[FT] Hibernian 1 - 2 Rangers (Windass 42; Morelos 45)

The diamond is quite narrow, and although we tended 'dominate' the central area, in the sense that we weren't overrun, their 3-5-2 meant they always had a wing-back open. They got in time after time.

Yeah, that was the reason why we lost the goal on Saturday. A weakness in that formation that oppositions may pounce on if we continue with it without making adjustments.

I agree with much of what you've said there Rousseau, but the one thing I couldn't understand is why we played wide with our defence from the start. There seemed to be a 20-25 yard gap between each of our back 4. Surely, in a narrow formation we play closer together. I couldn't work out why we thought this was the best tactic at the back. It meant they could quite easily play through balls for their quick wide men. We don't have the pace at the back to take those risks, so it seemed a strange one. At first I thought it was maybe to allow us to give some relief to the midfielders by playing it wide to our fullbacks, but we weren't doing that either. I've no doubt Murty and JJ had a reason for it because it was deliberate. We've not had that spacing at the back in any other game this season.

Yeah, that was the reason why we lost the goal on Saturday. A weakness in that formation that oppositions may pounce on if we continue with it without making adjustments.

We could probably allow the far-side Full-back to stay a lot wider, to cover that switch, considering we have such a compact shape.

I agree with much of what you've said there Rousseau, but the one thing I couldn't understand is why we played wide with our defence from the start. There seemed to be a 20-25 yard gap between each of our back 4. Surely, in a narrow formation we play closer together. I couldn't work out why we thought this was the best tactic at the back. It meant they could quite easily play through balls for their quick wide men. We don't have the pace at the back to take those risks, so it seemed a strange one. At first I thought it was maybe to allow us to give some relief to the midfielders by playing it wide to our fullbacks, but we weren't doing that either. I've no doubt Murty and JJ had a reason for it because it was deliberate. We've not had that spacing at the back in any other game this season.

Perhaps just a result of their Wing-backs hugging the touchline? Caught in two minds between shutting out the middle for those through-balls, and covering the switch to the Wing-backs?

Perhaps just a result of their Wing-backs hugging the touchline? Caught in two minds between shutting out the middle for those through-balls, and covering the switch to the Wing-backs?

That's probably the case. Since we've only recently moved to this narrow formation, perhaps we've not trained the team in how to move across (and in what shape) when the ball is switched. As pros they'll know that anyway, but of course it takes a special discipline level to achieve it without wide midfielders. In fact, I've realised that don't know how that should work so I'll go and look that up. I've very little experience of the diamond.

Edited by Gaffer

We could probably allow the far-side Full-back to stay a lot wider, to cover that switch, considering we have such a compact shape.

Don't fully know what you mean by that (my tactical knowledge isn't up with yours) but the problem arose when John pushed up, the team lost the ball and there was nothing down the whole of our left side.

Ain't it interesting how the Scottish media reacts to our win last night?

Rangers face court fight over ‘unpaid bill’ to Charles Green-linked firm The Scotsman 10:38

Rangers handball call was as clear as you will see, says Hibernian boss Neil Lennon Glasgow Evening Times 10:26

Rangers find out it's sometimes better to be lucky than good after Hibs win - big match verdict Daily Record 09:01

Rangers risk losing valuable asset in January with Leeds reportedly keen FutnSoccer (Weblog) 08:36

Rangers face potential court battle over £400k bill row Daily Record 07:07

Graeme Murty admits Rangers might've 'got away with one' after Hibs penalty shout Daily Record 07:03

Louis Moult to Rangers should be a no brainer but lack of joined up thinking at Ibrox means… Daily Record 06:58

Hibernian manager Neil Lennon blasts referee Kevin Clancy Daily Mail 01:44

Graeme Murty happy his team were spared some harsh words Daily Mail 01:35

Graeme Murty has mixed emotions as Rangers battle to win over Hibernian Glasgow Evening Times 01:13

Handball call was as clear as you will see, says Hibernian boss Neil Lennon Glasgow Evening Times 01:13

Murty's Rangers rally to knock off Hibernian ESPN.co.uk 01:03

Lennon angered by 'clear handball' Sky Sports 00:51

Neil Lennon laments penalty call as Hibs ‘batter’ Rangers The Scotsman 00:24

Rangers 'fortuitous', accepts Murty BBC 00:12

'It's a clear penalty' - Neil Lennon BBC 00:12

Grame Murty admits Rangers got lucky against Hibernian as he sweats over the fitness of crocked … The Scottish Herald 23:52 Wed, 13 Dec

Lennon laments 'clear penalty' denial BBC 23:52 Wed, 13 Dec

Lennon: That's biggest battering I've given Rangers as boss STV 23:45 Wed, 13 Dec

'Clearest penalty you will ever see' Neil Lennon slams officials for not awarding spot-kick Daily Record 23:31 Wed, 13 Dec

Mixed Feelings For Murts Rangers FC - Official Site 23:29 Wed, 13 Dec

Hibernian 1 Rangers 2 - A gritty win for Gers at Easter Road Glasgow Live 23:12 Wed, 13 Dec

Delight for Graeme Murty as Rangers make it four The National, Scotland 23:11 Wed, 13 Dec

Hibs 1 Rangers 2 as Graeme Murty’s side survive stonewall penalty shout to stay second – 3… Daily Record 23:10 Wed, 13 Dec

You can bet your bottom Pound or Euro that none of the articles will have any word on this ...

75zpcdds.jpg

... or that it took Clancy 58 mins to book a Hibs player for a tactical foul, after letting half a dozen go without a second glance, not to mention a booking. Yet Holt and Foderingham get ridiculous yellows for next to nothing.

But it is whining Lennon whose memory (if any) does not go back till the Ibrox game, drawing the victim card again. As if he had seen any of the incident any better than Clancy.

And before we, the Bears get all too happy, the DR sends a "you missed Moult, ya dolts" and "hey, Green wants your money" broadside our way. Ah, it must be so simple being a sports journo in Scotland.

Edited by der Berliner

No one likes us dB ...... we don't care. It's all so very frustrating but I can't imagine a better feeling for any of us than when we get 55. Our next title is going to be unbelievable BECAUSE of this crap our club has had to endure.

I am glad the Scottish press are unable to contain their hatred for us. I was glad when I saw the replay of the handball incident and it did indeed hit Bates' arm. I love winning with dodgy decisions going our way - the frothing at the mouth of those who hate us fills me with joy.

Long may it continue.

I thought the substitution of Bates for Barjonas last night was very canny and paid off. Hibs didn't look as dangerous in the last 15 minutes of the match.

A thumbs up for Barjonas last night too - he did well and never hid.