The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

If the management has analysed the situation and concluded that we won't make a move for Naismith, then I'm inclined to trust them -- they'll have better information that we ever will. 

It looks like an easy move, but it's still a gamble. He looks finished: 31, not played in a long time through injury, and then not been in contention even when he has been fit. We're too caught up in what he did 5 years ago. 

At 31 I doubt Naismith is past it, and even if he's lost a yard of pace Naismith's game wasn't based on speed and power. With Pena gone and Kranjcar struggling we need some guile. Naismith offers that and can play as a second striker very effectively. Indeed a busy, explosive type player like Morelos would do well paired with Naismith. Players like Tav, John, Holt and Windass would love playing with Naismith, he sees runs, he finds space and he creates openings for players like them. 

He also brings experience, our starting 11 against Celtic was one of the youngest and least experienced I've seen Rangers field. We need some experience in our side. 

I've no idea if the Hearts story has any truth in it, but he clearly wants to come 'home' and I can't think of any good reasons why Rangers wouldn't facilitate that. 

I doubt Cardoso and Alves will be going anywhere -- and hope they won't be. 

I think we ask too much of Alves. He's been pretty solid, for me; wins every header and clears his lines. We praise Bates for the exact same thing! He's always been that type of player. Perhaps we expect more because of the level he's played at?

2 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

At 31 I doubt Naismith is past it, and even if he's lost a yard of pace Naismith's game wasn't based on speed and power. With Pena gone and Kranjcar struggling we need some guile. Naismith offers that and can play as a second striker very effectively. Indeed a busy, explosive type player like Morelos would do well paired with Naismith. Players like Tav, John, Holt and Windass would love playing with Naismith, he sees runs, he finds space and he creates openings for players like them. 

He also brings experience, our starting 11 against Celtic was one of the youngest and least experienced I've seen Rangers field. We need some experience in our side. 

I've no idea if the Hearts story has any truth in it, but he clearly wants to come 'home' and I can't think of any good reasons why Rangers wouldn't facilitate that. 

Maybe he's just not good enough anymore, or it's perhaps a gamble considering his age and injury problems? The management team will know more than any of us.

Whatever they decide to do, I'll trust their decision. 

He could well be a decent option for us, but it could also be the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Sure, but what is the actual gamble?

He could be another wage, divide the support, dressing room, while being sh*te. 

I'll trust the management's decision; they'll have more information than any of us.