Rangers v St Johnstone - match preview

Female Prime Minister of a rampant Conservative government, with a Labour party in disarray.

Growing suspicion over Russian activity in the east.

Scottish rugby team mixing it with and beating the big boys.

And a Rangers team not worthy of the name.

That's right, it's the early-mid Eighties all over again.

Apologies in advance for the negativity, but sometimes a spade is, in actual fact, a spade. This is not an easy preview to write, I can't remember ever having such little enthusiasm over the team, which let's face it has problems all over the park. Defenders who can't defend. A midfield with the heart of a peanut. And strikers who won't shoot.

I've been a little alarmed at some post-defeat comments on here about us being 'unlucky', just 'needing a break', etc. The truth is, we are in abject freefall, as clueless as we are directionless.

Trying to predict the outcome of Rangers games these days is something of a pointless exercise. Losing home games did for Advocaat and McLeish, the difference now being we don't even have a manager to sack. If we lose this one though, I see no way of Murty ever gracing the dugout again. But with Parkhead looming, the board have a dilemma. Stick with Murty and risk a record defeat, or hand the new manager an Old Firm debut where he risks a doing in his very first game?

St Johnstone will fancy turning us over at Ibrox on Wednesday. I think every team fancies turning us over at the moment. Rangers aren't even a scalp anymore. Whoever our new manager is, a base requirement is that opposing teams coming to Ibrox get nothing for free. What we really need, and fast, is a steadying of the ship along the lines of Walter during the second half of the 06/07 season.

I remain far from convinced about the Cathro 'revolution' at Tynecastle and they continue to drop points themselves, so, against the grain of this season, I'm pretty confident of 3rd place and European football next season. But something has to change at Ibrox, and before the summer.

Wow, that is very negative even by your standards Norris.

I agree that teams will fancy their chances against us. The team is so low on morale and it's been showing on the pitch for a few months. When morale is low like that it's difficult to snap out of it. This means that the defence is even more nervous than usual, and the strikers don't take shots when they should. In that regard we do need a break to turn the tide for us and I make no apologies for repeating that despite it alarming you.

As a smart person once said ... you can't always change the direction of the wind but you can adjust the sails. I just don't think we've done that yet and I'd like to see Murty try something new. He needs to shake up the personnel (especially up front) and he needs to play or best players in their best positions. If he does that we will win. If he does that I'm also sure we will give "them" a game too.

I'm really looking forward to the game, and I expect we will be a little happier when we get the result. The team can then start to rebuild its confidence in the tactics and the individuals. We need the confidence to return before the results can start to flow. Tomorrow is the start of that process. You'll see.

Female Prime Minister of a rampant Conservative government, with a Labour party in disarray.

Growing suspicion over Russian activity in the east.

Scottish rugby team mixing it with and beating the big boys.

And a Rangers team not worthy of the name.

That's right, it's the early-mid Eighties all over again.

Apologies in advance for the negativity, but sometimes a spade is, in actual fact, a spade. This is not an easy preview to write, I can't remember ever having such little enthusiasm over the team, which let's face it has problems all over the park. Defenders who can't defend. A midfield with the heart of a peanut. And strikers who won't shoot.

I've been a little alarmed at some post-defeat comments on here about us being 'unlucky', just 'needing a break', etc. The truth is, we are in abject freefall, as clueless as we are directionless.

Trying to predict the outcome of Rangers games these days is something of a pointless exercise. Losing home games did for Advocaat and McLeish, the difference now being we don't even have a manager to sack. If we lose this one though, I see no way of Murty ever gracing the dugout again. But with Parkhead looming, the board have a dilemma. Stick with Murty and risk a record defeat, or hand the new manager an Old Firm debut where he risks a doing in his very first game?

St Johnstone will fancy turning us over at Ibrox on Wednesday. I think every team fancies turning us over at the moment. Rangers aren't even a scalp anymore. Whoever our new manager is, a base requirement is that opposing teams coming to Ibrox get nothing for free. What we really need, and fast, is a steadying of the ship along the lines of Walter during the second half of the 06/07 season.

I remain far from convinced about the Cathro 'revolution' at Tynecastle and they continue to drop points themselves, so, against the grain of this season, I'm pretty confident of 3rd place and European football next season. But something has to change at Ibrox, and before the summer.

Jesus H Christ! Your glass is half empty, and the bar is shut.

Your analysis is, of course, correct.

Take the last train to Dudsville,

And I'll meet you at the station,

Can you be there by 4.30

For you'll need une grande libation?........................

Edited by Uilleam
made a full of meself

I'm still a glass half full person but the bubbles are starting to fade,nevertheless will still be there on Wednesday for what I think will be a turning point.

team needs a re-jig Hodson to right back,Hill back in defense with Kiernan,Tavernier to mid-field with Holt and Hyndman,Miller up front with Garner and McKay.

I agree with the match preview, there is not a lot to write about regarding any positives, however if our squad can get their act together and start winning then our season can be rescued!, however they don't give us much hope for any change in results.

Who knows they may shock us and start winning and tomorrow night is a good place to start, I will be there but it feels more of a chore these days than anything!.

At the end of the day, we "simply" need too convert our chances. Our inability there and the at times freakish luck the opposition gets is utterly upsetting.

Anyway, I'll go by the same thing I said last weekend: bin 4-3-3 and go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 at times, as we need two front men who preferably stay near the box and don't run about as if they get paid for it.

Foderingham*

Hodson - Hill - Wilson - Wallace

McKay - Toral - Hyndman - Dodoo

Waghorn - Garner

* Only because Alnwick played last night.

Miller, O'Halloran, Forrester and/or perhaps Tavernier for later. Once we have the ball we can switch to 3 at the back, with Wallace going forward a little. Hodson needs to stay there, as he at least has the pace to counter any balls over the top. Toral played DM for quite a spell against ICT, while Halliday was wandering about. Him and Hyndman should be okay there. McKay should be utilized on his natural right, Dodoo on his natural left side. Once Wallace goes forward, Dodoo might even step inside and create a 3-man attack.

So much theory. We will defo see Miller, Tav and Halliday in our starting XI though, and it will be 4-3-3 ...

Edited by der Berliner