Club 1872 Hogmanay Fixture Statement

The cold hard facts of this is that it is all about the money. We are charging 7500 at £50 a pop. We charge much higher prices for hospitality packages for this game as well. Our whole tv deal, poor as it is, hinges on the fact that it is one of the worlds most hostile, noisiest atmospheres.

If we take this away by having reciprocal bans or greatly reduced numbers at OF games going forward, it becomes just another league derby match between two very poor sides that the world will stop watching. They watch for the atmosphere, not the quality of football on show. The atmosphere is generated by the 80/20 split of fans. It is not going to change any time soon.

The cares and interests of Rangers supporters in not wanting to give as many tickets to our enemy are of little significance to the money men at both clubs, and the league in general that is trying to sell this game around the world.

The cold hard facts of this is that it is all about the money. We are charging 7500 at £50 a pop. We charge much higher prices for hospitality packages for this game as well. Our whole tv deal, poor as it is, hinges on the fact that it is one of the worlds most hostile, noisiest atmospheres.

If we take this away by having reciprocal bans or greatly reduced numbers at OF games going forward, it becomes just another league derby match between two very poor sides that the world will stop watching. They watch for the atmosphere, not the quality of football on show. The atmosphere is generated by the 80/20 split of fans. It is not going to change any time soon.

The cares and interests of Rangers supporters in not wanting to give as many tickets to our enemy are of little significance to the money men at both clubs, and the league in general that is trying to sell this game around the world.

TB you say it yourself there in the highlighted part, so if it's a poor deal why do we even bother what the TV or money men think or say? Football is a supporters driven sport and at the very least, the atmosphere at Ibrox should what's best for the Rangers support not TV, Police or the Vermin. 48k Rangers supporters and 2k tims should generate a good and more positive atmosphere imo.

TB you say it yourself there in the highlighted part, so if it's a poor deal why do we even bother what the TV or money men think or say? Football is a supporters driven sport and at the very least, the atmosphere at Ibrox should what's best for the Rangers support not TV, Police or the Vermin. 48k Rangers supporters and 2k tims should generate a good and more positive atmosphere imo.

Wont argue with that mate. I dont agree with our club's stance on this, thats just the way I see it that the money is more important to them, as it is to our rivals as well. Best not forgetting how the tag "Old Firm" came about about a century ago, nothing has changed in that regard.

Wont argue with that mate. I dont agree with our club's stance on this, thats just the way I see it that the money is more important to them, as it is to our rivals as well. Best not forgetting how the tag "Old Firm" came about about a century ago, nothing has changed in that regard.

It's a crazy situation, My wife and son are season ticket holders at Old Traford, they hold 76k fans . Three thousand of what are for visiting fans, i was telling her we move our season ticket holders in a full stand to accommodate our biggest rivals. She asked , can't you fill your ground against them and is your board mental?

Yes and no, we can fill our ground against them and no the board aren't mental, it's part of an antiquated agreement that should no longer apply.

BH/Steve

Dont mean to put a spanner in the works to this delightful linguistic discussion - but its actually a comma after "thereto" not a full stop. :touche:

My apologies, new specs are on order.

However, it's still a monster sentence that would have conveyed the point more forcefully if divided in two and "about which Police Scotland had failed to take any action" would be much better English, comma or full stop notwithstanding.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

The board are so out of touch with the fans on issues like this it is scary, I had hoped Club1872 would have bridged that gap!, however I am still hopeful of that happening, the sooner the better.

Our club and our fans have been kicked senseless by Scottish football, and will continue until the board stands up to the playground bully.

This is REALLY surprising given the presence of John Gilligan in particular but perhaps they take the view that stirring things up isn't the best way forward.

This is the SPFL Rule

Admission Prices, Admission to Grounds and Ticket Distribution

I26 The Home Club, in its absolute discretion, shall determine admission charges for League Matches and Play-Off Matches.

I27 The Home club must make provision for the admission of such reasonable number of visiting supporters at every home League Match and Play-Off Match as may be agreed in advance with the Visiting Club and, in the event of their being unable to agree such number not later than 14 days prior to the date of the League Match or Play-Off Match in question, the number of visiting supporters allowed shall be determined by the Board whose decision shall be final and binding.

