[FT] Rangers 2 (Wilson 56; Morelos 76) - 0 Motherwell

... and it probably also depends on the temperature, weather and surface. Since I rarely see any other half-time warm-ups, I can't tell. Yet I get the feeling that quite a few things have been brought out of proportion and put under the microscope, usually without much reference to other games and players. Over on FF they went bananas about a HT twitter video showing Herrera and Pena doing next to nothing. The Mexicans were given pelters like there was no tomorrow, but only 1 in 20 posters remarked that neither of the other subs actually did anything different. How do we know what they were being told?

One thing is certain is that if Rangers had won 3-0 and had been winning of late this discussion would not even be on the table

It's Christmas day so iv'e not had a lot of time to think about this, but it came to me last night in a dream, we just have to score more than them. Merry Christmas everyone.

You know, I think you might have sussed it!

giphy.gif

Edited by Rousseau

We noticed it as well from the Moffat stand that our subs were missing at half time for about 5 mins, then when they did come out there was a total lack of effort from ALL of them. It was as if they knew Murty wasn't going to change it up till late in the game so it was pointless. I am much more upset at the 11 who played so poorly for the first 75 minutes than the subs who were not used until the game was lost.

Referee - John Beaton :facepalm:

Assistants - Graeme Stewart and Graeme Leslie

Missing - Lee Wallace (groin), Jordan Rossiter (knee), Graham Dorrans (leg OP), Kenny Miller (hamstring), Jak Alnwick (ankle)

It's been said that Windass is one yellow away from a suspension; don't know whether that would apply for the next game or only after the turn of the year.

Having Jack back will give us a little more stability, but I do assume that we will more or less line up like we did against Killie, i.e. 4 at the back, a midfield wall of Holt, McCrorie, and Jack, and thus Candeias, Morelos, and Windass up front. If so, we'll once more lack creativity in midfield and height up front to trouble 'Well with the long balls that will sure come from the back. You would hope that Murty finally noted that and will shake things up "a little."

It should be 3-5-2, and some creativity in the middle. On FF it was noted that we apparently had not a single shot on target from free-kicks all season, which I doubt, but neither can I remember that many. As I noted before, Tavernier's ability to whip in goals from free kicks has virtually gone for good (and it does not matter whether a wall is being made up by Champion- or Premiership players). And of late, he seemingly hits the first man with a cross in 3 out of 5 attempts. For all of Tav's marauding runs, right now even O'Halloran is a more dangerous and competent solution for the right wingback role.

But what to do with the creativity? Motherwell will set up another game plan as Killie, physically straight in our faces with quite a few men behind the ball and doubling up all of the time. It is, by default, a far simpler game plan and far easier to execute than trying to break that down. Not least if you don't have the players to do that. Murty apparently tried to beat Killie with their tactics and on their level and failed. They were all over us and we simply had no answer and leadership to combat this. Maybe we learned from that, but even if we have Jack back ... do we expect to succeed with that tactic again?

So perhaps it is back to playing OUR game as opposed to keeping the opposition from playing theirs? For that to happen we need to keep them in their half and show some dominant attacking play, even if we by-pass most of the midfield. Pace and precision. So, as proposed before, 3 at the back with McCrorie, Alves, and Wilson/Cardoso. In front of them Holt and Jack, who complimented one another rather well. Candeias and John on the wings, Kranjcar as the ball-spreading focus in the middle (and someone who can hit a decent free kick), Morelos and Herrera up front. John and Candeias can track back if need be, likewise Holt and Jack step further forward. Later (60 mins), we bring Windass' pace and Pena's tenacity through the middle into the fray.

Edited by der Berliner

Oh well that’s it! John “the b”@&£?@d Rangers hating official of Bart and wells Beaton” (of blackadder fame) in charge.

Motherwell assaulted us in the semi final I fear the red phone at the southern will already be twitching at this news..........

I wish it was yesterday again?

Edited by cooponthewing