Broadfoot urges caution over Lafferty's Rangers return

By Laure James

May 29 2017

Former Rangers star Kirk Broadfoot has warned Kyle Lafferty a dream return to Ibrox would be far from plain sailing.

Lafferty has spoken of his hopes of pulling on the blue shirt again after being shown the door by Norwich City - but a route back to Glasgow still seems a long way off.

The 32-year-old Rotherham skipper, who has been linked with a return to Scotland with Kilmarnock, won silverware galore with Lafferty and Northern Ireland captain Steven Davis during a five-year career at the Gers, but reckons a return for Lafferty may be difficult after he received fierce criticism when he quit the club following their spectacular fall from grace in 2012.

"It has been frustrating to see Kyle struggle to settle," said Broadfoot. "One minute he would be unplayable, the best on the park, and then in other games you're a man down with him. I think he needs that run of games where he can get some consistency.

"He needs a club which suits him, where he can play each week and get to the point where he can show that fantastic form he has done at international level.

"It is just a case of getting a club which suits him, he is at the age now where he needs to be playing.But a return to Rangers? Maybe. Maybe not. I am not sure, I don't know if he would go back to Rangers now.

"I don't know if the fans would take to him. I know he's a Rangers guy and all that, and I don't think he would do any harm there, but whether he's the player who solves Rangers problems, I am not sure.

"I stayed and jumped down, and then left, so it does depend on how you leave. If he were to go there and score a hat-trick against Celtic I am sure all would be forgotten."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/rangers/broadfoot-urges-caution-over-old-teammate-laffertys-rangers-return-35765368.html

Definitely not. Acted the goat too much and was in the injury room far too often. He had half decent talent on his day but those days were few and far between. Plus he is 32 now and must be losing pace.

Ex players need to get it into their heads that we are not a retirement home.