General feel so far - Genius or monumental disaster?

In these days of online and TV 24hr, instant breaking news, we need information. I'm on holiday the weathers 30 degrees outside and i'm on here with Sky on in the background. It seems sometimes if nothing being done, then kaboom everything happens within a few days, last weeks news was incredible , up to that though it wasgetting frustrating hearing nowt. Suppose it getting the balance right.

Why is it always great or disastrous? I'd be happy to see us cement second place. That's both disastrous and great depending on one's point of view.

Expectations I guess.

I think mass progress cementing second place is what I said as a good season.

I want to see steady improvement this season, I can just about accept this season losing the title again, but we must finish second and by a hugely reduced margin (around 10 points). We should be winning one of the cups to prevent another treble, and depending on the draws in europe we should make at least the final qualifying round.

I was severely critical of Pedro last season, especially the back to back capitulations to the bheasts, but am prepared to give him a clean slate for this season now he has got his first choice picks into the squad. I remain to be convinced, and if it doesnt work out, we will be left with a large number of players who also havent worked out, all on 2-3 year deals that we wont be able to get our money back on, so it is a huge gamble by the board to go down this road. I would much rather take the punt on players like this with international experience than players from the English backwater with no experience, so it is a step up from who MW wanted to bring in.

Although we have done a lot of work on our squad early in the summer due to our early start, a lot of work will remain to be done between now and Aug 31 to move players on, see what we can get from the loan market, and see where we are short nearer the deadline and see if we can bring any others in.

Cautious optimism. I was really optimistic last season and that turned out dreadfully, so i'm not getting carried away this year, but more in hope than expectation I am really looking forward to Thursday to get my first sight of the new look side, and then my first trip back (of many I hope!) into Europe the following week.

I was severely critical of Pedro last season, especially the back to back capitulations to the bheasts

King addressed that by saying Pedro was told to go out and play it in the fashion he wanted the team to play regardless of whether he yet had the players who could actually do that effectively and regardless of the fact it may end in disaster.

“If he had gone against what he was trying to achieve and trying to shore it up and get a 1-1 draw he wouldn’t have learned about the players.

“He knew what he wanted to do. He was testing the players in a competitive environment.”

He tested them against Celtic and didn’t abandon them and say, ‘let’s lose 2-1 or draw 1-1.’

“He tested the players and we saw an evolution in his player plan.

“He learned a lot about the ability and character of the players in his squad in those weeks at the end of the season and identified specific players.

“It’s probably fair to say now we are now in the high 90s percentage wise in terms of getting the exact players he wanted"

“What we can say is that we are all happy with the players he got.”

King addressed that by saying Pedro was told to go out and play it in the fashion he wanted the team to play regardless of whether he yet had the players who could actually do that effectively and regardless of the fact it may end in disaster.

Yes, I read and heard King say that but I'm not buying that. Is King really telling PC how to set his side out? No chance, PC royally fecked up the two OF games with poor team selections and tactics. The sign of a good manager is he can adjust his style to suit playing a better opponent, nullify their strengths etc. I don't know what more evidence he needed that MW's squad was poor from the other games. If PC had set the team out properly and individual errors cost us the game that's fine. He would have learned enough from that.

Are we to believe we deliberately threw the two OF games as a test?

King's work behind the scenes has been pretty damn impressive recently, but his performances in front of the cameras do him no favours IMO.

Transparency cannot always be given as some of the behind the scenes work is very delicate. Remember the RST lost McCall(?) when it came out in the open. Would C1872 got Ashely to the table if they were shouting from the rooftops. Sometimes we have to put our trust in these guys after all that is what people voted them in for. It would also be absurd if they have to come running to the supporters for every decision they make. The important thing is that at the end of the year they can account for every decision and where possible periodically keep the fans informed of ongoing business.
there is a thousand degrees between full transparency and what we do. The way we behave and communicate comes across as we operate in a world of fear ,as if we are not a big enough draw to compete. It's a small club mentality that literally costs us millions in potential income. Our tight lipped approach leaves our online services redundant.

Take the FF thread this season on transfers. At the start when posters where leaking information the thread went through the roof, creating mass excitement and intrigue. Compare it to now when the club has silenced people and the fans are bored and off doing other things. But not a single iota concerning recruitment has been effected . Releasing information after the fact excludes participation. Participation breads money. We shouldn't fear competition. Obviously there is a time and place but we are quite frankly a million miles off and pretty prehistoric in our approaches to communication. All I see is the money slipping through our fingers.

Edited by trublusince1982

Best to ask after we have played all the other teams once then we might get an idea were we are , I hope it all turns out well because the past five years have been hell .

Yes, I read and heard King say that but I'm not buying that. Is King really telling PC how to set his side out? No chance, PC royally fecked up the two OF games with poor team selections and tactics. The sign of a good manager is he can adjust his style to suit playing a better opponent, nullify their strengths etc. I don't know what more evidence he needed that MW's squad was poor from the other games. If PC had set the team out properly and individual errors cost us the game that's fine. He would have learned enough from that.

Are we to believe we deliberately threw the two OF games as a test?

King's work behind the scenes has been pretty damn impressive recently, but his performances in front of the cameras do him no favours IMO.

I don't think it can be described as King telling Pedro how to set up the side but rather telling him to set up as he pleases and at that stage with none of his own players involved the board would accept the result with no reflection on Pedro.

This season that will be different. Now this is his team.