Rangers 2 (Morelos,Wilson) v Ross County 1

Coyle: Even biased fans will agree we were denied penalty

Author

Laura Brannan

9 December 2017

Rangers came from behind to beat Owen Coyle's Ross County 2-1 at Ibrox.

Owen Coyle was left angered by the lack of decisions that went in Ross County's favour, saying they didn't deserve to be leaving Ibrox without at least a share of the points.

The Highlanders took the lead against Rangers after just 10 minutes but the home side scored twice in the second half to snatch the victory.

The Staggies manager was frustrated by referee Euan Anderson's performance, especially when his side were denied a late penalty.

He believes everyone will collectively agree should have been awarded the spot kick for Bruno Alves' foul on Andrew Davies.

"We certainly shouldn't be leaving with no points from the game, that's for sure," he said at full time. "We certainly deserved more than what we got.

"I'm always loathe to be critical of people but I think it's fair to say there was a number of things that went against us today.

"Late on at 2-1 we should have had a stonewall penalty. Big Andrew Davies runs in to score and Alves, not even looking at the ball, throws him to the ground.

"But it is what it is, we never got it, but that being said we showed a lot of good qualities today. The disappointment was we allowed Rangers back into the game.

"Maybe the referee never saw it but the other officials seemed to see a lot of other stuff today so for me it's a stonewall penalty.

"When we see it back even the most biased would agree we would be looking for a penalty in that incident.

"I thought there were a number of things, not just the penalty late on. Sometimes you get those decisions but we've certainly not had any yet so we must be due a lot of them."

Edited by BEARGER

We simply cannot break down teams that sit in with 2 banks of 4 or 5 , we have no craft from midfield and no runners willing to get past the forward , it would help if Miller was dropped from midfield and we played with a 2 up top .

We need to press with a far greater intensity than we are currently doing , its ok doing it against Aberdeen , they set the standard but keep dropping it against lower teams.

Against teams like today we need creativity and punch up front. Today, we again had Miller all over the place (which is "fine", a long as we have two main strikers elsewhere) and Windass trying to play a striker's role as well as attacking MF and perhaps left MF. Pena was out lost today, bypassed by the game and his fellow players. Kranjcar may not have the legs anymore (though we hardly can tell as long as he ain't playing), but he has the ability to pick a precise pas, controll the ball and also pops in a shot from the edge of the area. Up front it needs to be Herrera and Morelos. Today our attackers were far too easily swamped and usually much too far away from the goal anyway.

Not a great performance today, but a win regardless, it's good to win pretty but an ugly win i'll take every week. We fought for it but we made heavy weather of it, we were ponderous going forward, on the other hand Ross County were extremely fast coming forward. They moved the ball really well with some very accurate passing, we could take a leaf out that book.

Pena was slow as syrup, i was pleased when he never showed for the second half, it was crying out for someone with a bit of pace getting in the box. McCrorie was solid again, hope he not picked up an injury? Windass, John Holt best of the rest for me.

One big positive right now is the young players. It's the young players that are bringing the poised performances and correct attitude to games.

I think Barjonas could play the jack role from what I seen today.