Rangers 0 - 2 Celtic

I don't remember us ever beating "SPL dross" easily with any regularity. Even with Walter (2nd spell) we may have won the majority but the games were not easy; always tight, with performances fluctuating wildly. I often recall being annoyed at performances, but saying to myself 'a win's a win'.

Actually, we all do. Every one of us cares where we are in the table. All we are disagreeing about is when that becomes important. For many of us, it matters at the end of the season, although mid way through the season is a decent time to take the temperature of our performances. Doing this in September is just ridiculous.

But here's the thing. Many on this forum had decided that Pedro was a terrible manager before ANY games had been played. That's a fact, and they will continue to use any piece of evidence to prove their original opinion was correct. I actually believe that there are many who want him to fail, just so they can say "we told you so".

Pedro has shown me that he has more passion and interest in Rangers than many of its so called supporters. None of us truly know yet if he will be a success at the club, but the man deserves time to show it one way or another. I think I'm going to have to take time out of the forum because it actually just winds me up when I read things like "we are Rangers, we should not settle for second". Just over a year ago we weren't even in the top 12. Let that sink in. And for those that think throwing money at a problem will solve it, it just shows you know nothing about building a football team. I don't actually blame you for that, because why would you know about it, but you're blaming a manager that really does (in my opinion) know how to do it.

For the avoidance of doubt, I've seen enough over the past 2 games in particular to get excited about. I wish others did too, but understand if you don't. And for the avoidance of doubt also, I don't yet know if PC will achieve what I want him to, but at the moment there is NO-ONE ELSE (and by no-one, I mean not a single manager anywhere) that I would want as our manager right now. I'll be supporting him until at least the end of the season, because at that stage we will then know what he is capable of.

Good luck Pedro. You've got the press willing you to fail. You've got some referees willing you to fail. You've got most other clubs willing you to fail. You've unfortunately got many of your own "supporters" willing you to fail. What a story if you could be successful despite that lack of support.

Well said that man. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, this is what we should be doing (supporting him).

A further point is that I honestly believe we have no chance of winning the league anyway until the way the game is run is changed. We're simply not be allowed to. Either by riots (not just by timz) or by docking us points, the current set-up in Scotland would stop it from happening.

Edited by SteveC

I had the Motherwell-Aberdeen game on for 20 minutes or so today, and my words it's brutal! It's hit and rush football. There may be plenty of 'fight' in it, but that's what's wrong with Scottish football: too much emphasis placed on it; it's meaningless when we come up against any tactically proficient side.

Moult's good in the air, and lays the ball off nicely, but I don't know what else he'd bring to our side? Herrera and Morelos can both do that job very well. PC doesn't play with two out-and-out forwards anyway, so I'm not sure Moult would replace Morelos; a bit like Herrera now.

McLean is anonymous. And Walker -- to carry on with the golden trio that'll "improve" our squad -- is just a better Billy King; brings nothing to the game -- all his goals were penalties.

I'd take them all, to, at the very least, weaken our opponents, but for me they only add squad depth, they do not improve our squad by any great degree.

Our football has been terrific at times. It's just that mental toughness that's lacking -- and results... :D

For me the biggest indictment and the gravest criticism I can make is not one supporter I know is surprised we lost and many are relieved it was only by two. That's where we are as a support and a club currently.

When Walter Smith took over in 2007 we'd just been put out of the Scottish Cup, there was instability and schisms in the squad and we were already out of the title race by January.

In the next two transfer windows Smith signed veterans Davie Weir, Ugo Ehiogu, Christian Dailly and Roy Carroll on free transfers to bolster the defence, Steven Davis and Amdy Faye on loan and Darcheville on a free. We spent money on Lee McCulloch from Wigan. He then took the best players from Hibs (Kevin Thomson and Stephen Whittaker), St Mirren (Broadfoot), Kilmarnock (Naismith) and Falkirk (Alan Gow) to complement the signings of Daniel Cousin, Demarcus Beasley and Carlos Cueller. In total, over two transfer windows we spent about £10 million, recouping around £3 million through the sales of Clement, Svensson and Sionko with a further £9 million with the sale of Hutton in the next transfer window.

