The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-closing-two-new-signings-10553943

Fabio Cardoso and Dalcio will jet into Glasgow tonight to become Pedro Caixinha’s latest Rangers signings.

MailSport understands the Portuguese duo will arrive on a late flight from Lisbon before undergoing medicals at Auchenhowie tomorrow.

Vitoria Setubal centre-back Cardoso has been snapped up for a fee of around £1.3million and Benfica forward Dalcio will join on a season-long loan deal.

Ibrox boss Caixinha has already brought in Bruno Alves and Ryan Jack as he rebuilds his squad while another recruit Mexican midfielder Carlos Pena is waiting on a work permit.

Certainly gives you the feel good factor to see the clear differenece in transfer policy targets from previous years

I agree. I imagine that PC is an attraction for some of these players, but getting Alves in was a master stroke. For so many of the Portuguese players, it will be a massive influence on their decision.

Now if we can get Pena secured and a striker (Herrera?) we will be in a good place.

As I've mentioned before in other threads, it is worrying to see the decline in the number of younger fans going to games. However, my son and his pals have a renewed enthusiasm for Rangers now that they recognise the players coming in. They know of Alves and Pena, and you can't underestimate the effect this has on their motivation to watch us rather than the EPL teams.

We tend to think of Celtic, Aberdeen, etc being our competition, but it's not. My son (and others like him) will never support another Scottish team, but they do prefer to watch the EPL, etc and this is the danger to the future of our club.

Bringing in these big name players is a risk, but a risk well worth taking. Well done PC, and well done to the board for hiring him and backing him.

Haven't heard of either of these as I don't follow Portuguese footy but I'm impressed at the level we are buying from. Experienced top-level players is what we need - can anyone confirm ages, preferred positions, strengths etc, and will they have resale value?

To think some defended buying from Accrington Stanley and Wigan as the best we could do 12 months ago, when our finances haven't changed much if at all since then.

The DR artice above goes on a bit and adds another name to the list (though I assume that is just agent's or DR talk)

The Gers boss wants Cardoso, a Portuguese Under-21 international, to partner veteran Alves at the heart of the Ibrox defence while Dalcio will give the manager further options up front.

And MailSport understands Caixinha is still keen on snaring Mexican striker Eduardo Herrera and Norwich City midfielder Graham Dorrans.

Talks are advanced with Pumas hitman Herrera, 28, who worked with Caixinha at former side Santos Laguna, and a deal could be struck this week.

The club are also still in talks with Norwich over a fee for Dorrans who is keen to return to his boyhood club but Sheffield Wednesday are also interested.

Reports have also linked Rangers with a swoop for Fulham’s Scottish midfielder Kevin McDonald who is valued by the Cottagers at around £2m.

I would assume that last bit this is just a stry to push the Dorrans deal through?

On asidenote, this is all greeted with a smiling and a crying eye, as we say in Germany.

We sure add quality to all the departments and hopes will be high that success is just round the corner. On the other hand, I would a) expect that some of these chaps - should they have a real impact and show their potential - will move on in due course to generate money, and b) may hinder the progress of the likes of Beerman, Barjonas, Dodoo or Hardie, to name but a few. In the latter case, I do sincerely hope that the new challenge game for our u20s kick off, as I wouldn't want our young talent being shuttled out to "lesser" clubs again to get "experience". We know that hardly works.

Haven't heard of either of these as I don't follow Portuguese footy but I'm impressed at the level we are buying from. Experienced top-level players is what we need - can anyone confirm ages, preferred positions, strengths etc, and will they have resale value?

To think some defended buying from Accrington Stanley and Wigan as the best we could do 12 months ago, when our finances haven't changed much if at all since then.

Alves- 35 CB 1x euro champ, 4x Portuguese champ, 2x Portuguese cups, 1x Russian champ, 1x Russian super cup winner

highest transfer fee 2010 of around £18m. Still regarded as one of the best defenders in the world arguably top 20. At the reputed £500k a snip who could play longer than the 2 years he has signed up for.

Pena- 27, CM- typical Mexican midfielder, tenacious, fit, solid, with fantastic technical ability, combines workhorse with skill and an eye for a pass. Very quick to shut down the opposition and fast on the break. Personally think he will be a revelation at Ibrox with the Mexican mentality being a perfect fit. Highest fee was £6m in 15/16 season. 2x mexican champion. If all goes well as expected, then a return on the original investment should be almost guaranteed.

Cardoso- 23, 6'1" CB has played for portugal as a bit part player from U15 through to U20's, well thought of and one earmarked for the future. Ryan Gauld spoke well of him and said his ability on the ball is very good along with his defending. For me he is a 50/50 signing. Playing beside Alves should hopefully up those odds in our favour and as we know with defenders down south could possibly demand a very large fee later in his career. That being said he is far from the finished article. A "wonder kid"on Football manager has some who are into that sort of stuff very excited though should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Dalcio 21 CM/RW/AM, an unknown in all honesty but with it being a loan move there is nothing to lose. Played reguarly for portugal U19's and U20's

Herrera- 28, CF 6'2" 1x Mexican champ, had a hit and miss career, not what you would call prolific goal scorer but under Canixiha previously his finishing became eye catching. Strong in the air and always in position for the quick cross from deep. Will probably cost around £1m-1.5m, a gamble but he is the type of player who could thrive under our expected way of playing. Sticks to the middle of the park and pushes on the last defenders shoulder.

Edited by trublusince1982

Some more info from one of the ITK folk on FF ...

With regards Weiss, I can still say with utter confidence he will not be signing for us, despite him possibly being in Scotland just now for a round of golf.

McLean - deal not close to being done, and any deal will be difficult due to the club concerned. He wants to play for us, we want him to play for us, but what with it being a long, drawn out process other clubs down south may move in and offer him money he can't refuse.

Pena, Herrera, Dalcio and Cardoso should all be training with us as of next week.

DoF deal is done, we know it isn't Levein (thank f*ck) but whoever it is is being kept close to the board's chest.

There are more signings to come, and I have no idea if we are making another "marquee" signing, let alone who he is.

I have asked about any info on players leaving but have heard nothing, however I think we can make up our own minds about the players Pedro deems surplus to requirements.

Halliday has been told he can find a new team and leave for free that came from someone close to him.

I'd be a bit disappointed to see Halliday go because he never got to play in his true position which is a left sided attacking MF player. MW played him in a defensive MF role which he was never going to be able to play in the premiership against better sides.

We will certainly be seeing players leaving but we must not get to the stage where, as the season progresses, the first team squad gets low in numbers due to injuries, suspensions etc