This managerial appointment is embarrassing

The title of this thread is embarrassing...We should never welcome a manager like this...Its what will send anyone packing. I really despair some peoples thoughts sometime....if he fails I will be the first person to admit it but to shoot him down before he is even in the seat - wah nuts.

I agree gribz, but I think we are ok , I don't think the first thing pedro asked for was a log in to gersnet , ........that's a joke by the way lol

Tell me Pete, of the thousands of managers in the 54 UEFA countries you mention, can you give me one name (yes, just one) who we could/should have had instead?

It's common knowledge (I think) that this guy was in the frame before MW. It's common knowledge (again I think) that his interview was excellent and he was the best prepared of all candidates. Given his apprenticeship in many parts of the world which play much better football than here in Scotland (IMO), don't you find it strange (as I do) that you're criticising a board which is not restricted by the ignorance that many so-called football people have?

This is of course a risk, as is any manager. This may not turn out the way we all want it. Equally, I agree that we should all scrutinise decisions and motives after what's gone on in the past, but please let's do it where it's justified. Just because I disagree with your view doesn't make me necessarily question your motives in slating a guy before he's had a chance. Just because you don't rate these other countries' leagues doesn't mean to say they are poor. Just because you don't know of him doesn't make him poor or a strange choice.

I'll repeat my initial question ..... who could/should have had the job ahead of Pedro?

Frank de Boer.

Bert van Marwijk.

Dennis Bergkamp and Arthur Numan(gamble)

Henk ten Cate

Ron Jans

Mario Been

Fred Rutten.

That is just off the top of my head.

It may not be about getting a Scottish manager for you but the OP has stated previously we should be looking for a foreign manager, not a British one and then still complains when he gets what he asks for.

His win rate doesn't mean that much. McCoist had a 72.5% win rate which is far greater than this guys so perhaps we should just have re-appointed Ally. Yeah, I didn't think so either !

How much do you know about the guy to say he has no standout features ? What exactly do you know about him, his methods, his man management, his coaching qualities, his motivational skills, his tactical knowledge, his in-game adaptability, his eye for a player, his ability to get players to give that 10% more etc etc ?

Just what do you know about all of the above to immediately dismiss his appointment as "something stinks" ?

he meant Allegri though.

Posted it in the other thread, but it's better here:

He was clearly in Qatar for the money. You can also look at his experience previously and say, 'he's experienced big crowds and expectations in Portugal (Sporting Lisbon), Greece (Panathanaikos), Romania (Rapid Bucharest) and Mexico (Santos)'. They may not be one of the Big Four/Five leagues, but neither are we. We have huge expectation, but so do Sporting Lisbon, Panathanaikos, Rapid and Santos; some of which are in far more competitive leagues than ours.

It's all about context: you can focus on the above, or that he managed a club in Qatar in front of 400 fans.

Lets look at the positive case:

- Vastly experienced in several countries;

- Disciplinarian;

- Tactician, with a keen eye on detail;

- Recommended by Mourinho -- no to us, but has been in the past;

- Bit of a temper and aggression;

- Doesn't suffer the media lightly;

- Done his training badges in Scotland, so he "knows the Scottish game" (for all the use that is...);

- Clear attacking playing philosophy, but able to change to suit the game situation;

- Won titles in a competitive Mexican league;

- Wants to win at all costs, and I quote, "Defeat is the same as death".

There is a positive case; you just have to look for it.

Edited by Rousseau

Frank de Boer.

Bert van Marwijk.

Dennis Bergkamp and Arthur Numan(gamble)

Henk ten Cate

Ron Jans

Mario Been

Fred Rutten.

That is just off the top of my head.

The question should have been: who could/should have had the job ahead of Pedro, within reason? FdB, Van Marwijk, Rutten and Bergkamp and Numan were not realistic.

And the others, can you not just apply the same criticisms that you've applied to Caixinha?

Edited by Rousseau

The question should have been: who could/should have had the job ahead of Pedro, within reason? FdB, Van Marwijk, Rutten and Bergkamp and Numan were not realistic.

And the others, can you not just apply the same criticisms that you've applied to Caixinha?

Note that none, not one, of those 'names' is an agent of Sports Direct.