Well who's next

I think we need a bit of context with Caixinha: saying he's managed X, Y and Z doesn't really help much if we don't know the team and how they usually perform. To date he has managed Uniao Leiria, Nacional, Santos Laguna and Al-Gharafa.

Uniao Leiria had finished 9th the previous season -- their first back in the top flight -- and Caixinha finished 10th. Since leaving they have been relegated twice -- latterly through financial problems. It's nothing special but he seems to have stabalised the club mid-table; for a newly promoted side that's not bad.

Nacional are a bigger side in Portugal, so this seems to be a step up. They finished 6th the year before and Caihinha had them finishing 7th -- also getting them to the Semi-Final of the Cup. After he left, they have generally finished lower; with an 11th place finish their lowest, 5th being their highest. Again, he has done nothing speical; he just seems to have stabalised them at their level.

Santos Laguna finished 9th before he arrived and then he seems to have steadily improved them, getting to several Semi-Finals then becoming Champions. Santos Laguna are a big Mexican club who expect to be close to titles. Caixinha seems to have taken them at a low ebb and got them to the title. This has been his most successful spell.

I have no data for his Saudi Arabian adventure.

He seems to be a solid coach. He's taken sides and stabalised them at their level. He may not be winning titles regularly, but that can't be expected with mid-table sides.

Apparently we were after him 2 years ago too as a No. 2 to Pereira, before we appointed MW. He's had quite a decent run as a No.2 at some big-ish clubs, relatively speaking (Rapid Bucharest, Sporting Lisbon, Panathanaikos etc.). And for the oldies: he prefers a 4-4-2! (Although I suspect a more modern 4-4-2).

Edited by Rousseau

I think you've got the DoF role slightly wrong. The DoF should have no say whatsoever in tactics and team selection.

I disagree (no surprise...;) )

The DoF is expected to oversea the entire footballing structure of the club. Should he not be the one that sets the style that the various ages/teams play??? In order to achieve that, he must be in very close contact with the various coaches. He needs to ensure that the style etc is being applied correctly.

At the same time, the coaches must feel comfortable enough to approach him to say, "this ain't working, that ain't working" and there fore tweaking methods and training structures in order to maintain the preferred style/philosophy.

I don't believe that there is the clear cut difference between the 2 roles that many folk are implying - there is a lot of overlap...if you want the structure to work properly IMHO.

Part of the DoF job is to ensure that the coaches are doing their job, and therefore should have some say in the squads that are being picked. Picking the squad is primarily the head coaches responsibility, but I believe that the DoF should have some input into it.

I disagree (no surprise...;) )

The DoF is expected to oversea the entire footballing structure of the club. Should he not be the one that sets the style that the various ages/teams play??? In order to achieve that, he must be in very close contact with the various coaches. He needs to ensure that the style etc is being applied correctly.

At the same time, the coaches must feel comfortable enough to approach him to say, "this ain't working, that ain't working" and there fore tweaking methods and training structures in order to maintain the preferred style/philosophy.

I don't believe that there is the clear cut difference between the 2 roles that many folk are implying - there is a lot of overlap...if you want the structure to work properly IMHO.

Part of the DoF job is to ensure that the coaches are doing their job, and therefore should have some say in the squads that are being picked. Picking the squad is primarily the head coaches responsibility, but I believe that the DoF should have some input into it.

There will be overlaps, but the only "input" the DoF should have on tactics and team selection is picking the Head Coach to fit the playing style in the first place.

Edited by Rousseau

Perhaps if Wilson has him as preferred choice, Southampton were taking an interest in him.

It's a big 'If' if Caixinha is Ross Wilson's preferred choice -- in the sense that he will be appointed our DoF -- but I suspect Southampton do have a few on their list to slot into their structure like Pochetino, Koeman and Puel. It'd be a big plus in Caixinha's box, but Southampton do have that structure in place; we need to develop it.

There will be overlaps, but the only "input" the DoF should have on tactics and team selection is picking the Head Coach to fit the playing style in the first place.

so the DoF brings in a coach, that suits his playing style, then that's it...leaves him to get on with it. Couple of months down the line, team not performing, so the DoF blames the coach & gets someone else.

I see it as a very fluid relationship - While the DoF is the "higher ranked", they should effectively work as a pair......a team, in order to get the best results on the pitch.

The DoF should be able to give an unbiased view on player performances, unlike the coach who is working with the day-to-day. This was shown recently when Murty commented that Rob Kiernan "trained like a beast" and strolled back into the starting 11, then had his usual very sketchy game. The DoF should be able to step in and ask "Why??".

I know there are a number on here who favour the DoF role and are exited by it. I'm definitely not one of them. It seems to me we are just limping along and will do so until we get substantial investment.

It dosnt fill me with exitment and hope. Quite the opposite. We are a withering sight to be frank.

Edited by cooponthewing

so the DoF brings in a coach, that suits his playing style, then that's it...leaves him to get on with it. Couple of months down the line, team not performing, so the DoF blames the coach & gets someone else.

I see it as a very fluid relationship - While the DoF is the "higher ranked", they should effectively work as a pair......a team, in order to get the best results on the pitch.

The DoF should be able to give an unbiased view on player performances, unlike the coach who is working with the day-to-day. This was shown recently when Murty commented that Rob Kiernan "trained like a beast" and strolled back into the starting 11, then had his usual very sketchy game. The DoF should be able to step in and ask "Why??".

It's not up to the DoF to interfere with the team. If a player is playing poorly then that is the Head Coach's responsibility. The only thing the DoF can influence is the 'type' of player we bring in; he must suit the preferred style -- with the Head Coach ultimately having the final choice. The DoF is responsible for the infrastructure, the framework within which the football department is run. The Coach should be slotting into this framework.

I think you are conflating DoF with the old Manager position; a DoF is much higher than that. The Head Coach and DoF are distinct roles -- of course with some overlaps but they shouldn't be interfering with each other. There will be regular meetings, sure, but each should have distinct roles.

Edited by Rousseau

I know there are a number on here who favour the DoF role and are exited by it. I'm definitely not one of them. It seems to me we are just limping along and will do so until we get substantial investment.

It dosnt fill me with exitment and hope. Quite the opposite. We are a withering sight to be frank.

It's not a panacea, but there are advantages that will benefit us in the long-run. Investment will always be needed but spending it all on a new team and Manager just to do so again in 3 years is unsustainable. A DoF will allow us a certain level of sustainability; an infrastructure that will pay dividends in the long-run. I'm excited because it's progress, not because it's a cure-all.

It seems that the Board wish to go down a particular route, that of DoF/Head Coach. If that is the case, then it will happen, I imagine.

I find it refreshing, esp when I consider the lists of the usual suspects trundled out by, well, the usual suspects.