The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

Personally I think Wilson suffered next to Kiernen. If you do not trust your partner it affects your own game. Kiernen was a car-crash.

I think Wilson will be retained and Kiernan released if we can get him out the door but Wilson my find himself a bench feature if Alves and Cardoso can form an effective partnership before Wilson gets back. And he seems somewhat injury prone for a young guy. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-wilson/verletzungen/spieler/103819

I think Wilson will be retained and Kiernan released if we can get him out the door but Wilson my find himself a bench feature if Alves and Cardoso can form an effective partnership before Wilson gets back. And he seems somewhat injury prone for a young guy. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-wilson/verletzungen/spieler/103819

I'm not sure that he is overly injury prone. He's not so young these days either, he's 25. If you look at Lee Wallace, his injury list up until he was 25 compares, and I wouldn't call him injury prone. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lee-wallace/verletzungen/spieler/36657

I do agree though that if Wilson stays, I can't see a way for him to stay in the first team unless adding good midfielders into the mix really boosts his performance.

why would any player who has proved himself in the English Championship come to the spfl ?

The chance of European football; trophies; playing in front of 40-50,000 fans every second week; Scotland; decent money etc.

I still think we do ourselves a disservice when it comes to what positives there are in coming up here to join our club.

Was about to ask what the latest was, so thanks for that der Berliner.

Danny Wilson is still only 25. I thought he might have improved alongside Hill (who did take a while to settle) a la how he did when playing with Weir, but that didn't really happen. He hardly set the world alight at Hearts either, after failing to do anything at Liverpool.

Playing Devil's advocate though, our defence has been pretty dire for a couple of seasons and has lacked any protection from midfield, so is it too early to write him off entirely? I think its been tough to judge some players over the last while simply because as a team we've lacked cohesion, confidence, spirit or fight.

He hardly set the world alight at Hearts either, after failing to do anything at Liverpool.

He obviously did enough to earn himself the Captain's armband....and lead the team to win promotion from the Championship.

He obviously did enough to earn himself the Captain's armband....and lead the team to win promotion from the Championship.

Hearts fans I know didn't rate him at all during that period and I didn't see enough of him to make a judgement to be honest.

Was about to ask what the latest was, so thanks for that der Berliner.

Danny Wilson is still only 25. I thought he might have improved alongside Hill (who did take a while to settle) a la how he did when playing with Weir, but that didn't really happen. He hardly set the world alight at Hearts either, after failing to do anything at Liverpool.

Playing Devil's advocate though, our defence has been pretty dire for a couple of seasons and has lacked any protection from midfield, so is it too early to write him off entirely? I think its been tough to judge some players over the last while simply because as a team we've lacked cohesion, confidence, spirit or fight.

no its not too early

individually and collectively they are a shambles and all need replaced

the fact the same can be said for midfield is irrelevant

Then again, for long spells we saw frequent changes to our back-4, not least the CHs. Due to injuries et al. Couple that with full-backs more able to attack than defend ... and neither hitting their own standards this season, you have a recipe for problems. The midfield, for long-spells, lacked an imposing and composed player or two, a figure who protected the full-backs going forward or the stopping the opposition to play through the middle. Thus, I would not lay much blame on any individual defender.

At the end of the day, we all knew and know that players need to show their ability consistently at a club like Rangers. And this ability needs to be of a certain standard. IMHO, Don Pedro has spotted that the ability - or ability to sustain a certain level of it - is not there and brought in better talent. Whether that can rise to the challenges of Rangers FC is anyone's guess. As is the possibility that e.g. a Wilson can be or become a better player with someone like Alves next to him. For higher quality can sure unlock talent that is slumbering alongside sub-standard performers.