[FT] RB Leipzig 4 - 0 Rangers

I am pleased to report that so far I have not seen one police man or woman.

There do not appear to be that many fans staying here but those who are here have had a few beers but have been well enough behaved.

I did see one large group singing there way down a shopping street and expect to see much more tonight and tomorrow.

There were a crowd off us in the Champions Bar boosting the profits of the Marriott Hotel last night. There was a fair bit of singing "unauthorised" songs (as you will appreciate I do not join in!) but there were no issues with the staff or some locals who were in and took it all with good humour. Fortunately they did not understand what was being sung. I left the youngsters too it at midnight.

There was a grill festival in the main square today and again the beer tents got an unexpected boost.

My one real concern is that there are a lot of young lads here who have never been on a European trip before and tend to drink more and quicker than those who are older and perhaps wiser. I hope they will remember that they are ambassadors of and for the Club, Glasgow and Scotland.

This is a very nice city with a lot of Gothic? architecture and modern shops stocking typically high quality German clothes, food and drink. The two main department stores both have cheap wine bars to get you in shopping mode.

I took in the Stasi Museum this morning which was very interesting.

Quite a lot of folk have stopped me in the street with the enquiry "Glasgow?" and several fans of the rival Lokomotiv Leipzig team encouraging us to f*** RB.

Will try to post some pics if I can figure out how to save them to Imgur on my phone.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I need to correct dB on one point.

All football clubs play under the jurisdiction of their national associations who in Europe come under the jurisdiction of UEFA.

In Scotland senior football clubs must apply for authority to play friendlies so that an official referee can be appointed. Otherwise it would be unauthorised football and they would be in severe soapy bubble.

I do not know for certain but I am fairly sure that both clubs involved in this match would require UEFA authority to play the match or at least RBL would need to have authority from the DFB to play the match and to that extent even if it is indirectly it would fall under the ultimate jurisdiction of UEFA.

The point I am making is that just because it is a friendly does not mean that there are no rules of the conduct of spectators any more than there are no Laws of the Game.

I need to correct dB on one point.

All football clubs play under the jurisdiction of their national associations who in Europe come under the jurisdiction of UEFA.

In Scotland senior football clubs must apply for authority to play friendlies so that an official referee can be appointed. Otherwise it would be unauthorised football and they would be in severe soapy bubble.

I do not know for certain but I am fairly sure that both clubs involved in this match would require UEFA authority to play the match or at least RBL would need to have authority from the DFB to play the match and to that extent even if it is indirectly it would fall under the ultimate jurisdiction of UEFA.

The point I am making is that just because it is a friendly does not mean that there are no rules of the conduct of spectators any more than there are no Laws of the Game.

You are correct and I think you will find that UEFA are supplying the refereeing for the game.

Be that as it may, I harbour my doubts that UEFA will have people watching this game for any offensive songs (to whom?) and whether this falls under the Scottish Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill (or whatever it was called). I would also be surprised if German police will go after any chaps singing naughty songs ... or will get motivated to act upon anyone pointing this out.

UEFA may not be watching but they would have to act on any reports received.

The Offensive Behaviour at Football etc Act was drafted specifically to catch any such behaviour by fans travelling or attending football matches abroad.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Be that as it may, I harbour my doubts that UEFA will have people watching this game for any offensive songs (to whom?) and whether this falls under the Scottish Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill (or whatever it was called). I would also be surprised if German police will go after any chaps singing naughty songs ... or will get motivated to act upon anyone pointing this out.

I repeat my last response: if banned songs are sung, recorded on phones and then shared then complaints will inevitably be made regardless of what those at the actual game see, hear, think or care about. It has happened often enough in the past. Plenty of people not at the game are highly "motivated to act" over "naughty songs". They are probably ready and waiting as I type. It isn't complicated - sing banned songs and the club's name will probably get tarnished and the club potentially punished (and any potential future investors discouraged); don't sing them and you avoid these consequences or at least can demand proof from any accusers and they can't have proof if it never happens.

I write this knowing how difficult it is, close to impossible, when on a trip and pished to behave.

Edited by SteveC

Rangers fans should just go out and behave like Rangers fans. Don't let negativity or hatred from others sway your beliefs or normal behaviours. Be everything our club stands for and show the characteristics established by the Gallant pioneers.

If you read this as an excuse to sing bigoted vile then remove yourself you are not one of us. Your hatred should never out shine you character.

I got to the Champions Bar around 11.30pm last night and between then and 1.00am it was absolutely jumping. Guys were literally up on the tables and chairs giving it laldy.

The atmosphere was incredible and the locals appeared quite happy with some managing to watch the Atlanta Falcons in the play offs despite the mayhem around them.

Apparently the staff there have posted some pictures on Facebook and it was also on the local TV.

So far I have not heard any reports of problems apart from the snow.

Edited by BrahimHemdani