Rangers v Progrès Niederkorn - Failure is not an option

Tonight was all about Kranjcar, he ran the game for 60 minutes and was taken off too early IMO. He has the close control of the real Hemdani and the vision and range of pass of Ronald de Boer. Sadly we don't have a Michael Mols, although Miller does his best and once again came up trumps.

If one or two of the others could get on his wavelength we'd be quite a team; Pena perhaps?

I was impressed by Cardoso, always looked comfortable (as did Bates), though there will be much sterner tests to come, and always looked to find a pass to a Rangers player out of defence. Saw nothing to tell me why Dalcio is an improvement on Mckay and even less from Waghorn. Can only assume no one in England wants him.

Holt works very very hard and did not look out of place; Jack goes about his business effectively but often unnoticed.

This was little more than a training match; Progres offered nothing more than two disciplined lines of four and an inspired goalkeeper. I'm confident we'll win at least 2-0 in Luxembourg. I'm somewhat less confident about overcoming AEL LImassol's team of Brazilians, Portuguese and Spaniards, 4-0 winners tonight in what appeared to be an empty stadium in Gibraltar.

Foderingham had basically nothing to do, except a save when Bates was turned.

Tav - as always decent going forward, great cross for Niko when he headed over but should have scored, defensively exposed when attacked. Will cost us against better teams.

Bates - Decent, tidy performance for the most part, but I do expect him to be replaced once Alves comes in.

Cardoso - Very comfortable in possession, thought he looked quite good.

Wallace - Ponderous on the ball, particularly second half. Perhaps just lacking in match fitness or lack of understanding with Dalcio. Both should improve as the team gels.

Jack - Thought he was our best player (after Niko). Broke up their play on the few times they threatened and kept the ball moving whenever he received it. I do think he will be a big upgrade on what we had last year.

Holt - Industrious and tidy. Thought we lost our shape a bit when he came off.

Miller - Kenny being Kenny. Effort, effort and more effort. Took his goal well.

Kranjcar - Imperious, thought he was sublime in the first half, even if he was blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes. Kept going but he slacked off in the second half. Needs to cut out the fags!

Dalcio - I do like the idea of a left footed left winger, particularly when Herrera comes into the team. Just not sure that he is the left winger that we need! Did ok when he moved over to the right and put in a good cross, but needs to work on his shooting.

Waghorn - Tried hard, but nothing is happening for him at the moment. Still think he is off once Herrera and Morelos get up to speed.

Candeias - Looked quicker than MoH (!) and put in a few decent crosses. Once Waghorn is out and we have a targetman in, think that he could create loads of assists.

Rossiter - If he can stay fit, I would expect to see him replace Holt and build on a partnership with Jack.

Morelos - Came on when we had no creativity, but would like to see him get a start in the away match.

Overall, I was disappointed with the scoreline, but encouraged by the first half performance in particular.

The football in the first half was excellent, and unlike some of the others on here, I thought Dalcio looked really good. He was very aware of his defensive duties and filled in every time Wallace overlapped. I can't remember McKay ever making the effort to do this. Dalcio's awareness and movement is very good for a young(ish) player and I'd expect him to create chances in a more open game. His link up with Kranjcar in the first half created some wonderful moments. I can't see how anyone could have been anything other than highly impressed with the first half display, however once again we lacked someone who wanted to get into the box to score. Miller will not be in the first eleven this season. I just can't see a place for him despite his work rate.

Jack, Holt and Rossiter look as if they are well drilled in the holding roles and were always looking to link the play between the defence and the attacking midfielders. We badly missed this last season. It may turn out that Jack was our most effective signing. I'm surprised at how much he has changed the dynamic of the game, especially in the transitions.

Cardoso looked like he strolled through that game, and Bates looked a different player in terms of confidence. It will be interesting to see them play higher level opposition. Despite them both looking comfortable, we lacked a leader at the back to reorganise when Progres overloaded us, or when our players were out of position during a transition, but we know that it's Alves that will take control when he comes back so I wasn't too bothered about that.

The second half was disappointing, although playing PC's style at that tempo will demand high levels of sharpness and fitness and clearly the players were struggling after 50/60 minutes so unsurprising that the performance dipped.

I thoroughly enjoyed that first half performance though and had we scored some of those chances I'd have been delighted. If we keep playing like that, and have someone who desperately wants to get into the box for those crosses, we will do well this season. And dare I say it, if we play against teams who are more open, and don't put 11 men behind the ball, we could tear teams apart with PC's approach.

Edited by Gaffer

Nico will take some sore ones. It's a certainty he will be shut down, and if he lasts till christmas we will be doing well.

A shame if we judge players on tonight, players in a new country, new players round about them.

Let's see where we are at the beginning of August.

By the beginning of August we could be out of Europe, that's the problem!

I was thoroughly entertained by the first half, but disappointed by the result; we really should be scoring more against this side; then again, what should I have expected with Miller and Waghorn up front!

The difference, for me, between the first and second half was that in the first we were looking to occupy the half-space, so there was a pass for Dalcio and Wallace on the left, be it Kranjcar that drifted in or Jack once in a while (even Miller occupied it at times), so we were able to progress the ball into the final third; there was always a nice triangle there for easy ball recycling. It wasn't so good on the right side, but totally disappeared in the second half. Kranjcar fading, playing deeper and then going off didn't help.

The pressing and tempo -- first half -- was excellent, and I'd hope to see it for the full 90 minutes as the players get fully up to speed.

The change to a more 1-2 set-up in central midfield (with Jack as lone DM, with Kranjcar and Miller (?) further forward) didn't work, which is funny because most were saying we would only need one DM in this game! The double pivot helps with ball possession, and allowed us to control it. He fixed it soon after by bringing on Rossiter. We need someone to replace Kranjcar as the no.10.

I think McKay is better than Dalcio, although he was perhaps better at covering his full-back; he didn't do anything wrong.

I actually thought Morelos looked more lively than Waghorn, which is ridiculous, holding up the ball well with good strength on one occasion.

Candeias looks quick! He didn't quite gel with his teammates (Tav), but he's just arrived. Tav and Cadeias were isolated a little, with no midfielder looking to support, like Jack did on the left side; Tav was always forced to go back.

Edited by Rousseau

Of course we'll be out of Europe in August. Were you expecting us to make the group stages?

While Chairman and manager will never say something like that, this will be the stark reality, unless we carry some luck with both performances and draws. 3rd and 4th rounds will see medium to high quality sides and while not wanting to sound all too negative, the Europa League is a bonus this season and we should treat it us such.

While Chairman and manager will never say something like that, this will be the stark reality, unless we carry some luck with both performances and draws. 3rd and 4th rounds will see medium to high quality sides and while not wanting to sound all too negative, the Europa League is a bonus this season and we should treat it us such.

I think we will have considerable difficulty getting beyond Q2 never mind Q3 & Q4.