“Hun” and “Jock” not considered offensive by Ofcom

Shall I take offense then? Or my fellow German Bluenoses?

BTW, I never really understood how they came to calling us Huns. The only direct reference I found was that of the Foggy Dew song re "Britannia's Huns"?

IMHO, Scum and animals would do ...

NB: It is utterly bizarre, BTW. This Ofcom thing. First, asking 250 people is hardly representative, and Secodn, you only have to check out the meaning of the word with "people in the know", i.e. Northern Irish folk (and Police) to get an instant reply and idea.

not only that but you also have to know if those in the survey were a proper cross-section of society - clearly with just 250 participants they aren't.

When yahoos refer to us as 'huns' it only shows up their total lack of education. They should look closer to home. Across the Irish Sea to be precise & de Valera's allegiance during WWII

Edited by RANGERRAB

"Paki" is a racial slur directed towards Pakistanis, and others of South Asian origin, including Indians and Bangladeshis. The slur is used chiefly in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paki_(slur)

You know who adds these entries to wiki? Anybody who feels like it and it's whoever puts it there who defines it as they want it to be defined. It could be schoolkids as a project it could be a Pakistani who has issues with the term. If someone else had put the definition there it could say something else more in line with how I defined it. Would their definition be any more or less valid?. Is Scot which is merely an abbreviation of Scotland just as Paki is a shortening of Pakistan a racial slur?

I remember growing up in the 60's when the term likely first began to have common usage and when I heard it I didn't interpret it as any more of a racial slur than I do Scot.

not only that but you also have to know if those in the survey were a proper cross-section of society - clearly with just 250 participants they aren't.

Probably all in England.

You know who adds these entries to wiki? Anybody who feels like it and it's whoever puts it there who defines it as they want it to be defined. It could be schoolkids as a project it could be a Pakistani who has issues with the term. If someone else had put the definition there it could say something else more in line with how I defined it. Would their definition be any more or less valid?. Is Scot which is merely an abbreviation of Scotland just as Paki is a shortening of Pakistan a racial slur?

I remember growing up in the 60's when the term likely first began to have common usage and when I heard it I didn't interpret it as any more of a racial slur than I do Scot.

My guess is the term 'Paki' was used like this - "Ya f@ckin Paki"..."Ya Paki b@stard"...which is very offensive, Charles Green referred to his fellow s**v as "My Paki friend" that was not offensive at all.

If I was in another country and a fellow from there called me "Ya f@uckin Scot" I'd be very shocked, even more so if It was said to me daily by a large number of the local folk.

Edit: Just reading back my post...the term Scot would then become offensive in that country like Paki is in the UK. :lol:

Edited by Bearman

My guess is the term 'Paki' was used like this - "Ya f@ckin Paki"..."Ya Paki b@stard"...which is very offensive, Charles Green referred to his fellow s**v as "My Paki friend" that was not offensive at all.

If I was in another country and a fellow from there called me "Ya f@uckin Scot" I'd be very shocked, even more so if It was said to me daily by a large number of the local folk.

Edit: Just reading back my post...the term Scot would then become offensive in that country like Paki is in the UK. :lol:

All I remember about it from back in the 60's was things like the Paki shop or i'm going to the Pakis to get this or that etc. I don't recall any use of f@ckin' Paki but if anyone wants to add that into anything at all does that make anything at all a racist slur? Ya f@ckin' English b@stard?

So then by the same logic English is a racist slur? The PC culture has gotten out of hand and is used by many in an insidious manner in an attempt to silence legitimate criticism. Taken to it's extreme we may as well close down parliament because almost all they do in there is criticise each others ideology.

Edited by JFK-1

All I remember about it from back in the 60's was things like the Paki shop or i'm going to the Pakis to get this or that etc. I don't recall any use of f@ckin' Paki but if anyone wants to add that into anything at all does that make anything at all a racist slur? Ya f@ckin' English b@stard?

So then by the same logic English is a racist slur? The PC culture has gotten out of hand and is used by many in an insidious manner in an attempt to silence legitimate criticism. Taken to it's extreme we may as well close down parliament because almost all they do in there is criticise each others ideology.

I know exactly what you mean. "Im going to the Pakis" was a common saying, but as you say PC has gotten out of hand...honestly today, if someone said out loud in a busy street the above, it would be met with weird looks, not sure if they'd be arrested though...maybe they would!:shock:

I totally agree with that and i don't understand why we let them turn it round.

Why we let them turn it around? Who is "we"?

How did black people allows themselves to be called niggers or coons? How did Jewish people allows themselves to be called yids or kikes?

What could Protestants do to prevent republican extremists painting KAH (or Kill All Huns) on Belfast walls?

Are you trying to suggest that those who suffer from religious bigotry are the ones to blame?

This thread is very depressing. It seems that many are happy for Anti-protestant religious bigotry to go unchecked.

Those who are affected should be up in arms about it and those who aren't should be giving them every support and not coming up with reasons to allow the bigots to get away with it.