Joey Barton banned from football for 18 months

In his statement he says he was never involved in games where he had a bet on his own team, the first 3 listed he was involved. Or am I reading this wrongly?

He stated that he did not play and was not in a position to influence any match where he bet against his team.

I am at a loss to understand how the FA didn't know about this a long time ago.

Taking everything he says about the comparisons into account the sentence does seem to be very harsh, though we would have to wait for the FA's stated case to see the justification.

I don't see the "addiction" as a defence but it might be mitigation, somewhere in the region of 6-12 months might be the final outcome.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Have we dodged a bullet here ?

Getting shot off him when we did might have been the smartest move we've done for a while

Our midfield has been in constant flux after he went (which is not to say that would have been different with him, but we know the former) and we hardly had anyone that came close to a enforcer or leader on the park. From what I have read about him in his Burnley days, he would have provided exactly that. We might have replaced some others or changed tactics a little rather then lose Barton.

NB: I know that some will say that he did not cut it and never performed, but then you look at the players about him during that time, the constant change in personell and the fact that quite a few had to get to understand how each other were playing, the tactics of the manager ... and the opposition they were now facing. IMHO, he did no worse than the other 10 out there.

NB: I know that some will say that he did not cut it and never performed, but then you look at the players about him during that time, the constant change in personell and the fact that quite a few had to get to understand how each other were playing, the tactics of the manager ... and the opposition they were now facing. IMHO, he did no worse than the other 10 out there.

Generally the 4-3-3 that we played just didn't suit him. We need someone with a bit more mobility in that position. He would have been much better suited in a 4-2-3-1, which is what I though Warburton was going to play this season given our signings or a 4-1-4-1. It also didn't help when Warburton moved to the left of midfield.

We just didn't use him to the best of his capabilities and Warburton has to take the blame for that.

He has a record like a Glesga ned I would hope there is some way of keeping this idiot out of football for good .

Imagine betting on your own team to lose .

Edited by compo