Dave King defies Takeover Panel order to issue £11m buyout offer

Whilst i agree that even the BBC make errors in English grammar these days, it is a really poor statement, quite apart from saying nothing at all.

(It is also worth noting that you can't really say "13th March", you need to say the 13th of March or just 13 March and there isn't even a full stop at the end, how sloppy is that.)

I did note that, too, but thought the board would find more commentary on this going "off topic" in an irritating way. We find it interesting, though, so I'll keep going until Admin tells me to stop. :)

I go over a lot of business correspondence each week and make numerous corrections and I've all but given up explaining correct textual expression of dates as so few people know or care about it. I deal with multinational companies, so there are further complications with American usage and non-native speakers 'translating' (or mis-translating) from their native style, but very often the errors originate from a British writer. E-mails have had a lot to do with this. Business writing should be formal but e-mails encourage informal writing and the resultant stylistic confusion is quite complex. Still, it means I never have to search far for employment.

Btw, you really should have ended with a question mark . ;)

---

In case of any misunderstanding, that last comment was light-hearted and I am fully aware that forum posts are not the same as official documentation or correspondence.

Edited by SteveC
In case....

I emailed Club 1872 last night as follows.....

This statement is extremely badly phrased.

I'm sure we all know what you are trying to say but the second "this" actually points back to "the TAB ruling" and not "the non compliance of the Chairman Dave King" and as a fully paid up member of the apostrophe society I would suggest "King's" rather than "Kings". Lastly I was taught to say either.... or OR neither..... nor; "neither supportive or critical" is a bit of an abomination quite frankly.

Club 1872 should make a categorical statement that Mr King should have complied with the decision and should not contest any order of the High Court.

Failing to comply has already damaged the image and quite possibly the commercial interests of the Club and Club 1872 should use its best endeavours to ensure he changes course without delay.

You wrote to them to correct grammar. Lol

I am suggesting that there may be some method in his apparent madness i.e. it is a means to an end.

Do you have any idea what this end could be,or are you just speculating without any real end product.

I emailed Club 1872 last night as follows.....

This statement is extremely badly phrased.

I'm sure we all know what you are trying to say but the second "this" actually points back to "the TAB ruling" and not "the non compliance of the Chairman Dave King" and as a fully paid up member of the apostrophe society I would suggest "King's" rather than "Kings". Lastly I was taught to say either.... or OR neither..... nor; "neither supportive or critical" is a bit of an abomination quite frankly.

Club 1872 should make a categorical statement that Mr King should have complied with the decision and should not contest any order of the High Court.

Failing to comply has already damaged the image and quite possibly the commercial interests of the Club and Club 1872 should use its best endeavours to ensure he changes course without delay.

http://play.bbc.co.uk/play/pen/gwcv37b8rq

I did note that, too, but thought the board would find more commentary on this going "off topic" in an irritating way. We find it interesting, though, so I'll keep going until Admin tells me to stop. :)

I go over a lot of business correspondence each week and make numerous corrections and I've all but given up explaining correct textual expression of dates as so few people know or care about it. I deal with multinational companies, so there are further complications with American usage and non-native speakers 'translating' (or mis-translating) from their native style, but very often the errors originate from a British writer. E-mails have had a lot to do with this. Business writing should be formal but e-mails encourage informal writing and the resultant stylistic confusion is quite complex. Still, it means I never have to search far for employment.

Btw, you really should have ended with a question mark . ;)

---

In case of any misunderstanding, that last comment was light-hearted and I am fully aware that forum posts are not the same as official documentation or correspondence.

I do accept the comment as light hearted but would suggest that I didn't need to end with a question mark because it was a rhetorical question.

I agree with you completely about stylistic confusion in business correspondence and the reasons therefor. You are right to blame the Americans for much of this confusion and you may have noticed that President Trump's administration has been soundly castigated for numerous spelling and grammatical errors.

Email and text speak also have a great deal for which to answer.

I have just returned from the Hawai'ian Islands where it is often very difficult to understand spoken English; in shops, for example, because many of the staff are of Chinese, Japanese or Korean origin and the Hawai'ian language only has 13 letters in its alphabet so the few native Hawai'ians tend to speak a kind of pigeon English.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Do you have any idea what this end could be,or are you just speculating without any real end product.

I am speculating that since Mr King is an experienced businessman, albeit in South Africa, he must know the potential consequences of his actions and that therefore he may intend the said consequences to occur.

If he were to be subject to penalties imposed by the High Court or the TPA his position as Chair of RIFC may become untenable.

Edited by BrahimHemdani