Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

Then mix in the fact they have allegedly expressed an interest in Waghorn in the first place when they apparently already have a perfectly good striker and also it would appear that regardless of the fact they don't want to lose him they're going to. And what's the most appealing next step for Taylor himself?

They haven't: Bristol City want Waghorn. Matty Taylor is a Bristol Rovers player.

As one who never, ever, believes paper speculation on players we are interested in, I make my next observation with a huge amount of salt.

Have we learned nothing from last summer when we are only looking at lower league English players who are over-rated and over-priced?

There is NO value to be had in the lower English leagues for a club with our needs.

Not one of our acquired players from England is going to be worth anything substantial, with many of them not even worth a place on our bench never mind a multi-million pound sell-on value, which is required to make up the shortfall in our income. We need to be buying players from abroad who are young but keen to move to England. Dare I say it the celtic model, just done a bit better.

Windass looks more than capable of being a very good player worth a fair bit of cash if he can stay fit going forward. Hopefully Crooks will do the same once he features more.

A wide-ranging scouting system requires money (and luck) - something we've not been strong on in recent times.

Every signing carries risk and it's fair to say this year's signings haven't be a great success for one reason or another. We need to improve that ratio and a better scouting system will help. However I'm unconvinced it matters much what country you do your shopping in.

For every Numan and Gio, you get a Konterman. For every Broadfoot and Bollan, you get a Cooper. For every Hateley and Gascoigne you get a Barton. And on and on....

Some info from jellybeans over on FF

Warbs not looking to bring in striker

As title info I heard was we will not be looking to bring in a striker so id rule out the Matt Taylor link. Unless Waggy leaves could change it. Replacement for Niko likely.

I haven't seen any pressers just got a mail from a good source so wasn't sure if it was in public.​

(DB -> Re Waghorn and whether he is staying: )

If he keeps out of trouble...another incident in bar 29 on Saturday.​​

Don't think he is dealing with the goldfish bowl that is Glasgow. First time in he career he will be noticed anywhere he goes. All the players were out after charity do. I wont say anymore.​

Edited by der Berliner

It's been mentioned thousands of times but why does the club not use ex players for recommendations of players?,we have ex players covering a lot of Europe/world wide who you would think would be more than happy to recommend players!

I'd say our best signings have come from the lower English leagues.

We shouldn't rule anything out.

I'd rather we looked in the English leagues than waste transfer money & wages on over-priced SPL dross like we've done too often in the past.

That said we should be looking elsewhere too like Scandanavia for example

As one who never, ever, believes paper speculation on players we are interested in, I make my next observation with a huge amount of salt.

Have we learned nothing from last summer when we are only looking at lower league English players who are over-rated and over-priced?

There is NO value to be had in the lower English leagues for a club with our needs.

Not one of our acquired players from England is going to be worth anything substantial, with many of them not even worth a place on our bench never mind a multi-million pound sell-on value, which is required to make up the shortfall in our income. We need to be buying players from abroad who are young but keen to move to England. Dare I say it the celtic model, just done a bit better.

If we use the Cetlic model then we have no chance of catching them. They can spend more money than us so are likely to acquire a higher standard of player. We need a different approach to them.