Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Desperate, a manager who has had a good career at the top level in England?

Who would you like and why?

It wasn't aimed at you, as I saw his name doing the rounds on Twitter.

He knows how to defend, I'll give him that, but he hasn't got a scooby how to win and play football. Four Centre-halfs and one in midfield? No thanks.

It has to be a foreign manager for me; but one that knows how to win. Not sure how realistic that is, though.

It wasn't aimed at you, as I saw his name doing the rounds on Twitter.

He knows how to defend, I'll give him that, but he hasn't got a scooby how to win and play football. Four Centre-halfs and one in midfield? No thanks.

It has to be a foreign manager for me; but one that knows how to win. Not sure how realistic that is, though.

Unless we get more funds and sign better quality we need to firstly defend better so that would be a priority for me. I see stoke are struggling and linked to him again so I'm sure that would be his preference to us anyway.

I would prefer someone British, someone who makes their teams hard to beat then we can build from there if we can get in better quality players once we get more investment, but when will that be.

We don't have the quality to consistently play a good style of football and mix it physical wise which is needed up here and I don't think a foreign manager would sort that out for us.

Unless we get more funds and sign better quality we need to firstly defend better so that would be a priority for me. I see stoke are struggling and linked to him again so I'm sure that would be his preference to us anyway.

I would prefer someone British, someone who makes their teams hard to beat then we can build from there if we can get in better quality players once we get more investment, but when will that be.

We don't have the quality to consistently play a good style of football and mix it physical wise which is needed up here and I don't think a foreign manager would sort that out for us.

A "good style of football" doesn't mean we are open to the point of suicide. A good style of football can be the German way of the high press, whereby they concede few because they are aggressive and score more in the process. Being defensive -- although it is important -- does not win you games. Pulis' win% barely gets over 40%; that's not good enough for us.

Moreover, we don't need more quality -- although I'll take it! -- to play better, winning, football; we need a manager/coach that can implement a modern style. Being tough to beat is not enough.

It doesn't have to be either/or, Defend or Attack.

Edited by Rousseau

IMHO, our main problem is not the defenders we have, but that our midfield doesn't boss games and the strikeforce is still not lethal enough for Rangers standards. Okay, saying that, our defenders, not least the full-backs, do look suspect in recent times. Then again, much is put under the microscope in this day and age and you would not want to have had fanboards (and fans like today) in the mid90s either ... for rest assured, players would have been slaughtered for a bad game like many are today.

The point with all these EPL guys is that they have, for the best part of the last 20odd years, worked with budgets beyond sanity, no matter who they spent it on. Would someone, with next to no knowledge of the Scottish game, market and environment, be a wise choice to recruit ... and then being handed a budget of, being very generous, say 5m?

A "good style of football" doesn't mean we are open to the point of suicide. A good style of football can be the German way of the high press, whereby they concede few because they are aggressive and score more in the process. Being defensive -- although it is important -- does not win you games. Pulis' win% barely gets over 40%; that's not good enough for us. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Moreover, we don't need more quality -- although I'll take it! -- to play better, winning, football; we need a manager/coach that can implement a modern style. Being tough to beat is not enough.

You do need good players to play good football , you can't expect players just to change style and all of them to be good at it. You just say foreign but don't have any names or why they would work. I respect your opinion but don't agree with it.

Unless we get more funds and sign better quality

I disagree.....Player funds & better quality players are not the problem in the SPFL.

We were just humped by St Johnstone.....we've also been humped by Hamilton....do these teams have better players than us???

The player pool that we have is more than capable of being competitive in Scotland. I believe we've dropped 16 points at home this season, and only sitting 5pts behind the league leaders. What we are lacking is cohesiveness & consistency - exactly what Ceptic brought in with Brenda. They haven't brought in a raft of new players, many of them are still from Delia's time, yet he has them playing consistently and cohesively.

I believe that the longer the recruitment goes on for, the more pressure the Board will find themselves under. They have said they will take their time to get the right person in.....after 2 months, he BETTER be the right person, otherwise I think it would be justified for heads to roll. Also I think that ANY manager appointment should be initially until the end of the season (with options to extend notably longer)....we don't want to be in a situation where the new man turns out to be a dud & we're faced with a heft pay off.

I disagree.....Player funds & better quality players are not the problem in the SPFL.

We were just humped by St Johnstone.....we've also been humped by Hamilton....do these teams have better players than us???

The player pool that we have is more than capable of being competitive in Scotland. I believe we've dropped 16 points at home this season, and only sitting 5pts behind the league leaders. What we are lacking is cohesiveness & consistency - exactly what Ceptic brought in with Brenda. They haven't brought in a raft of new players, many of them are still from Delia's time, yet he has them playing consistently and cohesively.

I believe that the longer the recruitment goes on for, the more pressure the Board will find themselves under. They have said they will take their time to get the right person in.....after 2 months, he BETTER be the right person, otherwise I think it would be justified for heads to roll. Also I think that ANY manager appointment should be initially until the end of the season (with options to extend notably longer)....we don't want to be in a situation where the new man turns out to be a dud & we're faced with a heft pay off.

Some of our players are not good enough to play for us, you see players leaving us and perform very well, with us they underperform, this is not always the managers fault is it?

It seems to me they can't step up to a bigger club with more pressure.

It's easy to play against us, get to wings, cross and score or run at us as we don't tackle and let the get a shot away nearly all the time.

We don't have full backs who can defend but I understand they are probably our most creative players we have going forward, the full backs we have are not good enough to do both jobs. I don't think a manager can improve some of our players they are just not good enough we do need better quality and more consistent players, a new manger can improve tactics of course and players but not everyone.

Just to say I am not totally against foreign managers, although if we did go down that route I would have liked them to have worked in the UK.

OK I am away to get ready for a birthday treat lunch from my better half, that's me off here for a while :)

At this point would take pulis and breath a massive sigh of relief. I agree with others saying he's defensive but in all honesty if we were good at even just one aspect of the game we could easily challenge for the league.

Bring in pulis spend the next 2-3 years teaching the squad how to defend, and bring in proper defensive training, then when pulis has ran his course build on that defensive unit, by bringing in a coach that can defend but also be more expressive.

That or get bilic in. His passion would set the cat amongst the pigeons in Glasgow and cover the tactical deficits.

Either way we need £2m a year for manager

Some of our players are not good enough to play for us, you see players leaving us and perform very well, with us they underperform, this is not always the managers fault is it?

It seems to me they can't step up to a bigger club with more pressure.

I would say that is as much, if not more to do with the environment & the coaching staff than the individual. Players are (primarily) sign based on their ability, if the player can't display that ability at our club, it's not because he has suddenly lost it.

I would very much doubt that a pro-footballer wouldn't relish the opportunity to play in front of 50k fans on a Saturday afternoon.

Look at how many teams over the years have changed Manager/backroom staff, then without changing players, turn into a match winning side - again Ceptic are a good example. Not because they suddenly brought in a whole raft of £3-4m players, but because they got the backroom/off-field stuff right.

If players trip over the ball with us, then join a rival team & suddenly run rings round our players - in the same, if not more hostile environment as before, than again that's not a fault with the player.