: undoubted skill, with great flashes of it, but not enough contribution to the game in general. I'm hoping he's just unfit and needing some game time, as we need an increase in quality, and the only one who has unequivocally supplied that so far, is Windass. Although Rossiter has shown promise and maybe Garner will come good.

(Since there is no-one listed for the preview, I took the liberty and start a thread with some facts ...)

Tuesday - 20th September 2016 - 19.45

Scottish League Cup - Quarter Final

Ibrox Stadium

scorangers.pngversus Queen_of_the_South_FC_logo_New%20Kopie.gif

Referee - Don Robertson

Assistants - Alan Mulvanny and Stephen Mitchell

Fourth Official - Crawford Allan

Missing - Jordan Rossiter (calf), Joey Barton (suspended)

Live on - BT Sport and Rangers TV

MW said in his interview that Matt Crooks, Josh Dodoo, Phillipe Senderos and Rob Kiernan are all back in contention.

If you guys would read the preview thread then you would have seen this:

I'll do tomorrow night's game as part of a longer piece on the team's form. :)

DB I know you do a lot for the German site and I don't mean this as a snide remark but you are entirely welcome to write a preview or other piece for here now and again.:)

Edited by pete

I would go for;

Gilks

Tav Senderos Hill Hodson

Holt Crooks Windass

OHalloran Garner Forrester

And in the style of MW the subs would be Waghorn for OHalloran (60 mins), Dodoo for Forrester (60 mins) and Nico for Crooks (75 mins)

I would be giving Wallace & McKay a rest as they both look jaded to me, and I want to see a central defensive partnership without the double trouble act of W&K that have had far too many chances and fluffed them all. It looks the right time to give Crooks his debut in his favoured holding slot (so im told - I thought he preferred CH ), and give MOH a start to see if he can do anything but run into trouble, i'm starting to doubt him so go and grab a shirt Michael and make it your own.

That team looks alright however I don't know if Hodson can play LB. Personally I'd give Tav a rest too and put Hodson on at RB. So my team would look something like;

Gilks

Hodson------------ Senderos ----- Hill-------------- Halliday

Holt------- Crooks------- Forrester

(O'Halloran, Dodoo)-------- Garner --------- Windass

I don't think Warburton will start Crooks I think he'll start Halliday as DFM and give Crooks 20-30 in the second half. Wallace will play as will Waghorn to get him back to being match sharp. He might start Garner and replace him with Dodoo same time as Crooks comes on. Although I don't see Dodoo is any kind of centre Warburton does. Of course depending on whether he plays Windass like Stanely did as an OL or as an IL where Forrester plays that could be an interesting partnership to see with Crooks.