Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

Waghorn held his won in the Championship with Leicester, Hull, Millwall and Wigan but the same cannot be said of Kiernan and Tavernier; never mind this season's crop e.g Garner who scored goals in League 1 but struggled in the Championship. Our current team would be lucky to finish mid table in League 1 because Wallace, and Mackay apart, essentially we have a team of League 1 players.

Totally agree we need to adopt a different signing policy.

I disagree with Tav. I think he has defensively improved although it has gone to cost of his attacking game. I think he could easily hold his own in the championship now. I doubt he will ever be a premiership player

Waghorn held his won in the Championship with Leicester, Hull, Millwall and Wigan but the same cannot be said of Kiernan and Tavernier; never mind this season's crop e.g Garner who scored goals in League 1 but struggled in the Championship. Our current team would be lucky to finish mid table in League 1 because Wallace, and Mackay apart, essentially we have a team of League 1 players.

Totally agree we need to adopt a different signing policy.

Waghorn's goal return in England was really poor so I'm not sure that that's true. If he was doing well in the second tier in England he wouldn't have ended up playing in the same tier in Scotland.

DAVE KING has confirmed that Mark Warburton will have funds to spend in January to strengthen his squad.

The Rangers chairman spoke exclusively to RangersTV after this morning’s AGM and admitted he would expect ‘some’ transfer activity in the new year.

When asked if Warburton would have a budget to bolster his playing staff in 2017, he replied: “He does have – the view we have taken with Mark is that he must continue to look at his squad.

“I think he will admit certainly the summer transfer spending wasn’t as successful as it was the previous season.

“I know the standard is higher, but some of the players he has brought in – Joey Barton being a great example, he tied up a lot of wages but he didn’t perform for the manager.

“The manager then has to recycle that, and I think he has to keep looking, see what players are working in his squad, see what ones he may want to move on and which ones he might want to bring in.

“So I would expect some activity in January.”

King believes there was enough investment in the squad in the summer as the club prepared for their first season back in the top flight.

He added: “Oh yes, but if you look at the level of investment we have made on some of the players – Joey Barton who, for different reasons, didn’t make much of a contribution and tied up a big part of our budget, and Niko Kranjcar who is injured.

“So some of our players who Mark has brought in to give that balance of youth and experience haven’t worked out for various reasons.”

On potential January transfer targets the chairman added: “Mark is working on that, and it’s not something he will deal with me directly on.

“He works with the footballing board on that, and certainly some names have come up, but I know that Mark is working on a plan for January and I think there are quite a number of options he is looking at.”

Fabbrini set for Blues axe

Birmingham are ready to cut their losses on Diego Fabbrini just a year after snapping him up. Championship Blues splashed out £1.5million to Watford for attacking midfielder Fabbrini, 26, in January. It was City’s biggest purchase since 2011 after Carson Yeung’s controversial reign ran into cash problems. But Italian Fabbrini has made just eight League starts since and has not played for a month. MirrorSport understands Blues are now ready to listen to bids for the midfielder and have been offering him to clubs including SPL giants Rangers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-liverpool-man-9362515

Looking at his game stats ... what a waste of manpower

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/diego-fabbrini/profil/spieler/56903

Snatched from FF

RANGERS manager Mark Warburton last night revealed he is trying to bring in an "outstanding pedigree" midfielder on loan who he believes will “excite the fans”.

The Englishman, whose team was knocked off second spot in the Ladbrokes Premiership with their 2-0 defeat to Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday night, is missing several players in that area.

Niko Kranjcar, Jordan Rossiter and Josh Windass are all out injured at the moment while Joey Barton left the Ibrox club last month.

Warburton declined to name his target, who currently plays abroad, because he fears alerting rival clubs to his availability.

However, he believes the Rangers supporters will be delighted if the Championship winners can fend off stiff competition for the player's services next month.

“We’re looking at an overseas midfield option for January,” he said. "I hope we can get a dynamic, goalscoring midfielder.

“I can’t tell you who he is, but what I can tell you is there are three or four other clubs in for the same player.

“He has got an outstanding pedigree and we are trying to get hold of him. He is an overseas player, playing at a very high level. We hope we can get him.

“From our point of view, we have tried a few and they have fallen through for various reasons.

“It would be a loan deal. If it comes down to the money, we won’t get this player, so therefore we have got to offer something different.

“I hope it is one who will excite the fans. A few of them won’t have heard of him, but when you look at his pedigree, it will start to excite the fans. We know very much what he can do.”

Warburton added: “There’s no doubt losing Josh, Jordan, Niko – and Joey for different reasons – has hit the midfield pretty hard. So we’ve got to look at that situation and find a solution to it.

“Niko is out for the season, he’d been coming into his prime, was starting to boss the games. We’ve lost a very good player in Niko, someone a bit different and we need to replace that.

“Jordan has been frustrated by injury. Josh slipped on the astroturf at Partick. He has a grade one hamstring and will be seven to ten days.

‘”We’ve been a bit unfortunate in that department, no excuses. But we’ve got to look at it and January will hopefully give us a chance to do that.”

Meanwhile, Andy Halliday has admitted the Rangers players fear getting dropped if they fail to perform to the best of their abilities despite the number of squad members who are currently out injured.

First team regulars Barrie McKay and Martyn Waghorn have both found themselves out of the team recently due to dips in form and Michael O'Halloran and Joe Dodoo have been given a chance to show what they are capable of.

“That’s why we’ve brought in a lot more squad additions this year," he said. "We had a very light squad and unfortunately the case was last year that we were down to the bare bones towards the end of the season. It was pretty much the same 18-man squad that was out every game.

“But now we’ve got a lot of good players competing for places. There’s been a bit of rotation the last few weeks, the likes of Joe Dodoo came off the bench and scored a couple of goals last weekend and then thought he got an equaliser against Hearts. He took the goal that was disallowed really well. So we’ve got good players coming in to take anyone’s jersey."

Also in the Scotsman: (just for reference, it is the same story)

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/rangers-line-up-new-midfielder-1-4306763

I disagree with Tav. I think he has defensively improved although it has gone to cost of his attacking game. I think he could easily hold his own in the championship now. I doubt he will ever be a premiership player

Benefit of hindsight perhaps but are you still saying the same about Tavernier after Wednesday night.

To me he's lost it going forward and hasn't improved defensively. He's cost us 3 goals in the last two games.

Waghorn's goal return in England was really poor so I'm not sure that that's true. If he was doing well in the second tier in England he wouldn't have ended up playing in the same tier in Scotland.

As far as I can trace he scored 33 goals (and 21 assists) in 167 games in the English Championship.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martyn-waghorn/leistungsdaten/spieler/61674/plus/0?saison=ges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Waghorn

Given that a significant number of his appearances were on the RW, I think that qualifies as "holding your own" if not exactly electrifying.