Local assistant

The duties of a coach.

So it is a coaching job?

It strikes me as strange that PC would want, specifically, a 'local' guy to undertake run of the mill coaching duties. Where does the requirement for local knowledge come into it?

So it is a coaching job?

It strikes me as strange that PC would want, specifically, a 'local' guy to undertake run of the mill coaching duties. Where does the requirement for local knowledge come into it?

What the hell do I know?

I've made an assumption that it will be a coach. but it's not based on much. I've presumed it's a coach with local knowledge but I could be totally wrong.

Not sure why you're giving me the third degree on it. Your view is as valid as mine.

What the hell do I know?

I've made an assumption that it will be a coach. but it's not based on much. I've presumed it's a coach with local knowledge but I could be totally wrong.

Not sure why you're giving me the third degree on it. Your view is as valid as mine.

You want Barry in the job you deserve the fourth degree.:D

Just kidding of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but the person with the opinion that counts is PC and we will all just have to get behind his choice and wish whoever it is the best of luck.

What the hell do I know?

You think that's the 3rd degree? A sheltered life.

I find it a little strange that people are prepared to bandy names for a job the content of which is something of a riddle.

"It seems, going by the deductions made here, that this position is one not necessarily of coaching, but more about the local knowledge on opponents, grounds, stadia, etc, and that therefore communication skills should be at the fore for any successful candidate." TB at #73 above.

I think that's right. Pedro needs someone who can tell him what it's like at a mid-week match at Kilmarnock - the ground, the pitch, what it's like if Rangers go ahead or behind, the opposition, how they normally play, who their hard man is, who can control the play etc. If he stays he'll get to know all that himself so it's a short term position and it would be helpful if the incumbent could do some coaching.

Failing McCann, my preference from the purported nominations is Lovenkrands. A formal coaching qualification may not be necessary for the job.

When I listened to PC I never got the impression that this 'assistant' was expected to spend any time with the players at all.

When PC spoke about it he said that it's someone local (a "local club assistant") that can help him understand: the cultural issues; the histories of the club and its rivalries; the traditions of the club; what it means to live in Glasgow and in Scotland; how do the opposition managers behave and how do they like their teams to behave; and the history and relevant information relating to the domestic competitions we are competing in. He also indicated he wanted to explain to this assistant how his philosophy works so that the assistant can help him work out any issues in implementing that for our club.

So it appears that this is someone that would work as an adviser to PC, but not a coach to the players. This makes sense and I can understand why he's used a similar approach at each club he's worked at previously. Very often the cultural barriers can be a problem and it doesn't surprise me that his attention to detail means he wants to understand those that may be relevant to what he's trying to achieve. I really don't think this appointment is a big deal though.

{I think this is my 100th post. I know that's nothing compared to many on here, but I've never got that many things to say that are worth posting. I do however enjoy reading the posts from everyone.}

I find it a little strange that people are prepared to bandy names for a job the content of which is something of a riddle.

And yet there's been almost 100 posts on the subject.

Not sure what's strange about making an assumption about the post, particularly given it's something you've done yourself.

And yet there's been almost 100 posts on the subject.

Not sure what's strange about making an assumption about the post, particularly given it's something you've done yourself.

I haven't assumed. I looked at the situation and, after eliminating what functions were filled, thought that I was left with one possibility. I hesitate to call it a deduction.

What is strange is proposing and evaluating candidates for a post, the duties of which are unclear.

I will say that If BF is the candidate of "influential Board members", I should be disappointed if he is installed, no matter the duties.

Edited by Uilleam

I haven't assumed. I looked at the situation and, after eliminating what functions were filled, thought that I was left with one possibility. I hesitate to call it a deduction.

FS. You call it a deduction, I call it an assumption. We've both used the same technique, as you've assumed the number of coaches in deciding what functions have been filled, and you've come up with a different answer to me.

I knew me giving my opinion on BF would provoke some sort of reaction. :D

FS. You call it a deduction, I call it an assumption. We've both used the same technique, as you've assumed the number of coaches in deciding what functions have been filled, and you've come up with a different answer to me.

I knew me giving my opinion on BF would provoke some sort of reaction. :D

Primarily I'm against BF if he is the place man of Board interests. Also I fear that he has a big gub.

But, you know, if the job is as circumscribed as perhaps it may be, I think that his ego will be too big to accept it.