Rangers Complete Bruno Alves Signing

I'm delighted with this as our first summer signing. Shows real intent. I think it's similar to them signing Toure last season except I reckon Alves is in better shape and is playing at a higher intensity and frequency. We don't have the centre halfs to keep Alves out though, so it's great that he is still delivering the amount of appearances at his age.

The summer window really is the best time to get these players in. They come to Scotland around this time and see the country at its best. Warmish, lush and happy. I hope these signings from warm countries can adapt quickly.

Great start to the window!!!!

Edited by Barebear

He's certainly an interesting signing and brings a lot of experience, something a centre half can't have enough of for me. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to beatify him just yet but he's got a great record and whilst he's in the twilight of his career he's dropping down a level from Serie A so he should still be able to perform at a good level in our league.

My only word of caution is the intense season he's had, playing during the Euros last summer then a full season followed by the Confederations Cup means he really could do with a break. Whilst it won't suit us we should give him a month off when that comp is over, let him recharge, we've a long season ahead and it would be better not to lose him to fatigue related injuries during the season. We're pretty certain to lose him to suspensions as it is.

He's not a particularly dirty player, 5 yellows and 1 (straight) red last season, 3 of those yellow cards came in his last 4 games.

In Scotland though, instead of welcoming a powerfully tough and talented international defender the media will be finding a way to show him as some sort of thug.

The video going around of his 'assault' on Broon is comical...watch it...my take on it is Broon tries to be Messi and Alves gives him a reminder of what he really is...a complete dick! His booking for that was uncalled for as he pointed out to the ref it was his 1st foul and that was after 64 mins. Broon embarrassingly went down like a sack of spuds.

Brenda with the promptings of Liewell will be shouting about referees when Alves has the likes of Dembele in his back pocket after the first OF game of 2017/18.

Delighted with this signing, quality player and signed up early. I hope there are a few more of similar stature to come before the European tie.

Alves won't be playing for us in Europe for the first 2 games at least.

He's certainly an interesting signing and brings a lot of experience, something a centre half can't have enough of for me. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to beatify him just yet but he's got a great record and whilst he's in the twilight of his career he's dropping down a level from Serie A so he should still be able to perform at a good level in our league.

My only word of caution is the intense season he's had, playing during the Euros last summer then a full season followed by the Confederations Cup means he really could do with a break. Whilst it won't suit us we should give him a month off when that comp is over, let him recharge, we've a long season ahead and it would be better not to lose him to fatigue related injuries during the season. We're pretty certain to lose him to suspensions as it is.

What you say about fatigue-related injuries has merit, however, we shall need all available bodies to hit the park running from the start.

How shall we survive the Europa qualifiers with a weak central defence? He can rest during his suspensions.

I think its a great signing, was hoping ever since we were linked with him that it would come off, as mentioned above it is great to have a center back with such experience in there and a guy that is still being selected for Portugal on a regular basis even at 35. Not even that he is commanding and intimidating, a lot of forwards in our league will think twice about going up for headers or going in for 50/50's, our defence last year was as limp as I can remember, maybe with the exception of hill and once PC came in he managed to shore it up a bit.

Even from a youth players point of view, how invaluable is this going to be for guys like Aidan Wilson and David Bates to have this guy in the squad, they will learn a lot from someone like him.