This is the SPFL Rule

Admission Prices, Admission to Grounds and Ticket Distribution

I26 The Home Club, in its absolute discretion, shall determine admission charges for League Matches and Play-Off Matches.

I27 The Home club must make provision for the admission of such reasonable number of visiting supporters at every home League Match and Play-Off Match as may be agreed in advance with the Visiting Club and, in the event of their being unable to agree such number not later than 14 days prior to the date of the League Match or Play-Off Match in question, the number of visiting supporters allowed shall be determined by the Board whose decision shall be final and binding.

"reasonable number" they are expert in keeping things vague, these people

"reasonable number" they are expert in keeping things vague, these people

Clearly this is deliberate, if for no other reason than setting a percentage will have a wide differential in terms of actual numbers of tickets depending on ground capacity. Rangers and Celtic would want both a high percentage AND a high absolute number, lower Clubs might be happy with a high percentage but not be able to give a high absolute number of tickets and the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen might want both the percentage and absolute number to be low.

If it comes to a question of what constitutes a "reasonable number", I think it is reasonable to assume that the SFA Cup Rule might be a guideline:

41. Tickets for Sale For any match to which admission is wholly or partly by ticket or by cash admission at the turnstiles, the visiting club shall have the right to claim admissions up to 20% of the spectator capacity of the ground, in which case the supporters of the visiting club shall be accommodated in an area of the ground which is agreed by both clubs and the Police authorities after having taken cognisance of the Safety at Sports Ground Act, 1975, where appropriate.

If that or somewhere near that were to be claimed by Celtic at Ibrox then the only way they can be accommodated is in the Broomloan (8,012 i.e. approx. 16%), which the Police would then say is the maximum in terms of H&S.

(Note that this Rule also effectively prevents us selling out the ground to ST holders, each of whom would demand the right to a ticket for a home cup tie vs Celtic.)

Again quoting https://rangers.co.uk/wp/wp-content/cache/wp-rocket/rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/dave-king-response-12/index.html_gzip

The number of season tickets we can sell is restricted by the fact that we give Celtic the entire Broomloan Stand for Old Firm games, even though some season-ticket holders have seats in that area. We sell season tickets for the Broomloan Stand with the guarantee of a ticket for the Celtic game. Therefore, we need to ensure that we keep enough seats available to re-seat those fans for Old Firm games (mainly in the corner between the Sandy Jardine and Broomloan stands and in the Club Deck.)

This means we have to hold back on selling season tickets in the areas we need to keep available for this re-seating exercise. Consequently seats are available for match-day tickets for non-Old Firm games for fans who don’t have season tickets.

We are presently doing the final calculations based on our overall seating configuration (including revised hospitality offerings.) Very broadly, we believe the maximum number of season tickets that could be sold is circa 43500 and, based on current sales, there is a reasonable likelihood that we will reach this total – which will be a Club record by a small margin. That will mean there will be no tickets available whatsoever on match day for the Celtic games with availability of up to a few thousand for other games, depending on the level of away-team support. These tickets will be dealt with on a “first come-first served” basis in the week leading up to the game once we know the ticket requirements of the away club.

In addition note that:

Away fans are normally accommodated in the corner of the ground between the Broomloan and Govan Stands.[44] For bigger games, such as the Old Firm derbies, the whole of the Broomloan Stand can be used by the away support.[44] Ibrox is seen as being an intimidating ground for visiting supporters.[44] Rangers banned Celtic fans in 1994 from attending games at Ibrox, citing the damage caused to the Broomloan Stand by the visitors in previous derbies.[45][46][47] The ban was lifted after one game, as the Scottish Football League passed a resolution preventing clubs from taking that action.[46] Before the corners were filled in, away fans were accommodated in the lower tier of the Broomloan Stand.[48] Rangers had to take action in 1996 to prevent their fans in the upper deck from throwing items at visitors.[48]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_Stadium

If that still stands (excuse the pun) then taken with the "reasonable number" provision, I can't see how Rangers can impose a limit of say 2,000 unless Celtic are agreeable.

Edited by BrahimHemdani