The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

I'm delighted to say for the first time in about 6 years .... we don't need any more defenders now. I do however wish the Pepe rumour could have run for a few more days as it was very entertaining.

Mmmm- http://sportwitness.co.uk/rangers-transfers-now-doubt-work-permit-issues-decision-made-coming-days/

t all seemed to be going well for Rangers and Gullit Peña last week.

The Pedro Caixinha had flown in to have a medical ahead of his move to Ibrox Stadium, which he passed with flying colours, and his international teammate Eduardo Herrera was reportedly also close to agreeing a deal with the Scottish Premiership side.

However, as tends to be the case with moves from non-EU countries, it appears there has been a bit of a problem when it comes to the players’ work permits.

According to both Excelsior and Univision in Mexico, the moves to Rangers are now in doubt as neither of the player’s have played in 75% of their national team’s games over the past two years, which, they believe, is a requirement by the Scottish FA before handing out the work permit.

Excelsior say both players now have to wait a few days to see if there’s any way to get around that requirement, and Univision state that could happen if Rangers convince a panel of former footballers that Peña and Eduardo Herrera will ‘contribute to the growth of Scottish football’.

If that’s what Rangers are going for, then they might have a point, as these signings could push a few Mexico fans to take an interest in how their players are doing at Ibrox, were they to sign.

That, and it would certainly help them be more competitive as they try and bridge the gap between themselves and rivals Celtic, even if there is a long way to go.

UK work permit rules for footballers changed in recent years, and now transfer fee as well as wages plays a part, meaning Rangers don’t have to solely rely on international appearances.

How did the yahoos manage to get a work permit foe Kouassi Eboue who they got from Krasnador in January?

He was probably the best player of his age that Patrick Nevin had ever seen.

I would very much expect that we wouldn't have gone all the way with these signings if we were rather confident of getting work permits for all people. The above story looks a bit like click-bait, as it states clearly the reasons why instant permits won't be granted to all, but given the usual policy with footballers, certain factors will ensure that the players will mostly get them despite not fulfilling the No. 1 criteria. Else many transfers of foreigners would simply not happen.

Recap of the status quo (a the Sun sees it), plus Ipswich wanting Garner and that return of AJ to the board:

Pedro Caixinha is already whipping his Rangers players in to shape with 7am training sessions

The Ibrox stars have returned for pre-season ahead of their Europa League qualifiers and will soon be joined by new signings

The squad were left knackered after three tough work-out sessions at Auchenhowie throughout the morning and early afternoon.

Caixinha’s fitness coaches put the players through their paces in what were exhausting exercises after just 15 days’ holiday.

Signing targets Fabio Cardoso, 23, Dalcio, 21, and Eduardo Herrera, 28, did NOT train.

All three players have yet to complete their medicals to seal their moves to Ibrox.

Rangers were still awaiting the results of scans taken before rubber-stamping the deals.

Defender Cardoso is set to agree a £1.5m move from Vitoria Setubal, with winger Dalcio in talks over a loan deal from Benfica.

Gers will also pay around £1.5m for Mexican striker Herrera, with the Pumas hitman requiring a work permit.

Fellow Mexican Carlos Pena, 27, also requires the same paperwork, with a hearing to decide on both players already set for Wednesday.

The Ibrox club, meanwhile, are still trying to do deals to sign midfielder Graham Dorrans from Norwich and Benfica forward Daniel Candeias.

Scotland international Dorrans is eager to return home, but Norwich are holding out for £1million, with Gers trying to strike a deal at £750,000.

Caixinha is also eager to offload squad players, with Ipswich favourite to land striker Joe Garner in an £800,000 deal.

Meanwhile, former Gers chairman Alastair Johnston is set to return to the Ibrox board.

The 68-year-old has been in talks with the club’s current directors over a new role.

US-based Johnston, a native Glaswegian, was booted out of Gers in 2011 when Craig Whyte took charge.

But Dave King has offered the former IMG chief a return, with an announcement expected by next week.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1109036/pedro-caixinha-rangers-training/

And some quotes from Naismith, who seems not to be too eager to come just yet:

Norwich City striker Steven Naismith has not given any thought to speculation linking him with a move to Rangers but stopped short of ruling out a return to the Ibrox Stadium in the future.

Since joining the Canaries from Premier League side Everton for £8.5 million back in January 2016, the 30-year-old has made 45 appearances for the Championship outfit, finding the back of the net on eight occasions.

The dismissal of manager Alex Neil as Norwich boss earlier in March has led to rumours suggesting that Naismith faces an uncertain future, with the Canaries believed to be considering offloading the Scotland international, who is one of the club’s top earners.

However, with the recent appointment of Daniel Farke from as boss, Naismith is determined to force his way into the former Borussia Dortmund coach’s plans and see out the remaining two years on his contract.

“I have two years left at Norwich,” the Scot told the Daily Mail.

“They have said that if there are circumstances where I can move on and it’s right for everybody, it could happen.

“But a new manager has come in. It’s a clean slate for everyone, so hopefully I can impress the new manager and try to be in his plans.”

Naismith went on to admit that an immediate return to Rangers was not at the forefront of his mind, although he did state that he will return to Scotland in the future.

“I’ve not even thought of Rangers,” he added.

“I’ll think about Rangers if it was ever an option but I’m not thinking about that at the moment.

“I’ll come back to Scotland one day. Whether it’s to play golf or play for the local amateur team, I’ll come back.”

Naismith’s departure from Rangers back in 2012 was a controversial one, having decided he would not remain at Ibrox following the ... (edited due to the inaccuracies about what happened back then.)

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/scotland-international-rules-out-rangers-move-committed-current-club/