Keith Jackson - King promised to be accountable but he's ended up invisible

My original point is that others aren't criticised for not saying anything at all. Is King required to be firing out quotes left, right and centre just for the sake of it?

He should meeting his promises. It's subjective as to whether he is doing that but I don't believe he is....and that's got nothing to do with firing off quotes as he didn't commit to doing that.

And if people in other high profile clubs made a similar commitment and haven't met it than I'd expect them to be criticised as well.

I remember Pat Nevin Chairing that three person committee that awarded Koki Mizuno the work permit. He stepped out in front of both print and broadcast media to declare, "he is the best I've ever seen at his age". A season later, Pat announced he and his family were season ticket holders at Easter Road. Seems Pat had a visitation from Jiminey Cricket?

Perhaps it was Mr Anthony Higgins, who sat on the panel with Nevin, and AN Other.

As for Nevin, some time ago, he recalled, on Radio 5, an anecdote from his time at Tranmere Rovers. Apparently, his services were coveted by Bolton Wanderers, but he and his wife were settled on Merseyside, and did not fancy such a move. Consequently, when the Manager informed him of an enquiry from another Club, he assumed that it was the Trotters, and said that he was not interested. He was, he said, very upset when he found out that the inquiry was from the very team he had supported since boyhood, sellikfootballclub, to whom he would have moved with alacrity. By the time he chaired the panel on Mizuno, he was of course, a Hibbie, through and through, and completely disinterested in rahoops' affairs.

My original point is that others aren't criticised for not saying anything at all. Is King required to be firing out quotes left, right and centre just for the sake of it?

If King was to do that, folk would complain that he's being too "mouthy", and what's the point in all these statements telling us nothing.

The comparisons with Ceptic (& other Chairmen) is very valid. The Chairman is not responsible for the day-to-day running of the club - that's what the CEO is there for. How many other clubs have running commentaries from their Chairmen???

Perhaps it was Mr Anthony Higgins, who sat on the panel with Nevin, and AN Other.

As for Nevin, some time ago, he recalled, on Radio 5, an anecdote from his time at Tranmere Rovers. Apparently, his services were coveted by Bolton Wanderers, but he and his wife were settled on Merseyside, and did not fancy such a move. Consequently, when the Manager informed him of an enquiry from another Club, he assumed that it was the Trotters, and said that he was not interested. He was, he said, very upset when he found out that the inquiry was from the very team he had supported since boyhood, sellikfootballclub, to whom he would have moved with alacrity. By the time he chaired the panel on Mizuno, he was of course, a Hibbie, through and through, and completely disinterested in rahoops' affairs.

To be fair to Nevin he has publicly spoken about not wanting his children to support Celtic because of the sectarianism he could hear around him in the stands. Not many people are brave enough to say that or apparently have good enough hearing in the first place.

But on your bigger point the panel that sits on these things is a farce. How can anyone can claim a 19 year old from Ghana without an international cap should get a work permit? I'd say that if we'd signed him.

I'm not looking for a running commentary but am looking for a better idea of what the next few years holds for the club and what the plans are in a number of areas. It's the sort of thing we would expect from a Chairman.

It seems that because it's a journalist that Is pointing out that King isn't fully meeting the commitment to the fans that he made himself then it doesn't matter.

He should meeting his promises. It's subjective as to whether he is doing that but I don't believe he is....and that's got nothing to do with firing off quotes as he didn't commit to doing that.

And if people in other high profile clubs made a similar commitment and haven't met it than I'd expect them to be criticised as well.

Post #20 sums up exactly my response to this.

Post #20 sums up exactly my response to this.

Which totally ignores the fact that it's King isn't doing what he said he would.

He's an experienced business man and should know what can and can't be said. He didn't need to say it. If he now feels it was (yet another) thing that he shouldn't have said then fine, but if that's the case it doesn't fill me with confidence. Can we therefore rely on anything he's saying?

We've been shafted 3 or 4 times over the past few years and therefore we as fans should be demanding more transparency than we would at any other club, or what shareholders would get at any other company.

The "strategic information being splashed out into the open just because the journos need to fill the pages" argument would be something that was used by Whyte and look where that got us.

Which totally ignores the fact that it's King isn't doing what he said he would.

He's an experienced business man and should know what can and can't be said. He didn't need to say it. If he now feels it was (yet another) thing that he shouldn't have said then fine, but if that's the case it doesn't fill me with confidence. Can we therefore rely on anything he's saying?

We've been shafted 3 or 4 times over the past few years and therefore we as fans should be demanding more transparency than we would at any other club, or what shareholders would get at any other company.

The "strategic information being splashed out into the open just because the journos need to fill the pages" argument would be something that was used by Whyte and look where that got us.

If we are being objective and try not to be as defensive in debating as we are, it's hard not to say there is merit in Bluedell's argument.

it is difficult to focus on the content when the writing is so hackneyed that a cliche fed automaton could have regurgitated the same tired, to the point of exhaustion, phrases:

cloaked in mystery and secrecy

flurry of activity

gushing terms

hauling his luggage off that carousel

ducked out of answering

head-scratching contradiction

pump millions of pounds into

losing any sleep

eating into the gap........

I gave up at that point, as it was too much to contemplate reading on to highlight any further examples. It is hardly writing at all, rather it is prose-by-rote.

Edited by SteveC