Pacific Quay Musings?

40 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't have too much of a issue with Irish people wanting a united Ireland, although I disagree with them.  

I do have a problem with anyone singing the praises of a terrorist organisation, that was responsible for the deaths of Scottish and British people, whilst they are residing in or visiting the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  

The press/political set backlash to 'up the 'Ra' seems far less animated than those relating to a song which states a simple fact and then asks a reasonable question of the very same people who wish to turn a blind eye to or indeed join in with the 'up the 'Ra' chant.  

Must be weird living in a country you hate (and a few of the RoI women's team do reside in the UK).  

I'd say it is perfectly normal to want back what somebody else took from you.

The next part (IRA) is really a point of view (terrorist or freedom fighter) and partly to do with where you come from (or don't).

The positive is that these days it tends to be things like singing songs that causes a stooshie opposed to actual carnage,withthe odd exception.

The other thing that has changed of late is the need to video everything and share it on the web, often without the engagement of a brain. An ex Rangers employee did the same last week, when he was employed by the club.

Over time the details go a bit hazy but that article is a chilling reminder of the suffering inflicted on ordinary people by the RA and it makes it all the more sickening that they are being celebrated in our country today.

45 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

They murdered innocent people.  There's no getting away from that. 

I know, I spent 12 months over there on two tours (West Belfast and the Easterly Border).

Like any such conflict, it is mostly about perception, loyalty/patriotism and the ability to block out the uncomfortable detail. The article posted earlier today brings into sharp focus the horrors and attrocities of what the IRA actually did, just as any such list that comes from conflicts. It reminded me of the Iraq cables published by wikileaks.

Edited by buster.

In the car this afternoon so had no option but Sportsound for twenty minutes either side of halftime. Don’t know who the commentator was (not Squealam McLeod) but he didn’t once mention the champions’ stellar victory at Tynecastle nor did he big-up Livingston’s epic defence. He did go on a bit about any Rangers player receiving the ball in space immediately passing it backwards.

Whoever he was is unlikely to broadcast again.