[FT] Partick Thistle 1 - 3 Rangers (Pena 55; Candeias 94; Herrera 99)

That's correct TB, he's perfectly suited to that central role in the 3 attacking midfield positions. He's at his best when he can keep moving the ball (i.e.When he can take players on, but he's not so good when having to hold it up) and he needs someone who he can play quick one-twos with (because he's brilliant at breaking through defensive lines with these passes and runs). He would have Candeias and Morelos in particular to work with.

I'm not sure he is a No.10. He's more of an 8, a box-to-box player that likes to ghost in and make late runs; I'm not sure he's ever been the main creator, per se. However, I think in Mexico he was played in a 4-2-3-1, but was one of the 2; deep, but not a DM.

I'd like to see him as a 10, but he'd perhaps gain more from a run at 8 so he's involved more to gain better sharpness.

That's more of a risk but to minimise that there's no reason why him and Dorrans couldn't rotate.

I'm not sure he is a No.10. He's more of an 8, a box-to-box player that likes to ghost in and make late runs; I'm not sure he's ever been the main creator, per se. However, I think in Mexico he was played in a 4-2-3-1, but was one of the 2; deep, but not a DM.

That's true. Me saying he's an ideal 10 is based on opinion rather than from his usual position. He is excellent at moving the ball quickly and I would love to see him play that 10 role, but I may end up with egg on my face if he can't perform there.

Whilst I also don't think he is a 10, from the fleeting appearances he has made I think he could be very effective in that role, simply because of his movement. He is the type who wants to play the ball, make a vertical run and get it back - it is very hard for defenders AND midfielders to defend against.

In fact, given Miller drops deep so often to collect the ball, dropping Miller for Pena wouldn't change the formation or tactics that much - you just would have Pena starting from slightly deeper than Miller's starting position... but further forward than Miller's ending position (because Miller drops TOO deep to collect and recycle the ball). This also means that Morelos isn't isolated. It also means that when Morelos runs the channels, which I think he has been very good at, Pena is in an advanced position to become the 2nd striker.

Some suggestions that Pena will indeed start the game tonight. :whistle:

Speaking to a wee Mexican chap out here about Pena, he said he has the quality but it all depends on if he can cope with the physical side of Scottish football, said he has had some trouble with his wife but never really said too much other than that.

Bit of pointless post by me really!:D

Edited by ian1964

Speaking to a wee Mexican chap out here about Pena, he said he has the quality but it all depends on if he can cope with the physical side of Scottish football, said he has had some trouble with his wife but never really said too much other than that.

Bit of pointless post by me really!:D

"El Chapo"?

Edited by Uilleam

I work with a couple of Mexican chaps namely Hector and Juan who are familiar with both Pena and Hererra who are apparently well known in Mexican football. Juan knew that both had gone to Scotland while Hector knew they had gone to Europe but didn't know where. He does now.

I work with a couple of Mexican chaps namely Hector and Juan who are familiar with both Pena and Hererra who are apparently well known in Mexican football. Juan knew that both had gone to Scotland while Hector knew they had gone to Europe but didn't know where. He does now.

Hector & Juan :roflmao: - do they drink Corona or Tequila ? Do you call them "gringo" ?