Training Today - Video

My apologies to all. I hadn't seen us use it before. I'm just quite pleased to see us use it with such intensity.

I'm aware it has been used in the past -- football in general -- but it's been given a new intensity and focus by Barcelona's implementation of it; there are various permutations that try to recreate game situations.

As with anything, it all comes down to how the thing is implemented.

Is it viewed as a fitness & ball winning tool (for the one in the middle) or is it viewed as a tool to develop short, sharp, accurate passing.

or is it utilised as both...

As with anything, it all comes down to how the thing is implemented.

Is it viewed as a fitness & ball winning tool (for the one in the middle) or is it viewed as a tool to develop short, sharp, accurate passing.

or is it utilised as both...

Both, I believe. In some iterations there is 1 man in the middle in which the outer players can pass to, encouraging movement and better positioning to receive and make passes.

Seems to help morale too: the Barca players look like they have a lot of fun with it, trying to win the ball back or keeping it away from the middle pressers .

I have been watching Rangers do that for years in pre-match warm up routines, way back to Smith's era (2nd time around) when my son as a youngster always wanted to go in the ground early to watch the warm-up (I suspect this was just to get his hot dog quicker!). This happens around 2.30-2.40 before the final shooty-in at the keeper and then in for final preparations.

Give it a Spanish name and say Barca do it and it suddenly becomes trendy????

I have been watching Rangers do that for years in pre-match warm up routines, way back to Smith's era (2nd time around) when my son as a youngster always wanted to go in the ground early to watch the warm-up (I suspect this was just to get his hot dog quicker!). This happens around 2.30-2.40 before the final shooty-in at the keeper and then in for final preparations.

Give it a Spanish name and say Barca do it and it suddenly becomes trendy????

The Rondo has been around for donkeys years - if Cruyff was doing it at Barca then it pre-dates Walter too :)

The Rondo has been around for donkeys years - if Cruyff was doing it at Barca then it pre-dates Walter too :)

I think you will find it has been in Dutch training schemes since at least the 70's and possibly before that. I moved to Holland in 1980 and it was a common practice for years as far as I know.

I think you will find it has been in Dutch training schemes since at least the 70's and possibly before that. I moved to Holland in 1980 and it was a common practice for years as far as I know.

Do you know a woman called Wilma who moved to Holland I think sometime in the 80's and who is married to an English guy? She came from East Kilbride. Only asking because I was thinking ex pat Scots in a small country might come across each other from time to time.