Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

you certainly don't like him :)

If I was at a club at the bottom of the league he is THE man I would want, Swansea are bottom trying to play good football with Clement and it certainly didn't work did it.

The main thing now for them is to survive and he certainly has the pedigree to do that IMO.

I really don't, to be honest.

Swansea are unique in the sense they have a club philosophy that has done well for them -- that's why they always had another man lined up that could take over seamlessly, Rodgers, Martinez, Laudrup etc. Pulis is really not that man. Any other club, I'd say, Yes, Pulis would have a good chance of keeping them up. With Swansea, I don't see it.

Different era. You have to take into account the money he spent though.

That only leaves Pedro and PLG.

Pedro didn't work out because of too many bad results in a short space of time. PLG on the other hand might have been successful had he hung around longer and directly challenged those conspiring against him.

Pedro didn't work because he's obviously a crap manager. Nothing on his CV suggests he isn't and he was a joke appointment. Employing Pedro was like when Ali Dia pretended he was George Weah's cousin to get Souness to sign him for Southampton.

Given how PLG has done since us it doesn't look like he was very good in the first place either.

To not employ another foreign manager when they have all the best success, techniques, ideas etc just because we made two mistakes would be beyond moronic. We've had a load of failed British managers recently - both permanent and temporary.

I really don't, to be honest.

Swansea are unique in the sense they have a club philosophy that has done well for them -- that's why they always had another man lined up that could take over seamlessly, Rodgers, Martinez, Laudrup etc. Pulis is really not that man. Any other club, I'd say, Yes, Pulis would have a good chance of keeping them up. With Swansea, I don't see it.

I can imagine a lot of Swansea fans would be devastated getting him. He's the complete opposite of what they're about and it would be a real slap in the face. Talksport just now are saying they're going for De Boer anyway.

For the money he spent it was really spectacular. Two leagues out of four with those squads against much poorer SPL sides and a Celtic just recovering from near bankruptcy is pretty poor.

Not only that, the money he spent was literally stupid. 5.5m for Kanchelkis at his age with no way of getting anything back, making huge losses on players like Amato without giving them a chance, wasting something like 1.5m on the best England U21 player with him hardly playing a game etc. etc, etc.

We went from having money in the bank to dramatic downsizing after he left and DM having to put 50m into the club as well as something like 20m from Dave King and 15m from Joe Lewis. Although I suppose some of it went on the Stadium and training centre.

However, I think without Advocaat, we'd have probably been able to pay our way out of the EBT snafu. His legacy is where we are now.

We made no loss on Amato and you seem to be omitting some of his signings like Numan, Van Bronkhorst, Mols, Reyna, De Boer etc. It didn't help Advocaat that he inherited a squad that needed to be rebuilt from scratch, and at a club with archaic infrastructure.

And if he was given the money he was obviously going to spend it. Murray's legacy is where we are now.

I think there are a couple of main reasons that stopped Pedro from being successful. The first is that no matter how intelligent and knowledgeable your are on the game, it's hard to make it work unless you also have man management skills. Pedro could probably trounce Walter on tactics but the latter will win on consistent results because he knows how to get the respect of the players and motivate them to play well enough to get a result. especially against weaker sides - which is what 95% of the Rangers managers' job is about.

Secondly, when you're so intelligent and knowledgeable, it makes no advantage if your players are not on your level or wavelength. You have to be able to communicate what you want and have players doing all the things you need without having to stop and think about it. If you can't find a way to dumb it down a bit and create drills that instil the required instant responses and also get the players to believe in it, then your system will never work unless all your players are as intelligent and as knowledgeable as the manager.

I think that it will work better if you are able to buy the best players in the world, many of whom are the most intelligent and understand modern tactics. When you're at our level, it will probably never work - especially in Scotland where we are a backwater when it comes to teaching kids about the more intelectual parts of the game.

I'm going more towards the thinking that for us, we need a manager who has a more basic, more easily communicable game, but who can manager and motivate the wide ranging personalities of the players, and instil a winning mentality, even if it's sometimes just grinding out the results.

Actually, we need another Walter Smith...

Strong rumours on FF that all is not well between Allen and the board and there could be a parting of ways shortly.

Which is ridiculous, given he has been there less than a year. Wonder what the issue is and which side it is that has the issue...

For the record I support Eck coming back but I know not a lot of people agree. I think your post might not be directly aimed at me though

Definitely wasn't aimed at you mate - but some of the things Advocaat achieved and gets lauded for are the very same things Eck gets pelters for.

I wouldn't advocate Eck coming back - he has had his time.