The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

It is a very difficult one to try to persuade a young kid to sign a pre-contract with us, when they have no idea who the manager is going to be.

Maybe they do though... ;)

Rangers are set to land Norwich defender Russell Martin on loan this week.

Mailsport understands the Ibrox club expect to conclude a deal for the Scotland centre-back until the end of the season.

And the 32-year-old will become boss Graeme Murty’s third loan capture of the transfer window
after the arrivals of Jamie Murphy and Sean Goss.

Murty, who watched his Rangers side seal a 4-2 win over Corinthians last night, knows Martin from his time as a Carrow Road coach and is now ready to bolster his defence for the return to Scotland.

I'm always looking at players from a universal perspective: are they actually good players in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps we just need players -- as JohnMc has said -- that can do well now, in the Scottish game. I've not watched Martin at all really -- not even Scotland games -- but surely he should be strolling this league, considering the level he's played at? 

I think Alves strolls it, without being spectacular: wins every aerial duel, clears his lines, can pass into the final third accurately etc.

Underwhelming, but maybe it's what we need?

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I'm always looking at players from a universal perspective: are they actually good players in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps we just need players -- as JohnMc has said -- that can do well now, in the Scottish game. I've not watched Martin at all really -- not even Scotland games -- but surely he should be strolling this league, considering the level he's played at? 

I think Alves strolls it, without being spectacular: wins every aerial duel, clears his lines, can pass into the final third accurately etc.

Underwhelming, but maybe it's what we need?

As we agreed the other day though, the management know more than us regarding players, so we can only trust them on signing targets. Murty knows Martin well so he obviously thinks he can make a difference immediately, something I agree with especially loan deals. And you are correct Martin should stroll the Scottish league.

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

As we agreed the other day though, the management know more than us regarding players, so we can only trust them on signing targets. Murty knows Martin well so he obviously thinks he can make a difference immediately, something I agree with especially loan deals. And you are correct Martin should stroll the Scottish league.

Touche.

I will trust Murty in this regard. I'm underwhelmed, but I do think he should be solid enough for this league, considering the level at which he's played (PL for several years, and the CH, which is not easy).