Pacific Quay Musings?

28 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Due to bad work planning I spent all but 6 minutes of last night's match in the car traversing the roads between Buchan and Glasgow with Radio Scotland Sportsound as my company. The pre-match stuff was fine, Steven Thomson, Neil McCan and Tom English weren't the worst, it was balanced and there was a decent interview with a Dutch journalist who gave some insights into PSV. They also interviewed a Rangers podcast guy, maybe This Is Ibrox(?), who was calm and articulate. Tom English threw him a couple of snide questions about fan media and being able to criticise players or the club, but it wasn't anything the guy shouldn't have expected, and frankly something I've thought about too. 

I then proceeded to listen to Rangers get hammered as wave after wave of PSV attack was launched and Rangers struggled to get possession. Liam McLeod described a game that doesn't seem to match the one my son, some friends and the posters on here watched. Dessers work rate and contribution is being complimented on here, while on the tranny he was isolated and ineffective. Cantwell was lucky to stay on the pitch apparently, something that's perplexed most of the bluenoses I've spoken to this morning. It was the crowd noise that told me we'd scored, the commentary was surprisingly muted at that point, Radio Scotland don't celebrate (Rangers?) goals like those Spanish or Brazilian commentators, that's for sure. Our defence were being overran on the radio, while here they're being complimented as our best players. 

It's a shame the commentator wasn't a bit more 'even', as the show was definitely trying to be. 

I don't know if you've seen the game back yet John.

Regarding Dessers, the truth is somewhere in between what you heard on the radio and read in here. I think we are all very elated that we end the night still in contention. Dessers contribution to that with two assists, one being a world class, perfectly timed and weighted pass to Matondo, have glossed over some other issues that persisted. His movement off the ball could have been much better and should have anticipated better positions when players needed support playing out or indeed getting close to dangerous cross that he should have been on the end of, especially first half. 

Our defence worked hard, I mean our CBs. Tav and BB, aka Laurel and Hardy, were indeed very ineffectual on the night, but fully expected against the pacy PSV wide men. They are both really out of their depth against this level of competition.  

Overall, it was a good game plan executed well. We didn't have much possession, but we did well with what we had and I'd argue had the better chances than PSV. We were unlucky not to have won the game. Danilo sclaffed a late chance that just required a wee dink over the legs of their keeper and defender from one yard out. Matondo truly could be the player Kent was in his peak...and more. He's really been re-born this season. 

Edited by weebluedevil

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Anyone watching the Hibs game?  Liam McLeod seems to feel the need to get in an anti-Rangers comment in every 5 minutes, in his incredibly squeaky wee whiny voice.

Did you know Hibs beat us in the 2016 Scottish Cup final... ? 

Golden Girls Logo Classics GIF

During the first half of a Hibs v Aston Villa commentary, Liam McLeod has mentioned Rangers on seven separate occasions.

The 2016 Scottish Cup final  has had two mentions. Once because McGinn, Hanlon and, Stevenson all played in the game, the other because the final is Easter Road fokelore.

Another two mentions for Rangers - Liverpool in last season's Champions League. Once to emphasise the apprehension SPFL Premiership sides have taking on English Premiership clubs. The other as a warning what English clubs can do, the word utilised was, "humiliation".

Liam then mentioned two Villa players, he witnessed Diaby score against Rangers for Leverkusen; then he pipes up on seeing Bailey do similar.

Finally, last night's Ibrox fixture against PSV was raised by Liam, "many thought Dessers was offside in the build up to Rangers second, the new quick VAR decision suggested only the player's arm was offside".

Of course, Liam omitted the big Rangers against Villa story, the 1887 FA Cup semi-final which the Birmingham side won 3-1. Maybe Liam will squeeze it in during the second half?

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Anyone watching the Hibs game?  Liam McLeod seems to feel the need to get in an anti-Rangers comment in every 5 minutes, in his incredibly squeaky wee whiny voice.

That little tyke really needs to be called to order. His disgraceful written piece on website before the game was akin to a PSV blogger. His anti Rangers bias on TV commentary against Servette was loaded with reminders on how bad our last seasons CL group games broke all records. He also had the temerity to include Celtic when referring to Scottish club co - efficiency improvements! (wtf?) I'm sick of the number of times in commentary he  mentions the 2016 cup final when Hibs are involved.

Also, I noticed a new name in this mornings BBC Sports website. A guy called Richard Winton wrote a piece Rabbi Matondo turning the tables for Rangers and himself. Unlike most of the bigoted anti Gers bile produced by PQ, it was reasonably factual article free from their usual bias. Any info on him @26th of foot ?