“Hun” and “Jock” not considered offensive by Ofcom

Taken over 248 people. What a joke of a study. Did they actually come out the pub to do it.

If someone wants to call me a Jock or a hun they shouldn't be surprised if they receive a slap for their trouble - no matter what Ofcom say.

Ah but it must be true if Ofcom says so.

Being called a hun is not particularly nice but I'd rather be called that than a sheep sh@gger.

As for Jock, fine by me. Used to be an honourable and affectionate term as were Taff and Paddy.

Jock has always been an affectionate term, maybe a little patronising.

Of course it can't be offensive as it's used in such a jovial manner by these jolly jesters, through bitter filled snarling teeth.

That's how you know it's meant to be offensive: they don't say it with a normal intonation, they always snarl it, like the way a neo-nazi says, "k*ke" or "n*****". It difficult to avoid Godwin's Law when it comes to them, as they really are acting like Nazis these days.

I totally agree with that and i don't understand why we let them turn it round. I think we are just too soft in that respect or maybe fenian was was preferred to hun. Helping the nazi's was far worse than having a Queen that had German ancestry centuries ago.

Shall I take offense then? Or my fellow German Bluenoses?

BTW, I never really understood how they came to calling us Huns. The only direct reference I found was that of the Foggy Dew song re "Britannia's Huns"?

IMHO, Scum and animals would do ...

NB: It is utterly bizarre, BTW. This Ofcom thing. First, asking 250 people is hardly representative, and Secodn, you only have to check out the meaning of the word with "people in the know", i.e. Northern Irish folk (and Police) to get an instant reply and idea.

Edited by der Berliner

Jock has always been an affectionate term, maybe a little patronising.

My Dad was called Jocko when we lived down south in the 70's and early 80's. Never offended him - but then I guess we lived in a different time then when very little offended you.l

Being called a hun is not particularly nice but I'd rather be called that than a sheep sh@gger.

As for Jock, fine by me. Used to be an honourable and affectionate term as were Taff and Paddy.

Does the the truth hurt?:devil::D