Rangers players' true level - compared to 90s squad players

Foderingham was at fault for at least 2 of the goals on Saturday. How the hell can a player head the ball in at head height 2 yards from the goal without meeting the keeper? If I was manager I would drop him and give the other keeper a chance.

Still think he's better than Walker was.

Christ knows what durrant's in there for. Even post-injury, he had more ability than our entire squad combined.

I keep reading that this is the worst Rangers team ever, and it's certainly true that the gulf between us and celtic is as wide as it ever has been.

But we have had rubbish players before, some of whom even won a few medals in good teams. It's just we didn't have a first XI full of them.

So which past players can our current line up realistically compare to? Here's my list..

1) Foderingham <> Nicky Walker (keeper before Souness signed Chris Woods)

2) Tavernier <> Ted McMinn (if any manager was daft enough to play him at right back)

3) Wallace <> Jan Bartram (Danish international fell out with Souness)

4) Kiernan <> Scott Nisbet (Champions league hero!)

5) Wilson <> Steven Pressley (Decent player.. for Hearts)

6) Halliday <> Cammy Fraser (won league 86/87)

7) Garner <> Billy Urquhart (6 goals in 3 seasons up front)

8) Holt <> Ian Durrant (post assault by Neil Simpson)

9) Miller <> Kenny Miller

10) Waghorn <> Philip Sebo (big guy, slow, can't score but a trier)

11) Mackay <> Gregg Wylde

Any opinions?

Most of those never played for us in the 90's.

Nicky Walker was a good back-up keeper, perhaps not good enough for to be our number 1 in his time with us. But I'd take him now.

Ted McMinn was a winger and not a right back. He's always been a bit of a cult hero no matter where he went again I'd take him now in the first team.

Jan Bartram don't really remember him he wasn't with us long.

Scott Nisbet was never a big fan but again a cult hero because of his bizarre goal.

Steven Pressley had a solid career away from us but like Walker he was never good enough to be a regular starter for us in his time. But I'd take him now.

Cammy Fraser was before my time, my only memory of him is playing in an Old Firm in Souness first season.

Billy Urquhart again don't remember him

Ian Durrant was destined for big things before his injury and was a good squad player for us after it.

Kenny Miller has always tried hard for us

Gregg Wylde had a couple of good games for us that was it.

If we're talking about 90's squad players how about this?

1. Ally Maxwell

2. Stephen Wright

3. Gary Bollan

4. Brian Reid

5. Scott Wilson

6. Barry Nicholson

7.Derek McInnes

8. Charlie Miller

9. Neale Cooper

10. Erik Bo Andersen

11. Peter Van Vossen

Most of those never played for us in the 90's.

Nicky Walker was a good back-up keeper, perhaps not good enough for to be our number 1 in his time with us. But I'd take him now.

Ted McMinn was a winger and not a right back. He's always been a bit of a cult hero no matter where he went again I'd take him now in the first team.

Jan Bartram don't really remember him he wasn't with us long.

Scott Nisbet was never a big fan but again a cult hero because of his bizarre goal.

Steven Pressley had a solid career away from us but like Walker he was never good enough to be a regular starter for us in his time. But I'd take him now.

Cammy Fraser was before my time, my only memory of him is playing in an Old Firm in Souness first season.

Billy Urquhart again don't remember him

Ian Durrant was destined for big things before his injury and was a good squad player for us after it.

Kenny Miller has always tried hard for us

Gregg Wylde had a couple of good games for us that was it.

If we're talking about 90's squad players how about this?

1. Ally Maxwell

2. Stephen Wright

3. Gary Bollan

4. Brian Reid

5. Scott Wilson

6. Barry Nicholson

7.Derek McInnes

8. Charlie Miller

9. Neale Cooper

10. Erik Bo Andersen

11. Peter Van Vossen

I thought Scott Nesbitt was a good defender who unfortunately had to stop through injury. Peter van Vossen was a really good player who was capped for Holland in a time the Dutch had a good team. I think that 1 miss ruined his career with us.

I thought Scott Nesbitt was a good defender who unfortunately had to stop through injury. Peter van Vossen was a really good player who was capped for Holland in a time the Dutch had a good team. I think that 1 miss ruined his career with us.

I always liked Van Vossen and thought he would have a renaissance when Advocaat joined, he did! It was just a pity it was with Feyenoord and not us.

Salenko who Van Vossen replaced I thought was also a good player he just didn't settle with us and he was very slow. Van Vossen's first touch when he was with us was his biggest downfall.

We saw far more glaring misses from other players in Blue, but given the hype about the Van Vossen one, it stuck to him alone like super glue. Methinks people should look at the Vladikavkas game video to get a better picture of him.

Anyway, after two disappointing games against the Scum, and given that people have nearly diametrical opinions about players now and then, that comparison exercise is one for the boring 5 weeks of summer break ...

One memory that will never leave my head was Mikhailichenko pulling his head down out of the way of a shot when he could easily have headed it away. That goal put us out of Europe if I remember right.

I like many others just don't get this thread. Why compare a winger to a right back? The players chosen are spread over 4 decades.

Guys like Cammy Fraser and Durrant would walk into the current team.

I also think Nissy would have a good shout of getting in. Pressley was never a first team regular while with us.

I just don't get it.

If we really wanted to compare teams then the 85-86 team where we finished in 5th place, 9 points behind 4th position when it was only 2 points for a win and then we may have a good comparison.

However even that would be difficult as we had Ally and Cooper and many will think of their performances under Souness, and not how they performed that year..

I now can't even remember the initial point of the thread but that doesn't matter. It's great when the memories come flooding back as soon as certain names are mentioned. Nesbitt was also a favourite of mine, and I'd imagine all supporters were the same. He wasn't the most skilful player but he always gave everything in every game. I miss players like that. And of course, no one will ever score a goal like he did in Europe. We were right behind the flight of the ball as he hit it against their defender, and we could see the spin. What an experience that was, although it was not until later when we saw the highlights at home that we saw the look on his face when he scored. Priceless.

I want the European nights back at Ibrox so badly. The domestic games are the bread and butter but there's nothing like those Euro nights. Bring it on.

Edited by Gaffer