How can wealthy ex-Gers players help put money back into the club?

I remember a few years ago, Rangers played AC MIlan legends in front of a 50,000 crowd at Ibrox on a Friday night. It was £10 a ticket and Ally McCoist scored the only goal. Why not make games like these a regular event at Ibrox?

A lot of these ex players owe their millions to the club, yet they must be anguished to see how far we have fallen, in terms of quality of player and competing for the title. But with Mike Ashley having the retail deal sewn up for the next 5 years, no prospect of a further shares issue and very little European or TV money, how can we narrow the financial gap with celtic, and increase our advantage over the likes of Aberdeen? Well that night in 2012 was special, and genuine legends were on display for both teams. Now using my A level maths, I reckon half a million quid must have been handed over at the turnstiles that night.

I don't know what comes off, but say we had a monthly game at Ibrox and charged even £5 to get in. I reckon at least 20,000 would turn up for every game. We could get the players to play for free hopefully, and let's face it even ex-players from other clubs would love to play in front of huge crowds in a throwback to their glory years again. Seniors golf is quite successful, I think Sky Sports even show some events. I reckon we could generate between £50,000 and £100k each month with these games. Who is going to turn their noses up at that, in the current financial situation in Scottish football?

Would posters on here be interested in things like this, or any other fundraising ideas??

Players may play for free as a one off but probably not on a regular basis. Players are generally selfish. if they do play for free you still have their travel and accom costs.

There would also be associated costs of putting the game on including police, not forgetting a sixth of your income disappears to the VAT man.

Would 20,000 turn up on a regular basis? Look at midweek non season ticket attendances. 25-30,000 and sometimes lower. Would many of them turn up at a non first team non competitive midweek game?

I didn't attend the last legends game and I doubt I'd go to others in the future.

It's great that you're thinking outside the box and you may be into something but I'm not convinced it will work.

I think you could do it once a season but the attendance would very much be based on current events.

If the team is doing well, I think you'd get a turn out. Same if you do it in the summer and make a day of it - i.e. have a family BBQ before/after the game which the players attend and get involved.

If the team is struggling, then people may be less inclined to go as apathy will reign.

I think you could do it once a season but the attendance would very much be based on current events.

If the team is doing well, I think you'd get a turn out. Same if you do it in the summer and make a day of it - i.e. have a family BBQ before/after the game which the players attend and get involved.

If the team is struggling, then people may be less inclined to go as apathy will reign.

Most Dutch teams have an open day just before the start of the season. It is used to introduce new players and for the other players to mingle with the supporters. Sometimes they even include trials for kids. My nephew was spotted by Sparta Rotterdam at the Sparta open day. They took him out of the club he played for and put him into a feeder amateur club playing much higher football. Unfortunately he went off the rails with anger when his father died when he was about 13 and he then became a problem kid always in trouble and subsequently stopped playing football

Yeah, I know some Scottish teams do it.

Maybe expecting too much of our millionaire players to mix it with the commoners but if Rangers want to address the issue of community then this is an option instead of crap videos.

We should have a Family training week every summer. Adults £10 and all kids free. Do it over a week as it gives folk a chance to book a day off work etc plus gives the club extra income.

Open only Govan and Copland stands. There will be minimal costs for while the club would make extra income over the summer. Potentially cultivating interest in the club, season tickets and PC's new approach and methods.

Edited by cooponthewing

about time boards of whatever hue started running the club properly.

That is what is happening, and why we haven't splashed multi-millions on players - there isn't the infrastructure to back it up yet.