The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

1 minute ago, Tannochsidebear said:

There doesnt seem to be much desire from Murty to go to a 2 up top, and we have only went 3 at the back during games due to circumstances, I dont recall we have started with it under him. It looks like while Murty has tried a lot of different shapes in midfield, the back 4 and sole striker seem to be his preference.

If we are to sign Martin it must be to partner Alves (or Alves is leaving which I dont see) as there is no point bringing in a 30+ player on loan for 20 games to be backup. While I would agree with Murty that we need a proper partner for Alves as I dont think Wilson, Cardoso or Bates are good enough (a few recent good games apart from Wilson & Bates, their consistency is suspect), I dont believe Martin is good enough to be that defender we need. He has had too many absolute stinkers for Scotland in recent years to be a good player.

Murty introduced the 4-4-2 (diamond), so I see no reason why he'd suddenly ditch it; it suits us well, considering the number of midfielders we have.

I agree about Martin. (I was only speculating about the 3-at -the-back; it is an option, if not perhaps very likely.) He would be an underwhelming signing, but as I said elsewhere, he should be good enough for this league -- even if he has been poor for Scotland.

I dont recall us ever playing with a twin strike force under Murty. When we had the diamond did we not have Windass in behind Morelos? They didnt play as a twin strike force to my recollection?

Windass playing in the 10 slot has seen him produce his best football for us (still not good enough but so much better than when he plays in a wide area) but I havent ever seen him play as a striker the way Cummings or Morelos would. Unless you are thinking on someone else and I have gone a bit dizzy and cant remember!

5 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I dont recall us ever playing with a twin strike force under Murty. When we had the diamond did we not have Windass in behind Morelos? They didnt play as a twin strike force to my recollection?

Windass playing in the 10 slot has seen him produce his best football for us (still not good enough but so much better than when he plays in a wide area) but I havent ever seen him play as a striker the way Cummings or Morelos would. Unless you are thinking on someone else and I have gone a bit dizzy and cant remember!

Perhaps Windass did play off Morelos slightly, but to me it was still two up-top. Both switched in the role they played: one would play centrally, with one drifting a tad. It was fluid, I'll grant you, but I think it was a twin strike-force. To be honest, I don't think anyone plays with a old-fashioned twin strike force anymore. Even the great AC Milan side had Shevshenko and Inzaghi playing off one-another in their 4-3-1-2. Perhaps it's just semantics?

It would be even more of a twin strike force with Cummings; Windass does have a natural tendency to drift. 

David Edgar is also saying he has heard from well positioned people that Cummings is further advanced than we think and that Hamilton want 750k for Docherty and we offered 600k so we are not far away from them. He thinks Alves will be leaving to let Martin in. Cardoso stated that he wanted to stay.

Cummings is surely being sought to provide competition to Morelos and options for Murty. With Miller injured and possibly finished we've only got Herrera and Hardie as recognised forwards at the club. No one has seen enough to know if Herrera is good enough and judging by his lack of appearances Murty doesn't think Hardie is capable. That's not good enough for a club like ours. Cumming is similar is size and style to Morelos and can be interchangeable should Morelos get injured, suspended or lose form. Plus I suspect there will be interest in Morelos from clubs with more money than us in the not too distant future. 

Martin can come in an do a 'Davie Weir', we need a couple more experienced professionals at the club. 

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not a fan of Cummings - more to do with his personality than his football ability though.  

I think he'd score plenty for us though.

I always thought he was a bit of a t*t, but I think that came from his former team colours.