Pacific Quay Musings?

8 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

"Lizzie's in a Box".

On Saturday last, Ibrox settled to a planned minutes silence for the passing of our country's Monarch these last seventy years. Queen Elizabeth's death has witnessed an outpouring of emotion not seen since World War Two. The last Monarch, George vi passed in 1952; there is little to no collective memory. Ten days of mourning is NOT a huge demand for someone who provided daily service everyday for in excess of 70 years. Think about it, four hours of dispatch box administration every morning beginning at 07.30hrs; including Christmas day, Birthdays, Honeymoon, ................. etc, over 25,000 consecutive days. Truly, a life of service.

Whether your belief systems include Constitutional Monarchy or not, you have to respect the unflinching dedication to the roles of Head of State, Head of the Commonwealth and, Head of Established Church. An elderly woman died aged 96, a Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother, wife, sister, ...... etc; all running interference on unquestioning service. Surely, a minute's contemplative silence is not an unreasonable request? 

As the players took position on the centre circle the booing began within the several hundred Dundee United supporters. As the Referee blew the whistle to begin the silence, the away section broke into four or five choruses of, "Lizzie's in a Box". The culmination of the silence was marked by the first verse of the National Anthem. As God Save the King finished, BBC Radio Scotland commentator, Liam McLeod admitted interruption of the silence then added, "it is impossible to say which part of the ground the interruption to the minutes silence came from". Disinformation in 18 words.

Dundee United issued a statement after the game. It outlined the Board had passed on received information to supporters but acknowledged, "a tiny minority of supporters did not respect the minute's silence". The statement contained no condemnation and no apology. BBC Scotland printed the statement but did not readdress Liam McLeod's ridiculous lie. From the position of the Ibrox gantry, Liam McLeod said, "it is impossible to say which part of the ground the interruption to the minute's silence came from". It is just another BIG LIE to emanate from BBC Scotland reference Rangers and Rangers supporters.

The wording you quote from the Dundee United statement is wrong.

Statement quoted below.

"Dundee United are aware of the actions of a small section of the crowd who chose to not respect the minute's silence before this afternoon's match at Ibrox.

As a club, ahead of the game we reached out to advise our supporters of the pre-match arrangements with the expectation that the minute silence would be observed".

I just watched back the relevant part of Sportscene Highlights package from Saturday evening and the presenter, Steven Thompson read from a prepared sheet of paper and clearly said 'disruption in the away section at Ibrox'.

So albeit later and not admitting that Liam McLeod was f**king at it, they did address where the disruption came from. Something the Dundee United statement, didn't actually do.

Edited by buster.

15 hours ago, buster. said:

The wording you quote from the Dundee United statement is wrong.

Statement quoted below.

I just watched back the relevant part of Sportscene Highlights package from Saturday evening and the presenter, Steven Thompson read from a prepared sheet of paper and clearly said 'disruption in the away section at Ibrox'.

So albeit later and not admitting that Liam McLeod was f**king at it, they did address where the disruption came from. Something the Dundee United statement, didn't actually do.

Buster,

I lifted the quote from Dundee United's statement from BBC Scotland's 'Scottish Football' website. As of last evening, BBC Scotland have taken down all reference to the Rangers - Dundee United game and United's statement. I suspect like before, Editorial control is not what it should be and embellishment ensued? 

Further, early last evening the same website reported Police Scotland were investigating claims from United fans that their section was hit by thrown glass bottles from the home support in the wake of the minute's silence. This report first appeared in the National. Again, there was a difference as a result of lack of Editorial control. BBC Scottish football reported, "the away section was showered by glass bottles". Last night, the entire report was taken down.

I did not see any bottles or objects being thrown and, I sit in the front row of the upper tier of the Sandy Jardine(thus good view). However, I am sure Liam McLeod will itemise the number of bottles, where each emanated from and, the colour and contents of each bottle?

Dundee United fans brought in the bottles and smashed them themselves.  

Bunch of weirdos.  

It's amazing that no away fans are ever seriously injured, given the constant claims of things being thrown at them.  This latest fabrication joins a long list of similar nonsense.  

25 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Buster,

I lifted the quote from Dundee United's statement from BBC Scotland's 'Scottish Football' website. As of last evening, BBC Scotland have taken down all reference to the Rangers - Dundee United game and United's statement. I suspect like before, Editorial control is not what it should be and embellishment ensued? 

Further, early last evening the same website reported Police Scotland were investigating claims from United fans that their section was hit by thrown glass bottles from the home support in the wake of the minute's silence. This report first appeared in the National. Again, there was a difference as a result of lack of Editorial control. BBC Scottish football reported, "the away section was showered by glass bottles". Last night, the entire report was taken down.

I did not see any bottles or objects being thrown and, I sit in the front row of the upper tier of the Sandy Jardine(thus good view). However, I am sure Liam McLeod will itemise the number of bottles, where each emanated from and, the colour and contents of each bottle?

Thanks 26th !

I got the statement from the club website. Did Dundee United amend it or have BBC Scotland modified it?

There aren't noted signs of amendment.  Can hardly believe that BBC Scotland thought they could get away with editing the statement but who knows these days.

When the reference 'cnut' was used for a pic of Kevin Thomson in a Rangers top, on the BBC website, at least it was hidden from plain sight.

Edited by buster.

20 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Buster,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62942308

I can see the above on the game, from the Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...