The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

24 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

He is/was I believe our best attacking midfield option. His knack of turning up late into the box and getting onto the end of things is hard to teach. Yes, he seemed to struggle with the pace and aggression of our game, but I dont believe he got a run of games to fully let him get to the pace of the game, yet his goals return for his limited time involved beats everyone else who has played in that slot by some distance.

If Murty wasnt going to play him, and we use the wages saved to finance good acquisitions, then fair enough.

For whatever reasons, it was fairly plain that Pena wasn't for applying himself or particularly interested in doing a professional job with Rangers.

Facts prior to him joining were that he had been good enough to play for Mexico and that in more recent times had had issues outwith the game that might have been a factor in a sustained lack of form.

The signing was a distinct gamble. Pedro Caixinha was to be the man who was to get Pena back to playing the way he had been when capped by Mexico. If he did, we'd win a watch and have an excellent midfield bargain with sell-on value....The real gamble had been Pedro Caixinha.

What we got was a Pena who wasn't particularly interested or bothered in applying himself.

Caixinha left and the writing was on the wall and if there was any doubt about his attitude, we got yesterdays video tweet

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Docherty would make much more sense (if the fee wasn't prohibitive).

Arfield is 29, would want a big wage and wouldn't have much resale value potential.

Given the difficulty of securing serious European revenue in the short-term, we could do with making something out of player trading. 

46 minutes ago, buster. said:

For whatever reasons, it was fairly plain that Pena wasn't for applying himself or particularly interested in doing a professional job with Rangers.

Facts prior to him joining were that he had been good enough to play for Mexico and that in more recent times had had issues outwith the game that might have been a factor in a sustained lack of form.

The signing was a distinct gamble. Pedro Caixinha was to be the man who was to get Pena back to playing the way he had been when capped by Mexico. If he did, we'd win a watch and have an excellent midfield bargain with sell-on value....The real gamble had been Pedro Caixinha.

What we got was a Pena who wasn't particularly interested or bothered in applying himself.

Caixinha left and the writing was on the wall and if there was any doubt about his attitude, we got yesterdays video tweet

I saw nothing to suggest he "wasn't for applying himself", or "wasn't particularly interested or bothered in applying himself". I saw him laughing and joking, fitting in with teammates in training, and working hard on the pitch. He's lost his touch, though; his control is terrible; and not the quickest. As TB said, his goals-to-games ratio is superb, and his knack of finding space is second-to-none. 

And 'short-gate' ( :D ) is just a made-up story; nothing in it at-all. It took me several views to see what people we up in arms about. 

Again, Arfield is a good player: an established PL player. Terrific signing. But he's just too old. 

I'm wondering if this is a deliberate ploy, though? Perhaps we're looking at improving the first-team over the next year; just to knock us up a level. These names will certainly do that, but they're not long-term signings.

It's funny how we're all looking at their re-sale value and age, but not at what they can bring to the team now. Will Docherty be able to improve the team now? I'm not sure. Will Arfield? Yes. Will Kevin McDonald? Yes. But we don't want them! We're hardly known for our patience either!

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I saw nothing to suggest he "wasn't for applying himself", or "wasn't particularly interested or bothered in applying himself". I saw him laughing and joking, fitting in with teammates in training, and working hard on the pitch. He's lost his touch, though; his control is terrible; and not the quickest. As TB said, his goals-to-games ratio is superb, and his knack of finding space is second-to-none. 

And 'short-gate' (:D) is just a made-up story; nothing in it at-all. It took me several views to see what people we up in arms about. 

For me, it's more about not seeing anything to suggest he was applying himself.

16 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Again, Arfield is a good player: an established PL player. Terrific signing. But he's just too old. 

I'm wondering if this is a deliberate ploy, though? Perhaps we're looking at improving the first-team over the next year; just to knock us up a level. These names will certainly do that, but they're not long-term signings.

It's funny how we're all looking at their re-sale value and age, but not at what they can bring to the team now. Will Docherty be able to improve the team now? I'm not sure. Will Arfield? Yes. Will Kevin McDonald? Yes. But we don't want them! We're hardly known for our patience either!

Many Gers fans right now are looking for the silver bullet that just isn't there.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

At the end of the day, It's a judgement call / business decision.

Perhaps we are prioritising the short-term given the need to start qualifying for European group stages. If you go down this road wrt age profile and make a net loss on player trading, it ups the pressure to do well in European qualifiers.

IIRC the accounts mentioned the need to qualify for at least the EL group stages in 3 of the next 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

How does that work? 'I've not seen X, therefore Y'! 

I never saw anything to suggest real application, nor any real improvement along the way.

We agree to disagree ?