Barrie McKay's Ibrox future in doubt after he is sent to train with Under-20s

surely waghorn isn't going to start upfront? Don't see it myself anyway.

He has been in the friendlies!, PC could throw in Morelos to start?, Morelos has been coming on late in the friendlies!, but who else would PC play, Herrera?

surely waghorn isn't going to start upfront? Don't see it myself anyway.

It might be a safer option for going for Herrera or Morales, who haven't really played since they arrived. I'm sure either or both will get game time on Thursday though....

Rangers will receive money for McKay.

I've posted earlier my thoughts on a player, no matter how gifted, who has no actual end result.

Take the money and let him go.

Edited by boabie

Of course it is entirely possible that McKay is in earlier for extra training/treatment?, after all this is all gutter press talk!

very true, he did miss the first few days/week of pre-season if i recall correctly?

C'mon Billy, do you think Walker will still want to play for us if we offer him less money than he's on just now? Or the same? These guys are professionals and want paid what they believe, or their agents are telling them, they are worth. I've never read anything that says McKay doesn't want to play for us, he signed a contract extension only 18 months ago. If the club don't think McKay is worth an English Championship salary they should say so and put him up for sale. I think he's definitely worth that and is by far our most creative player. To sell him and replace with someone who has spent most of the last season out injured makes no sense to me.

I'm old enough to remember when supporters moaned that Davie Cooper didn't 'try' hard enough, that he didn't influence games as much as he could, that his attitude wasn't all it should be, that he didn't get stuck in, all the criticisms I've started hearing about McKay in recent months. McKay has shown he can play with the best of them, he's still a young player, like most creative players and most young players he can be inconsistent, but he's better than anyone else who is at the club and most in the league.

He, McKay, has been offered an extension; I do not know the terms; it seems that he is loathe to sign it. Ergo, I am left to conclude that he wishes to continue his career elsewhere.

Maybe he has been tapped up; maybe he is advised by an agent that the grass is greener elsewhere; maybe the boy just fancies a change; maybe he just fancies a Bosman, and a big signing on fee; maybe someone has greatly upset him.

Personally, I think that he would be better advised to stay, and learn under a new, technical, coaching regime. He has time on his side in this regard. Maybe he does not fancy the work.

He is a decent player, although over the piece last season he did not shine. (Nobody did, really.)

Cooper was generally regarded as enigmatic, a euphemism, I suppose, for a quality player who could be inconsistent. It strikes me that persevering with Cooper was worth while because when he was good, he was very, very good, and football, then, perhaps allowed for a luxury player to be carried through his inconsistencies.

Are we sure that McKay will regain form? Will that form be comparable to that of Cooper? (I sense a chorus, here.) Will it be sufficient to justify carrying him through a fallow period, or periods? Does the game, currently, allow the team to carry a passenger, on the strength of talent, and potential application of it, alone?

McKay has shown little in the last 10 months to allow me to answer these questions in the affirmative.

Of course, I should like him to stay, regain form, and contribute to the success of the team. Should the Club pull out all the stops to keep him? Of that I am unsure.

We should never forget that no man is bigger than the Club.

Barrie has all the skills needed to succeed, however you can have all the skill in the world but if you don't have the mentality required then you won't make it to the top of the game.

If he doesn't want to sign an extension then it would be better if he went now!, silly boy.

He, McKay, has been offered an extension; I do not know the terms; it seems that he is loathe to sign it. Ergo, I am left to conclude that he wishes to continue his career elsewhere.

Maybe he has been tapped up; maybe he is advised by an agent that the grass is greener elsewhere; maybe the boy just fancies a change; maybe he just fancies a Bosman, and a big signing on fee; maybe someone has greatly upset him.

Or maybe the offer he's been made doesn't match what he can get elsewhere and what others at the club are on.

Personally, I think that he would be better advised to stay, and learn under a new, technical, coaching regime. He has time on his side in this regard. Maybe he does not fancy the work.

Why do people think McKay is lazy or afraid of hard work? Visibly he looks like one of the fittest players at the club and he's certainly one of the fastest. In 2016 Warburton explained that both McKay and Holt were covering over 14km per game in late March, more than anyone else in the team. That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't fancy hard word. Perhaps he just doesn't fancy the new manager of course.

He is a decent player, although over the piece last season he did not shine. (Nobody did, really.)

Well, exactly.

Cooper was generally regarded as enigmatic, a euphemism, I suppose, for a quality player who could be inconsistent. It strikes me that persevering with Cooper was worth while because when he was good, he was very, very good, and football, then, perhaps allowed for a luxury player to be carried through his inconsistencies.

Are we sure that McKay will regain form? Will that form be comparable to that of Cooper? (I sense a chorus, here.) Will it be sufficient to justify carrying him through a fallow period, or periods? Does the game, currently, allow the team to carry a passenger, on the strength of talent, and potential application of it, alone?

McKay has shown little in the last 10 months to allow me to answer these questions in the affirmative.

Of course, I should like him to stay, regain form, and contribute to the success of the team. Should the Club pull out all the stops to keep him? Of that I am unsure.

We should never forget that no man is bigger than the Club.

McKay is a match-winner, someone who creates chances in every match he plays and who will continue to improve as he gains more and more experience. That's absolutely worth persevering with, particularly when we've no replacement for him. I see no point in giving Hearts half a million (or more) for Walker when we could give it to McKay to sign a new contract. McKay is better than Walker.

It does seem his time at Rangers is coming to an end and I'm certainly not privy to what goes on in the dressing room, perhaps the relationship between him and the manager has broken down. It saddens and concerns me because I believe he could be something quite special and as a player we developed the club should have a better insight into his thinking and his state of mind. I guess I still think PC will be gone by this time next season and so I'd rather McKay stayed.

I'm with John 100% on this one. McKay is (Niko excepted) the most talented and best player we have at the club, and if what I heard is correct is on a fraction of what other, lesser, players are on in our squad. The new offer took him to just below what other poorer players are on, and his agent would be right to ask for at least the same as the improved contracts given to some at this time last year.

I hope Barrie and the club can find a solution to this impasse, as we can ill afford to lose one of our best players.

I recall one game last season after Barrie had been criticised in the media compared to some other players that he didnt have enough assists - he created 5 good chances in a 15 minute spell and our forwards missed every one of them. Comparing assists is only fair if the same percentage of chances are taken at each club. When our strikers were as woeful as ours were last season, not even Messi could get his assists up to an acceptable level.