This managerial appointment is embarrassing

There are a no of posters on here who will be heartened that they stand arm in arm, shoulder to shoulder, with experts of the Scottish fitba' press.

Men like Michael Grant, a smug, small minded, generally snide observer of the scene, with no love for Rangers whatsoever, who opines in today's football supplement of the Times of London as follows:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/why-have-rangers-given-caixinha-the-job-jbbq70c2f (Paywall).

Why have Rangers given Portuguese the job?

Monday briefing

Michael Grant, Scottish Football Correspondent

March 13 2017, 12:01am,

The Times

Pedro Caixinha will be impressive today. They always are on day one. When he’s presented to the media at Ibrox everyone will start to flesh out the bare bones of what they’ve read about him so far or watched on YouTube. Doubtless he will come across very well, with some charm and an interesting line or two. New managers are always on the top of their game at these introductory sessions. They are selling themselves.

Caixinha sat in the main stand at Celtic Park yesterday for 90 minutes of people shooting glances and trying to read his face about a game which was nothing to do with him. The result and the nature of Rangers’ performance and recovery altered the mood around the club for now but had no effect on the general bafflement that the board gave the job to the 46-year-old Portuguese barely anyone had heard of a fortnight ago.

However long Caixinha talks at his media unveiling the real meat will come from whoever is there to represent the board — Dave King will be nowhere to be seen, so doubtless it will be the managing director Stewart Robertson again — and shed some light on exactly what it was that appealed about Caixinha.

He spent 14 months in charge of his first club, little Uniao Leiria in Portugal (average crowds that season: 2,300), and they finished tenth in the league. They had finished ninth the season before. Then he spent 12 months at Nacional (average crowds 1,900), and finished seventh in his only full season. They came sixth the season before.

Rangers can only have been really impressed by the bit of success he had in Mexico, where he spent 33 months at a much bigger club, Santos Laguna (attendances around 21,000). They have two championships in a season there, with the top eight playing off for the title, and under him they finished 6th, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 8th (going through the play-offs to win the title). Before he arrived they had finished 9th, 7th, 4th, 1st (also winning the title) and 9th. Since he left in 2015 they have been 7th and 16th and are currently 6th. In other words a broadly consistent pattern before, during and after his spell in charge. He won one Copa MX cup tournament as well (the third “major” trophy he is credited with, the Campeon de Campeones, is a Community Shield-style play-off between the league and cup winners; it wasn’t even held in Mexico, it was played in Texas). At Al-Gharafa in Qatar — another brief stint, just 15 months, average crowds under 2,000 — he finished 9th in his only full season. They were seventh the season before.

Robertson said they had been “forensic” in their search, remember. However well they all talk at Ibrox today there is one unalterable fact: given that track record he has done incredibly well to land a club as big as Rangers.

Well, what do we make of such a rubbishing? (Apart from the fact that Mick can Google with the best of us.) I should observe....

No, Mick, Pedro Caixinho has already "sold" himself to the people who matter, those who appoint the staff at Ibrox and Murray Park. He has no need to 'sell' himself to the likes of you.

No, Mick, the Board does not have to explain itself to you.

No, Mick, the "real meat" will come from performances and results on the park.

No, Mick, you really don't need to attempt to drive a wedge between Pedro C and the support on day 1, by denigrating the man, and his abilities. He will stand or fall by the product on the pitch.

Oh, and Mick, the general bafflement you claim to exist is merely a result of you and your fellow chancers being caught out, in a state of complete ignorance.

Frankly, if such a state is, indeed, bliss, most of you people would be locked in permanent orgasm.

When you have to ask the question,

"Who would have thought that that would happen?", or a variation thereon, you know you have ballsed up.

How did he get the job? Simply, and according to the Board's job spec, and person spec, he was the best candidate at the time.

My advice to Pedro Caixinha would be too keep swine at a distance, and to speak softly, but carry a big stick.

Edited by Uilleam

" I know nothing about our new manager. " in the sentence before that one covers it Pete.

It's a warped way of saying that practically nobody on here knows anything about the guy.

I worded it badly, that's all.

I was just joking mate I knew what you meant.

Get over yourselves and have a positive look for once. Judge by time and results and not by how he got the gig.

This is a Rangers forum. I think bemusement is the appropriate response based on this fellow's CV. Would we want a footballer whose been at the clubs he has?

Embarrassing?

I'll tell you what's embarrassing .....

1. Reading page after page of negativity from our own support, especially when it's baseless.

2. Supporters moaning about the guy's cv when it's better than the cv's of most (YES, MOST) of our previous managers before they came to Rangers.

3. The lack of appreciation/knowledge of how far ahead of us some of these international leagues are, including Mexico.

Having said all that, I realise that this embarrassment still exists for many. As a caring human being I wouldn't want you to feel that way so feel free to PM me if you'd like to offload your season ticket and I'm sure we can come to an agreement.

I really hope you guys are in the minority. If not, and this is the attitude of the majority, it hardly fills me with any comfort that one day our fans may be running the club. :brick:

1. Why is it baseless?

2. Which managers is it better than?

3. He was last managing in Qatar, which I'm sure even you will agree is not a high standard. And if you have any argument to articulate regarding the quality of the Mexican league, I am all ears.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

The only thing embarrassing is this thread and the paranoid posters!

The two choices the board had to pick from where put forward by a team put in place by King and co. They didn't have 60 choices that's a lie posted on a message board by an anonymous poster. People need to get a serious grip. Nobody knew MW before he came ,the only inkling we fans had of him was through proximity to England.

Posters who think this is a weird choice should realise you know nothing about his merits or even what is wanted from our new manager. That has been evident from the names being flung about by fans. McCinnes, Mcleish and co were never in the running or even on any shortlist as their footballing philosophy does not match the clubs. To be completely honest most fans don't even seem able to properly assess the skills being looked for never mind an individual's merits in meeting them.

Got to second what gaffer is saying too. Used to think fan involvement at the club was paramount to future success but it's became very obvious the fans need kept in the dark and far away from decisions.

I couldn't really care less what or whom picked our manager. The fact is he's a bizarre choice who has no track record of success in European football. I only hope the board know something that I don't about this chap.

We aren't a club known for unearthing unknown gems in any capacity so let's just hope this is the exception. I think we're going to be looking for another manager soon though.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Yeah! Let's have this thread for a bit of doomsinging ... so we can bookmark it and keep it for later. One way or another, certain people might gloat a bit in one or two years time. Oh wait, that does sound a bit unbecoming for a Bluenose ...

All you do is moan! I realise I do too, but FFS mate stop being such a hypocrite :laugh:.

Aye, this appointment is absolutely baffling. Instead of the usual, uninspiring appointment of yet another Scotsman we really should have been looking to get a foreign manager in. Oh.... wait....

Some people bemoan us getting a British manager when we should be looking for a foreigner - and then complain we get a foreigner in. The term "never happy" springs to mind.

This is exactly like when you complained about me not wanting Eck, despite wanting a manager with a track record of challenging for trophies.

If someone wants a foreign manager, that doesn't mean they want any foreign manager. Are you being deliberately facetious when you oversimplify things like this?