Without calculating wages Smith spent approximately a net £7 million in his first two transfer windows. His strategy of signing the best young players in Scotland, combined with experienced players entering the end of their careers supplemented with a handful of good value foreign players should have been the blueprint for us to follow. If reports are too be believed we spent over £8 million in the transfer window just closed.

Now it seems we did try and buy Walker from Hearts, there were stories of us being after McLean from Aberdeen and we did sign Jack of course. But no Moult, no Ali Crawford, no Jason Cummings, no Liam Lindsay? Whether you think these players are good or not isn't the point I'm debating, by buying that type of player we not only weaken the opposition but we bring in players who don't need time to settle, acclimatise or understand Scottish football. There are players at other Scottish sides good enough to improve this current Rangers side.

Now I can accept that the Rangers Caixhino inherited were in worse shape than the squad Smith did, I can also accept that Celtic were further ahead of us than Strachan's Celtic were, although they were double winners and were playing, and competing, in the Champion's League at the time too. But our expectations are currently so low we're excusing not only poor performances, players and poor tactics but, frankly, bizarre signings and a suspect strategy. Are we really better than last season? If we are it's not by much and I'm not convinced we are. Does anyone still think signing Pena and Herrera was smarter than signing say Walker and Moult?

So, please, don't mistake this for an anti Pedro rant. It's not. I don't want him to 'fail' to be proved right, that's ludicrous. Literally nothing would make me happier than for him to succeed. I've been criticised on here for being too negative, too knee-jerk and for not giving this current Rangers side time. But those who criticise me, and Pete and the others who are disillusioned with what we see, ask yourself this; where is the fight, where is the heart and where is the desire in this side? We might well be too negative but I don't understand how, after 7 matches, four of them at home, with a record of 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, everyone isn't starting to wonder if this is going to work.

For all we can complain about the ref yesterday (for the record Craig Thompson is an ex-BB officer and St Mirren season ticket holder from Paisley, he's no Celtic patsy), about missed chances and ifs and maybes, not even the most one-eyed among us can seriously doubt that Celtic played within themselves and were coasting for the last half hour with their minds already looking ahead to the Champion's League match in mid-week. We should have been kicking Celtic off the park yesterday, everyone of their players should have known they were going to miss the next couple of matches if our players had anything to do with it. They should have been scared yesterday. They weren't.

I know there will be calls for more time and too early to judge, and I understand why. But understand why some of us don't believe more time will make any difference. That's not because we have unreasonable expectations or a personal dislike for Pedro.

The lack of fight is deeply worrying and casts a shadow over some of my earlier agreements and comments. I had a brilliant view of the midfield in the second half. I'd like to say "midfield battle" but I cannot.

Also why do we start every 2nd half asleep whatever the setting (or am I imagining that)?

Edited by SteveC

I had the Motherwell-Aberdeen game on for 20 minutes or so today, and my words it's brutal! It's hit and rush football. There may be plenty of 'fight' in it, but that's what's wrong with Scottish football: too much emphasis placed on it; it's meaningless when we come up against any tactically proficient side.

Moult's good in the air, and lays the ball off nicely, but I don't know what else he'd bring to our side? Herrera and Morelos can both do that job very well. PC doesn't play with two out-and-out forwards anyway, so I'm not sure Moult would replace Morelos; a bit like Herrera now.

McLean is anonymous. And Walker -- to carry on with the golden trio that'll "improve" our squad -- is just a better Billy King; brings nothing to the game -- all his goals were penalties.

I'd take them all, to, at the very least, weaken our opponents, but for me they only add squad depth, they do not improve our squad by any great degree.

Our football has been terrific at times. It's just that mental toughness that's lacking -- and results... :D

Just toughness and raw courage that is lacking,Captain Courageous and his like would have the dry boak at this team of handbag carriers.

The lack of fight is deeply worrying and casts a shadow over some of my earlier agreements and comments. I had a brilliant view of the midfield in the second half. I'd like to say "midfield battle" but I cannot.

Also why do we start every 2nd half asleep whatever the setting (or am I imagining that)?

How can we have midfield fight if the referee makes it clear that any sign of fight from one side will result in a yellow / red card?