My take on the Rangers sectarian issue

Guest burnbankblue

I think i agree with most of what Calscot has written here. I do see where Ian is coming from though, we do have to make sure we take a stand on certain issues, but the current problems with the moronic chanting as displayed on Youtube is completely indefensible!

I think i agree with most of what Calscot has written here. I do see where Ian is coming from though, we do have to make sure we take a stand on certain issues, but the current problems with the moronic chanting as displayed on Youtube is completely indefensible!

I also agree with Calscot, the point i'm making is it seems like we're sitting ducks waiting to be shot at, once any rule is passed then of course we have to adhere to it, but i don't see the club, unlike the RST, coming out and trying to defend the fans on anything that is being thrown at us by the media, the yobs that continue to chant songs when they have been told not to have to be stopped, but all the other shit that is coming at us is wrong and the club should be fighting our corner, my point on flags,UF IN PARTICULAR, are being said from some quarters that they shouldn't be flown, so if we can't fly the UF as it is seen as offensive to others then i'm sorry but that problem is not ours and i would like to think the UF will be defended by the club

Craig, i understand what he's saying mate, what i'm saying is we surely don't accept evry decision without putting up a valid argument, or is this the current times where whatever we're told we just do :sigh:

The time to not accept it though Ian is BEFORE the rule becomes legislation - that is the time to fight it.

However, once a rule is set and is legislation you have no option but to abide by it. You can still fight it but you don't fight it by simply ignoring the directive.

A non-sporting example might be something like the poll-tax - people fought that tooth and nail but once it became legislation they had no real option but to pay it.

You can, even then, try to have it abolished but not paying poll-tax wouldn't necessarily accomplish that.

To put it in terms of our songs, once UEFA deemed them sectarian we have to abide by that decision and the way to fight that decision is NOT by continuing with the songs - lobbying UEFA would be one way, another very effective way is education - much like what the RST's summer conference is trying to do.

Anyway you can challenge a rule without disobeying it.

Without all my mumbo-jumbo this is EXACTLY the way to attempt to have rules changed and is what both calscot and I were getting at.

I also agree with Calscot, the point i'm making is it seems like we're sitting ducks waiting to be shot at, once any rule is passed then of course we have to adhere to it, but i don't see the club, unlike the RST, coming out and trying to defend the fans on anything that is being thrown at us by the media, the yobs that continue to chant songs when they have been told not to have to be stopped, but all the other shit that is coming at us is wrong and the club should be fighting our corner, my point on flags,UF IN PARTICULAR, are being said from some quarters that they shouldn't be flown, so if we can't fly the UF as it is seen as offensive to others then i'm sorry but that problem is not ours and i would like to think the UF will be defended by the club

There is, in my opinion, absolutely NO WAY that the UF will be banned from being flown at Ibrox.

No matter your political or national persuasion we are still a BRITISH (and Scottish) club.

To ban the UF at Ibrox will open a HUGE can of worms because in essence Scotland (as one would assume it would be the Scottish legislators that would ban it) would be making more of a nationalistic & political statement than a sporting one.

Even Joke McConnell would be a political sitting duck trying to have that happen.

Actually, I would LIKE to see them try to ban the UF from Ibrox because it would prove beyond doubt to everyone that there is a Scottish anti-Rangers agenda (example, how could you possibly be in a country that is part of the Union and have a flag banned that incorporates your home country as well as that of the Union and just 3 miles east you have a flag being flown that is foreign and anti-British generally) ?

Even though i've made my views clear on my preference for the saltire, i have also said that i defend anyone's right to fly a UF, and like Craig said above, i'd like them to try and ban it, as it would show the true agenda .... where Rangers fans couldn't fly the flag of the country on their passport, but where Celtic fans could fly a foreign flag, along with all other sorts of foreign terrorist muck flags!! (anything with a rebel cause, it would seem, if you see them at any old firm game!)

Can i just say i agree with everyone. You all,are right.

One thing i don't get is: UEFA found Rangers not guilty the first time but seemingly UEFA can appeal against UEFA decisions:confused: Rangers have no chance to appeal against the appeal decision which is totally unfare.

Does that make sense?

The time to not accept it though Ian is BEFORE the rule becomes legislation - that is the time to fight it.

However, once a rule is set and is legislation you have no option but to abide by it. You can still fight it but you don't fight it by simply ignoring the directive.

A non-sporting example might be something like the poll-tax - people fought that tooth and nail but once it became legislation they had no real option but to pay it.

You can, even then, try to have it abolished but not paying poll-tax wouldn't necessarily accomplish that.

To put it in terms of our songs, once UEFA deemed them sectarian we have to abide by that decision and the way to fight that decision is NOT by continuing with the songs - lobbying UEFA would be one way, another very effective way is education - much like what the RST's summer conference is trying to do.

Craig, i must apologise as i'm not making myself clear, i want the club to fight before any rule is passed, not after it's passed, but you can obey rules and still fight them IMO