Board meeting held earlier today: Caixinha insists he's still in charge

As we turn conversations, naturally, towards the next manager we have to consider what is needed.

Before the shouting starts, hear me out! What we need as a club is a Walter type manager. Not tactically (too defensive for my taste, but there's an argument it might not be bad in that respect) but a manger who can run the club. As many have said, we seem to lack leadership from the boardroom, and having a statesman type manger in post would help with that. Someone who can control the dressing room and has the respect of the players, who can manage the media and the politicking that goes with Scottish football, and someone who can change things up tactically when needed. Walter is perfectly suited for two of those threads, if we can find someone to match all three we're moving in the right direction...

As we turn conversations, naturally, towards the next manager we have to consider what is needed.

Before the shouting starts, hear me out! What we need as a club is a Walter type manager. Not tactically (too defensive for my taste, but there's an argument it might not be bad in that respect) but a manger who can run the club. As many have said, we seem to lack leadership from the boardroom, and having a statesman type manger in post would help with that. Someone who can control the dressing room and has the respect of the players, who can manage the media and the politicking that goes with Scottish football, and someone who can change things up tactically when needed. Walter is perfectly suited for two of those threads, if we can find someone to match all three we're moving in the right direction...

If only Souness didn’t have it so easy at Sky ...

Biggest call will be who chooses the next manager , massive call to let a D of F whos only ever been in charge of an academy to make it

The guy who gave Pedro the job should be following him out the door. A club the size of Rangers appointing a manager with no record of achievement is unbelievable.

Yeah, some fair points there.

I do wonder if appointing Walter would help PR wise (e.g. media coverage) but that can't be a primary consideration.

If only Souness didn’t have it so easy at Sky ...

Interestingly, last evening BBC Radio Scotland played a minute long clip of a fifteen minute recorded interview with Souness. The whole interview will be broadcast Sunday afternoon. The panel at Pittodrie last evening was Richard Gordon, Liam McLeod, Wullie Miller, Tom English, Chris McLaughlin, and Pat Bonner. Covering the Rangers game from BBC Scotland's HQ at Pacific Quay, was the retired Chick Young. Souness offered the demise of Scottish football being the result of the demise of Rangers. The reaction from Pittodrie was venomous and vitriolic. Several minutes of traducing a most successful Scottish player and manager.

Chick Young asked, "why bother interviewing him"? They turned on him, all six of them were determined not to allow Chick to make a point.

Yeah, some fair points there.

I do wonder if appointing Walter would help PR wise (e.g. media coverage) but that can't be a primary consideration.

If we didn't already have the position filled, I'd possibly consider him in a DoF position... I don't think his tactics quite work for how we would like to see the team playing. It would be a short term fix though and if he can shore up the defence (we have the quality there...) it would go along way to turning our fortunes around. Negative football is negative football but it did get us to a European final...