Brendan Rodgers questions BT Sport over showing Craig Gordon tackle FOURTEEN times...

...having only replayed Harry Forrester's TWICE the previous night.

HOOPS boss unhappy with TV station for replaying keeper's rash lunge on Alloa's Greig Spence and admits he doesn't think it was a red card offence.

BRENDAN RODGERS demanded an explanation why BT Sport put Celtic red card calls under the microscope while Rangers hothead Harry Forrester barely got a mention.

The Hoops boss leapt to the defence of keeper Craig Gordon in the wake of Wednesday night’s rash high lunge on Alloa striker Greig Spence.

Afterwards Alloa insisted that referee Alan Muir should have flashed a straight red card at Gordon for dangerous play.

That incident came just three days after Inverness boss Richie Foran accused ref Don Robertson of bottling a decision to send Erik Sviatchenko off for a last man foul on Ross Draper.

But what annoyed Rodgers is that these incidents were repeatedly replayed and forensically analysed, while a similar incident at Ibrox on Tuesday night - when Forrester was lucky to dodge a red for a reckless tackle on Queen of the South’s Jordan Marshall - was only replayed twice.

Rodgers said: “What doesn’t help is afterwards when the video footage is shown 14 times. We played at Inverness and Sviatchenko’s tackle was shown 26 times.

“I saw similar games with similar profile over the course of the last week, where a player arguably should have been sent off, and the video was shown twice.

“It would be interesting to hear from BT Sport just to see why there is that difference.

“I know modern day football is about sensationalism and Celtic is a huge club with massive interest in it.

“But Craig’s incident is just a mis-timed tackle. He’s not reckless, he’s over-stretched. The kid takes a bang, goes down, gets up and gets on with the game. I don’t think it was a sending-off.

“I thought the referee in that instance, and in the overall game, was outstanding.

“The ball was played over the top, Kolo (Toure) was in the race with the striker. He’s got a high line.

“Craig has made the decision to come, he is 6ft 4ins with big long legs, he stretches for it and mistimes it.

“There are two players behind the ball - it’s a yellow card. The referee called it absolutely perfect.

“Alan made another brilliant call in the game where the Alloa guy made a foul, he let play go on and then comes back to give the yellow card. That’s brilliant refereeing.

“He also gave a card to Tom Rogic which was spot-on. So I’m not just talking about one incident, I’m talking about the game overall where the ref was spot-on. His decisions were very good and my only complaint on the night was that we didn’t score more than two goals.

“The scrutiny is part of being at a big club and it works the other ways as well. If you score a hat-trick in an Old Firm game the re-runs go on for the next two days. So it’s beneficial for players as well.

“It’s modern day football and news has to be covered but I just think as a whole let’s not complicate it. The referee was very good so let’s give them praise and not highlight something like that.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-questions-bt-sport-8894203

A guess would be because not only was he a goalie out of the box but it looked so bizarre and couldn't be described as a tackle at all. He was airborne and literally flying at the player for crying out loud while Forresters tackle was pretty much typical stuff you will see in any game.

JS100306210.jpg

Edited by JFK-1

As has been said elsewhere today, imagine Warburton had said that? He'd be "cracking under the pressure" and "lashing out at media outlets" etc etc.

Imagine Forrester had made that tackle. The guy on the wrong end of it said himself that if any outfield player had made that tackle he would have walked. For some peculiar reason the ref treated it differently because he was a goalie despite the fact he's now an outfielder when he steps outside that box.

As has been said elsewhere today, imagine Warburton had said that? He'd be "cracking under the pressure" and "lashing out at media outlets" etc etc.

Agree 100%. Rodgers is flavour of the month with the Scottish mhedia. He got a free ride from mostly everyone after the 7-0 drubbing from Barca because "they do that to everyone"... em, no they don't. Even the points dropped at ICT were glossed over because the "performance" was good. I didn't see much mention of Celtic leaky defence having just shipped 7 goals in 5 games. The general consensus was Celtic played well in a game they dominated whereas Rangers on the other hand toiled and dropped vital points in a game they dominated.

Two guys behind the ball? Did he count the goal-posts too? Their defender was at best at his shoulder ... before Gordon stopped him dead:

(NB: Barca, IIRC, lost 2-1 at home against some provincial club the weekend before the Yahoo mauling ... )

Edited by der Berliner